Lee PrecisionADvertise hereRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsTitan Reloading

View Poll Results: What are your blood lead levels and has your doctor prescribed treatment?

Voters
1211. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 mcg/dL or less

361 29.81%
  • 11 to 25 mcg/dL

98 8.09%
  • 25 to 44 mcg/dL

42 3.47%
  • 45 mcg/dL or more

17 1.40%
  • I've never been tested, but show no symptoms

662 54.67%
  • I've never been tested, but DO show symptoms

14 1.16%
  • My doctor prescribed treatment

6 0.50%
  • My doctor did not prescribe treatment

125 10.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627

Thread: Are you poisoned? The lead blood levels poll...

I started being tested when I have blood done. Im at 4. So.... im cool. I do drink while reloading, and while casting, But I try not to touch the lip of my glass/bottle. I always wash my hands after doing any reloading, or casting. But not after handling ammo and guns. I handle ammo and guns a lot some days.

Has anyone seen any research that distinguishes the lead dust from priming compounds vs. the lead dust from the actual boolits? My guess is that the primers are the big culprit of lead dust in empty brass.

If we could get priming compounds that were lead free, I think that would ameliorate a lot of the lead dust exposure we get as reloaders. So far the best lead-free priming system I've encountered is my flintlock. But they don't make flintlock 1911s.

Boolit Master

I've had blood test in recent years for liver and heart, and heavy metals was tested for.. I don't think it's ever been over 4.

I restore antique tractors ( lead paint ), and have sanded on those things for decades. I've also done extensive solder work for a (mumble) few decades.

I don't do anything super special. sanding I wore a paper dust mask, maybe 15% of the time.. never when soldering or casting. MOST of the time I handled lead bare handed, though white powdery lead, i generally DID wash my hands after. I don't lick my fingers or eat around lead.. pretty sure I have drank from a water bottle with an open cap. I reload with lead.. etc.

Boolit Master
    Seems the more dense a material is, the more toxic. Take the synthetic radio active substance cesium 137. One gram of it has more atoms than all the grains of sand on all the beaches of the world. Two grams vaporized is enough to make Central Park in New York City a no-go zone for a couple hundred years. There are far worse things out there than lead.

Boolit Master
    I spent over 25 years as a LEO armorer and have been a boolit caster for 45 years (before, during and after LEO employment). My armorer duties began when revolvers and lead boolits were the normal carry combination and all my work of de-leading the revolvers was completed bare handed. Somewhere around 10 years ago I asked my MD to test specifically for lead levels when he was ordering a routine blood draw. The doctor may have given me a specific number for the lead content in me, can't remember that he did, but his summary comment was that the lead reading was so low it was completely insignificant. Works for me. Now, just which mold am I going to warm up today? Quick answer - the 311359 that I just modified to a flat point design as a light weight recreational boolit. Let's see how that one groups.

I've had lead in my system since I was a baby.
    I know this because my father always called me Lead A**.

Alaska Mike, I like Mexican food, esp. the Salsa, so making my own, reading about Cilantro, I was surprised about the claims that it purifies water & also removes "heavy Metals" from our bodies, I just plain love the taste of it, my 2Cents, Fivefang

jCwit, you should be more concerned wit Monsanto fertilizing our crops, than a Chino Coffee mug, Fivefang

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627