Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: What are your blood lead levels and has your doctor prescribed treatment?

Voters
1301. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 mcg/dL or less

389 29.90%
  • 11 to 25 mcg/dL

106 8.15%
  • 25 to 44 mcg/dL

46 3.54%
  • 45 mcg/dL or more

20 1.54%
  • I've never been tested, but show no symptoms

706 54.27%
  • I've never been tested, but DO show symptoms

15 1.15%
  • My doctor prescribed treatment

6 0.46%
  • My doctor did not prescribe treatment

142 10.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Are you poisoned? The lead blood levels poll...

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Victor N TN View Post
    This time of year, keep in mind that melting lead in an enclosed area can put arsenic compounds in the air. This can cause changes in the blood that can cause gout in your hands and especially your feet.
    I take big orange pills for that.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Originally Posted by JWFilips
    Worry..... about the more important evils in the world...you will not die of lead poisoning!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Unless someone shoots you!
    They call that ACUTE lead poisoning.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Bub
    My wife was all concerned recently after her workplace called her and told her that the water supply tested for high levels of lead. I was worried too, then I remembered my casting operation and that giant stack of ingots I keep in the garage. I've been playing with lead for a long long time and still no brain issues that me is aware of.

Been a Range Master and Instructor since 1990 on a semi-enclosed range. Highest level for me was 17 or 19 way back when. They took me off the range for about 3 months and it settled down to whatever "normal" is. When they fully enclosed that same range and installed a HUGE ventilation system (sucks everything downrange) everyone's levels have remained well within the safe limits.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy

I had to get a blood test any way so I asked the Doc to check my lead level. The doc is a very young 30ish gal and she was shocked that I would ask for a lead test. I explained to her that I grew up around lead paint, pumped leaded gas into cars for years and the water at our work has been tested and found to have high lead levels. I also told her I do some lead casting. (she had no idea what that is)Results came back low normal. (I must be doing something right). An interesting side note: I was not asked about firearms, but was asked if I was happy and did I feel safe at home. I told them I live in a good neighborhood, there has been no crime and the deputy drives through from time to time, so I feel very safe. She looked at me like I lost my mind. As for being happy, this is the best time of my life, so yes I am very happy.

Boolit Master
    I don't have the numbers, but let's look at Flint. 30 years ago, Flint had a lead level of X (let's say 30 some units). There were zero, zilch, nada, nil, none reports of any lead issues in the populace, including infants. They got a new water source and it dropped to Y (let's say 5). Then for some reason (politics??), they switched to a new source. This water was full of suspended solids and such (and had a lead level of Z--let's say 10). So, rather than attack the water supply for DIRT, they attacked for LEAD. The news then shows jugs of dirty water, claiming it's LEAD.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    Got my annual check up a couple of weeks ago. My level is now at a 2! It's clean living here in the Midwest. I guess I need to cast/shoot more?
    My level shot up 50% this year! Yes, from 2 to 3. I'm a little surprised to be honest. But I'm not complaining.

Boolit Buddy
    I was tested last year at my wife's request. Retired blood sucker.... My Dr. looked at me like I was crazy(in a good way) he mumbled something about 1st world problems, he is from India, and asked if I was eating lead? I mentioned Shooting and casting. He was laughing and shaking his head. The next visit I asked about the results and my lead level. He said so low I would live forever... He then went on to explain that unless you are ingesting lead it would be highly unlikely to have elevated levels. I have been casting for a long time(1979) but smelting and casting lots since(2010) rekindling the joys of bullseye again.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I finally got a test. 5 mcg/dL.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I had my lead levels tested this spring, and it came back at 28 mcg/dL. The doc said it was high, but not enough to require any extreme measures. I cast my own, so I assumed it was the casting that was causing this, but I was wrong.

I shoot at an indoor range, supposedly with good ventilation twice a week. Since I'm a reloader, it's not unusual for me to go through 200-300 rounds each time. I think this may be a significant contributor to my lead levels.

Being in Wisconsin, near Lee, I happened upon a book written by Lee, where a family friend was trying to figure out where their high lead levels were coming from. They used a lead sniffer to measure, and determined that the tumblers had a very high amount of lead around them. The casting area was clean.

I now use a 3M organic vapor mask near my tumblers, and have begun wet sonic cleaning my brass.

Hopefully this will reduce my levels.

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised that all you fellas have survived as long as this thread.

Anybody out there casting depleted uranium?
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post

........they told me I couldn't do that anymore.................the dull glow and faint hum coming from my backyard was frightening the neighbors........
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post

I'm casting silver, so I guess my levels should reverse (or at least make me immune to werewolf or vampire bites...)

Boolit Master

Had my level checked at my last Dr. appointment. It was a 3.

Been casting Boolits, shot and smelting since I was 22 or so.I am now 64. Been careful and it shows

I shoot tons of wax bullets propelled by 209 primer(no powder) in a confined space(basement) but with ventilation. The primers contain nasty chemicals and lead. Is always smoky there. I have blood tests periodically and until now I'm safe(around 9mcg)
    The only think that worries me is the smelting pot. Casting is safe, but the smelter kinda worries me.
    The bad part about lead is not that all of a sudden I will have hair loss, teeth falling and the flesh coming out of my hands. Lead in the system triggers affections that we are prone to. No doctor will be able to tell why certain disease kicked in unless is an obvious reason. Lead MAY BE a trigger in other health respects and that is what makes lead a sneaky SOB.
    Blood test is the best way to find in time if is time for a change of habits.
    Just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    An interesting side note: I was not asked about firearms, but was asked if I was happy and did I feel safe at home. I told them I live in a good neighborhood, there has been no crime and the deputy drives through from time to time, so I feel very safe. She looked at me like I lost my mind. As for being happy, this is the best time of my life, so yes I am very happy.
    That's a standard question now. I forget what they are screening for but it seems ridiculous to me when they ask.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    That's a standard question now. I forget what they are screening for but it seems ridiculous to me when they ask.
    Happy to say my blood levels and all tests came back green across the board. No silly questions asked either, though I don't think my dr recognized me since I go so infrequently.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone here use a HEPA filter unit when they cast? I picked up one and run it so that it draws the smoke off the top of the pot and filters it. Seems to work good for the smoke anyway.

Less than 3. I got only 2 on my test casting lead for 13 years
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast