WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

View Poll Results: What are your blood lead levels and has your doctor prescribed treatment?

Voters
1300. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 mcg/dL or less

389 29.92%
  • 11 to 25 mcg/dL

106 8.15%
  • 25 to 44 mcg/dL

46 3.54%
  • 45 mcg/dL or more

20 1.54%
  • I've never been tested, but show no symptoms

705 54.23%
  • I've never been tested, but DO show symptoms

15 1.15%
  • My doctor prescribed treatment

6 0.46%
  • My doctor did not prescribe treatment

142 10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Are you poisoned? The lead blood levels poll...

Boolit Master

fyi: mcg/dL in this test is the micrograms of lead per deci-Liter of blood. One microgram = 1/1000000 grams = 0.0000000022 pounds, 1 dL = 1/10 liter. No doctor tests for lead, all the tests are done by a laboratory. USA labs usually quote mcg/dL because the OSHA regulations are written in these terms. Foreign labs often use microMols per liter because they write their regulations using those units.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    >If you look back in history you can see the wonderful effects of lead poisoning. You know the whole gang violence thing in the 1990s? You can link the growth of gang violence, and then the subsequent reduction in violent crime over the last 15 years, to the wonderful power of large groups of the under priviledged being exposed to leaded gasoline vapors.

My God man, do you have any proof for that?
    Where were all the lead deaths in L.A. (or even lead-poisoning reports) during all the years of heavy smog and lead emissions?
    Lead poisoning has historically been due to long term exposure from lead pipes. We have spent at least 60 years in the US getting rid of lead paint (you know, children reportedly just love snacking on lead paint) and 40 years getting rid of leaded gasoline, and the government still reports children being exposed to high levels of lead. Of course, the levels keep going down, they just redefine what HIGH is.
    Best way to control a populace is to keep them scared and reliant on YOU to protect them.
    Again, there are virtually NO lead fumes from molten lead until you get to boiling lead. Need good ventilation for casting for flux fumes.
    Lead is a problem when ingested, so you don't eat, drink, or smoke while using lead. You wash your face and hands and blow your nose afterwards.
    The theory you condemn does indeed sound fanciful. But I believe the theory many advanced, and did back up fairly convincingly from research, was that lead from gasoline in high-traffic areas produced mental impairment rather than death. Who is to notice a little more of that in inner-city LA?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    Been casting for quite awhile, bit down on many a split shot, worked with white lead on the job for 45+yrs. I have many of the aches and pains that old age brings on.
    I've outlived most all my friends. Mentioned to the doc about my shooting and casting and she recommended a lead test. I answered,Why? I'm not going to change anything and why ruin one of the few things I enjoy anymore.
    Almost everybody in this thread who has been tested reports getting results which they also enjoyed, and which ruined nothing. Of course we can't know whether any former board members are now one with the soil as a result of casting, but the possibility seems a very remote one.

Boolit Master

Just got this year's results back, even lower than last year. Poll wouldn't let me enter results again. Under 10!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I'm 62, have been shooting since I was 8. Started casting boolits in my teens till I was 30 and just started casting again three years ago. Have shot up to 40K rounds a year of lead boolits while competing but now probably average 10-12K a year.

My blood level at one point was running 32-35 but not because of casting...it was doing a lot of work and instructing on an inadequately vented indoor range where cast boolits were mandatory. When a lot of the range officers were turning up with 30-40 lead levels the range was changed to jacketed only which helped tremendously.

I no longer am associated with that range and do most of my shooting outside. My lead levels run in the teens.

As to someone who has died of lead poisoning, there was a LEO instructor/range officer about 15 years ago in Mass. who did. It was found out later he was actually seen eating his sandwich while policing up the brass on the indoor range. Can't remember how many years he had been doing that but it caught up with him...

Bob

Boolit Bub
    here's a great little article written by a doctor concerned for his son's health (who, by the way, still shoots more than anybody else i know) . . . it's a quick read and very informative:

http://www.tenxshootingclub.com/2015...f-lead-levels/

what i find most interesting is that there are STILL so many OTHER sources of ingesting lead than loading/shooting:

"This entire region is well-known for its industrial pollution. Lead solder is commonly found in household plumbing. There are still a significant number of water mains in the metropolitan region that were made of wood with lead (oakum) caulking. The region is also well-known for high Radon gas levels and Radon decays to lead dust. Reducing contamination can be trial-and-error."

the links at the end of the article are very useful as well if you really want to get into this topic.

hope it helps to shed some light on the subject.

JtheD
    Last edited by JimmyTheDentist; 02-21-2015 at 10:26 AM.
    "Sometimes a society becomes too stupid to survive." Mark Steyn

Boolit Master

It is time to dispell the myth that it is Lead BOOLITS that is the problem.
    It is Lead STYPHNATE in the primer that is the problem.
    Adequately venting your shooting area, following good house-keeping procedures, and good personal hygene, all pertaining to range attendance and reloading procedure is THE key.

Boolit Buddy

I seldom go to the doctor at all but somewhat regularly get examined for buying life insurance. They always do a blood chemistry profile which must turn out out for me as I always get favorable rates for insurance.

What I would like to know is what are the symptoms of lead poisoning? I'm sure it was mentioned here in this thread but I don't have the stamina to go through 22 pages to find it.

Last week I had a blood lead concentration performed at the clinic. The results back are 5.2 mcg/dL.
    I am 67 years old, grew up in a suburb, have not worked in a high exposure environment, have never been shot and have only occasionally casted and reloaded bullets during the last 30 years.

5.2 appears to be a low level concentration, the reference levels go up to 60, however, 5 is a level of concern for children and pregnant women. My doctor does want to have a chat about this and I wish I had had a test some years ago as a base line to compare to, however, 5.2 is not bad and perhaps in a few years I will get another done to see if my casting and reloading work is adding to the concentration.

I will cast in a well ventilated area, not snack while working and scrub my hands well when I am done.

Banner Sponsor

I had mine tested a couple years ago and the Doc said I was just fine, he didn't tell me a number or I just forgot it?
    I've been casting with WW for about 30 years now. Some years I've gone through about 300# of WW in one summer, but more usually it's probably somewhere around 100# ish a year.
    I've always followed the saftey rules of, don't eat or drink while you are smelting or casting. Don't even have it in the same room. Do it in a well ventilated area, and wash up when you are done.

Boolit Master
    If you are over 55 years old, you're too old to be bothered by anything other than a toxic level of lead.
    They keep lowering the numbers to maintain control.
    ANYTHING under 10 is GREAT.
    The whole toxic lead thing has been so overblown.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    Got my results back yesterday.... I'm a 4! My lead level that is.
    Got my annual check up a couple of weeks ago. My level is now at a 2! It's clean living here in the Midwest. I guess I need to cast/shoot more?

Boolit Mold
    mine came in at a disappointing 255 ug/L
    im on quarantine for awhile I'd say.

I couldn't believe it and still can't. Even called the doctors office twice to see if it was a mistake.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dash1979 View Post
    mine came in at a disappointing 255 ug/L
    im on quarantine for awhile I'd say.

I couldn't believe it and still can't. Even called the doctors office twice to see if it was a mistake.
    So after freaking out worrying is 255 ug/L same as 25.5 mcg/dl?

What Lead Levels are Considered Elevated in Adults?

• At levels above 80 µg/dL, serious, permanent health damage may occur (extremely dangerous).
    • Between 40 and 80 µg/dL, serious health damage may be occuring, even if there are no symptoms (seriously elevated).
    • Between 25 and 40 µg/dL, regular exposure is occuring. There is some evidence of potential physiologic problems (elevated).
    • Between 10 and 25 µg/dL, lead is building up in the body and some exposure is occuring.

The typical level for U.S. adults is less than 10 µg/dL (mean = 3 µg/dL).

If Im 25.5 I'm happy, conversion makes the difference. Why they gave my results in Liters not deciliters.

Boolit Master

You are correct 255 ug/l = 25.5 ug/dl = 25.5mcg/dl
    Nothing to worry about unless your doc is hypersensitive.

Boolit Master
    Yep Zero affects after 30 plus years of casting lead boolits! Been tested twice after the last time show ZERO INCREASE I stopped getting tested. Then again I never shot inside at an indoor range either . Probably never will.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    If you are over 55 years old, you're too old to be bothered by anything other than a toxic level of lead.
    They keep lowering the numbers to maintain control.
    ANYTHING under 10 is GREAT.
    The whole toxic lead thing has been so overblown.
    That's quite a strong statement going against recent scientific research data.
    Would you mind giving us references to recent scientific data backing your point or is this just your point of view (meaning it's not worth anything)?
    (Like old timers saying ABS, traction control and seatbelts aint good, and smoking isnt bad, etc?)

Boolit Master
    Kryogen, to me every persons opinion on this board has value. At one point or another, they have offered help with ideas based on opinion and experience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Kryogen, to me every persons opinion on this board has value. At one point or another, they have offered help with ideas based on opinion and experience.
    Great, then let me share with you my mom's opinion on shooting and lead.

My mom says lead is toxic.
    My wife thinks the same. She says I should sell all my guns and quit, and buy a horse.
    My father wonders why guns exist, he says that it's bad.

Now could we get back to facts ?

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast