Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

View Poll Results: What are your blood lead levels and has your doctor prescribed treatment?

Voters
1304. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 mcg/dL or less

392 30.06%
  • 11 to 25 mcg/dL

106 8.13%
  • 25 to 44 mcg/dL

46 3.53%
  • 45 mcg/dL or more

20 1.53%
  • I've never been tested, but show no symptoms

706 54.14%
  • I've never been tested, but DO show symptoms

15 1.15%
  • My doctor prescribed treatment

6 0.46%
  • My doctor did not prescribe treatment

142 10.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you poisoned? The lead blood levels poll...

Boolit Buddy
    I just got my results back!
    25ug/dl
    the Doc doesnt seem worried, and I'm not eather, but I want to see if I can get them down just for the heck of it.

I have a three prong attack plan:
    -more Vitamin C
    -wash hands more carefully after handling Lead
    -wear a P100 respirator at the range

I suspect the vast majority of my lead intake is from the indoor range I shoot at, its older and not terribly well ventilated.

~graphic mental image alert~

whenever I get done shooting there I always blow black/grey snot out of my nose for several hours after.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    For a 50 mile radius of where I type, Lead and Zinc were mined for half a century. They still find mine shafts and lead is everywhere. Blown by the wind and routinely disturbed by construction and nature. My aunt, who passed away in Dec, 2011, lived within blocks of lead mines until she was 17. As a child, she used to run to the top of the tailing piles with her friends on most days. So it is with many of the old timers around here.
    My point is she lived to be 96 years old. Her Father worked in the mines during the depression, when he could not find other work. He lived to be 80 something.
    Many people rode dirt bikes and "dune buggies" in the miles of desolate gravel tailings. There were no respirators in the 60s through the 80s. One would think lead exposure would be deadly for these natives. Not so.
    So we weigh the risks and make our choices. I think more people die from obesity each year, than from lead poisoning. (Not counting the body piercing type lead poisoning.) Reclining on the couch watching American Idol and Survivor. You can find me out in the garage. Casting and reloading or maybe working on my jeep.
    Like I have pretty much been doing since 1976.

Got my results today, less than 2 ug/dl.

Boolit Master

Got my results, ~6 ug/dl, they said California spec is <4.8. he does recommend corrective actions. We live in a house built in 1949 with 7 layers of paint (at least three are lead paint I am sure of it!). Not sure if it's from our remodeling or the casting. I haven't smelted in 6 months due to my son's level measuring high 6 months ago (now its <2, rechecked).

I asked for zinc, copper, tin and tungsten also due to work, but they couldn't test for all of that. They COULD test for copper and arsenic, of all things. I'm still waiting for the arsenic test. I'm wondering if that's low, can I conclude it's not the wheelweights but the lead paint. In either case, I know my wife is gonna pitch a fit for being 1.2ug over the CA limit. She already said no more smelting (not from HER research, but because that was MY suggestion for corrective action when my son came back with blood level of ~5), She'll see what she can screw out of me over this one.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 03-18-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Got my results, ~6 ug/dl, they said California spec is <4.8. he does recommend corrective actions. We live in a house built in 1949 with 7 layers of paint (at least three are lead paint I am sure of it!). Not sure if it's from our remodeling or the casting. I haven't smelted in 6 months due to my son's level measuring high 6 months ago (now its <2, rechecked).
    I assume you're an adult? No disrespect intended toward you or your doc, but you need to get a second opinion. Anything under about 10 is OK for you, and I wouldn't start getting concerned until it approaches 20. Monitor, yes. Corrective action, ridiculous. (disclaimer: I am not a doctor)

Are you still shooting at an indoor range? That's where most of us get significant lead exposure.

Boolit Master

nope, it's well known that CA pared back standards to beyond-needed levels.

No disrespect taken in either case.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Mercury. Played with it as a kid. You all did. Then it got poisonous. Read the Greenies reactions to a broken thermometer in a school nowadays. Got to get the overpaid HazMats Suits out there to clean up, then determine that it was an alcohol thermometer after all. Jerks. Jerks. Jerks.
    Oh hell yes. I was in 6th grade and some klutz at the local high school dropped an 8 lb flask of mercury. My friend Chris and I got an eyedropper and sucked up about a pint of the stuff before we were chased off. We played with it until our hands were black. We shot it out of BB guns. we did everything inquisitive kids do with cool stuff including making "dimes" out of pennies.
    I got tested a while back and not a trace of that stuff in me. I guess God does watch out for fools and children.

Boolit Master
    >I guess God does watch out for fools and children.

No, what it shows is how much control government wants in our lives and how every government agency must show that "it is doing something." A lead content of 20 isn't even bad, but the goal for the last 40 years is to continue to scale down permitted exposure to justify the existence of the agency--the local, county, state, and federal agencies that all have the same remit and must justify themselves.
    Where they are now is in the normal range of non-exposure (remember, heavy metals are normal part of the world and get taken up by food naturally) and trying to regulate below what is even possible if one lives a life in the world.

Boolit Master

Well then, the answer is clear. You just have to live life in THEIR world. Make some GMO vegetables that CAN'T take up mercury and lead and tungsten and other heavy metals. Then you can market your stuff as extra clean from toxic heavy metals.

Buy my seeds. Mine. My patented seeds.

My special building materials.

My special toys made especially for you.

As long as you agree that you are free to do anything I allow you to do.

I walked around the woods as a kid with 22 bullets in my mouth. (single shot Martini action rifle)
    Then I went to college and worked at a gunsmith outfit doing blue and polish work.
    Followed by the Navy living inside a ship with asbestos, guys spraying copper and lead based paint etc...
    Then went into 20 years of police work as a weapons instructor shooting indoors a-lot...
    Oh, I forgot to mention I also did another 25 years of military reserve duty which overlapped the police work... Supervising weapons training army and Air-Force..
    AND THE WHOLE LAST 50 YEARS, I was casting bullets, lead fishing weights, and drinking from copper pipes with lead soldered joints.

The military tested my blood levels and so has the VA.

I do not have anything worth getting excited about... The whole scare is pure BS...

One day I will drop over dead just like everyone else.... including the healthy granola crunchers who will wonder why they are dying of nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    >I guess God does watch out for fools and children.

No, what it shows is how much control government wants in our lives and how every government agency must show that "it is doing something." A lead content of 20 isn't even bad, but the goal for the last 40 years is to continue to scale down permitted exposure to justify the existence of the agency--the local, county, state, and federal agencies that all have the same remit and must justify themselves.
    Where they are now is in the normal range of non-exposure (remember, heavy metals are normal part of the world and get taken up by food naturally) and trying to regulate below what is even possible if one lives a life in the world.
    See...... it's true..... we ARE lead deficient..............

I got my results back today. I'm at a 6. I was worried for no reason. My doctor thinks that the 115+ yr old lead pipes, that are in my house, deliver more lead than my casting "habits". lol
    do unto others................

Boolit Buddy
    I have know lead particles in me.Since early 70's.The Dr.say's I'm safe as you can't process anything out of lead in your body.It won't harm me.Today if you look at the NRA's standings about the scientist findings about Condors. Having lead go down any living animals food processing system will do them no harm. Kalifornia made a anti lead hunting bullet law. Due to trumped up false beliefs that lead boolits killed Condors when they ate dead animals killed by lead boolits.In black,and white proven false by scientist.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

I just had mine tested at my recent physical and they said everything came back normal for levels, but didn't give me the actual number on the results. Will have them test again at next year too.

Boolit Master
    Had mine checked, I'm at 16. Within normal range but the doc thought they were a bit high. I'd like to bring 'em down, I plan on cleaning up my area better and being more careful around lead.

I used to cast bullets a lot doing thousands at any one time. I also was the Chief firearms instructor for a indoor LEO range for 6 years. During that time I was exposed to a lot of harsh carcinogenic chemicals at the same time. Admittedly I was a smoker during all of that. I did come down with throat cancer, squaimus cell carcinoma. By the time I was diagnosed I was stage 4 and it had gotten into my lymph system also. That was 1996. Needless to say I survived it. The doctor didn't think my smoking had anything to do with it although admittedly I would smoke when I was working on the range and my hands were dirty. The Dr thought it was more likely the carcinogenic chemicals that we used at the range and kept in 50 Gal drums. I don't know and have no opinion though I haven't smoked since then. I quit casting and working with lead, just in case and sold all my stuff including my Star sizer with lots of punches and dies and my H&G molds that I had been acquiring since the 70's. Now I find I need to get back into casting as an insurance policy against not being able to get the bullets I need. I've already noticed that H&G 68's are hard to find pre-cast. The .44 and .41 GC's that I use I get from Montana Bullets but I would like to have the same molds of my own. It will be expensive and a pain to get back into it but I intend to do it.
    Men lie about 3 things, gas mileage, sex, and group size

Boolit Grand Master

Actually, anything 40 and less is OK by OSHA for a lead worker.

The 10 value is for children, not adults.

I wouldn't believe anything Cali came up with, they think semiauto rifles cause crime. They
    are the DEFINITION of full of carp.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    I well remember my pants being white with DDT while dusting tobacco as a kid when no one knew any better, plus I was involved with all kinds of other nasty chemicals while farming. During my career working on cars I was around asbestos all the time. Also I have used paint products with isocyanates for many years. Point being, I'M STILL HERE.
    I started casting bootits this morning and am I worried? Use reasonable precaution and everything will be OK. We are all in the process of dieing anyway. May as well enjoy it.
    Last edited by shuckinthecorn; 01-10-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

DDT has been proven harmless to people. Millions have died in Africa due to malaria
    because of the lies put out by the EPA and false claims of human and animal injury.

ALL LIES.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Back in the 70's and 80's, I shot a LOT and shot mostly bullets I cast myself and most of it was indoors.

I worked at a Navy shipyard, and had to have annual physicals. I asked about 1987 to have my lead level checked, it came back at 12 ug/dl, Doc told me not to worry about and I haven't.

Steve