Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning rusty moulds

cleaning rusty moulds

Bought 12+ moulds today at an estate sale, they all show some light surface rust, the cavities look ok with no rust. Whats the best way to clean and store these moulds? TIA Paul S

Boolit Master
    Knorustol and elbow grease. Not sure if knorustol is still imported, it's like flitz but with some chemicals added that really do a job on rust. I got it from a machine shop supply house several years back and am not sure on the spelling.

A light coating of oil is all that's needed to protect molds when storing them.

Boolit Master
    Apparently my spelling sucks

Boolit Master
    EVAPORUST at WALMART or friendly local auto parts store. Do some internet price checks so you get it at a reasonable price.

I used it on a bunch of moulds that had been sitting in a wooden box for years. The cavities were pretty good, but the outsides needed attention.

Boolit Mold

Try heating white vinegar and placing them in that.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ... a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF or Marvel's Mystery Oil. This concoction measured 68 foot pounds using a torque wrench in a test by machinists to open a seized rusted bolt. The lowest foot pounds compared to many commercial products. Shake well before using
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Amazing find, JB. Never would have suspected that. Now, just got to remember it: The creepy crawly agenda of acetone! ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I've had good luck using liquid dish soap (not the kind for automatic dishwasher) water, and a fingernail brush for light rust. If the rust on the outside of mold is stubborn a cleanser like Comet or Ajax with the brush will get it but do not use it on the cavity. The dish soap and brush without the cleanser has worked for me for light rust inside a cavity. A toothbrush is great for getting inside and cleaning the tiny grooves. If the cavity's rust is heavy and not removed with soap, water and a non-metal brush chances are you will have some pitting to deal with. I cleaned a heavily pitted mold's cavity with an over night soaking of PB Blaster. The pitted mold drops some ugly looking castings but surprisingly they shoot good and do not lead the bore.

For short time storage I use what ever oil is handy usually aerosol Rem-Oil or WD-40. I remove the oil by washing it off with soap, hot water, and brush. For long time storage I use Vaseline. I put the molds packed with Vaseline in a plastic baggie enabling me to handle the molds without getting my hands greasy.

EDIT: Here is a picture of the casting from a severly pitted mold. It shoots best using Lee's Tumble Lube as dropped. The gas check, sizing and hard lube proved to be a waste of time and money. Did absolutley nothing to improve the shot to shot accuracy.
    Last edited by azrednek; 09-07-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: ADDED PICTURE

To remove rust from small areas like a mold cavity, a special tool that watchmakers use for rust removal is a fiberglass bristle brush pen. It has a little round tuft of fiberglass bristles about 3/16 of an inch in diameter that can be constantly lowered by turning the other end of the pen-like tool as the bristles wear. This tool will not touch metal but cleans away rust very well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    ... a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF or Marvel's Mystery Oil. This concoction measured 68 foot pounds using a torque wrench in a test by machinists to open a seized rusted bolt. The lowest foot pounds compared to many commercial products. Shake well before using
    Back in the late 60's and early 70's while I was in the auto parts business. Many auto mechanics were using a similar mix using rubbing alcohol and ATF. Depending on whom was telling it. The mix varied from 50/50, 70/30 etc. There were plenty of mechanics that claimed Coca Cola was the best penetrating oil for rusty nuts and bolts. The mechanics would use what ever favorite mix or commercial remedy, use an air nozzle to force it into the threads and then spray it again.

Le Loup Solitaire

De-rusting molds

I'll second the motion for Evaporust. I didn't know that it was carried by Walmart. I found it at Harbor Freight. It is very efficient and gets rid of the rust without doing anything negative to the object being treated. Simply washes off when finished. On light rust it works fast; on heavy rust it takes longer. Seems like it is just the thing for bullet molds and small gun parts. LLS

Boolit Bub
    How about Naval Jelly?

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post

I've never been able to get the acetone and ATF to stay mixed long enough to work.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

Electrolytic rust removal:

http://schoepp.hylands.net/electrolyticrust.html

A quick and easy set up I have used several times:

Last edited by imashooter2; 02-06-2018 at 08:11 AM.

I'm sold on Evaporust. Check out my review:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ight=evaporust

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8BC7E7C-3EA3-4692-8638-EECB058B81AB.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	213956These will all prove helpful as I begin a long process of cleaning up 21 vintage moulds I recently acquired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moulds.jpg  
    Last edited by Sled; 02-11-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added mould photo

Boolit Grand Master

I recently use EvapoRust on several die sets. It worked well but it also removes the blueing. I could not find it at any of the Walmarts near me and ordered mine off of Amazon.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by paul s View Post
    Bought 12+ moulds today at an estate sale, they all show some light surface rust, the cavities look ok with no rust. Whats the best way to clean and store these moulds? TIA Paul S
    Look up electrolytic rust removal. It removes red rust and converts it to a light black rust If you want to try PM and I can send you the required eqptment only issue i have found is after cleaning it will re flash rust rapidy unless oiled or waxed I have used system to clean old tools and a micrometer should be perfect on mold blocks. It does not effect any good metral. PM me if you are interested on trying it.

There was just a discussion on that very subject here.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-H-amp-G-mould
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Balkandom View Post
    How about Naval Jelly?
    I just used Naval Jelly on my H&G mould. Worked very well.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast