Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohaus 505 scale, bum deal?

Boolit Buddy

Ohaus 505 scale, bum deal?

Was at a garage sale yesterday. Saw a manual Ohaus 505 scale, looked identical to my RCBS scale and it was priced at 10 bucks. I bought it, brought it home and looked it over closely. Should have done that before...

It won't zero. It's not quite touching the bottom but it's close to touching the bottom. It does have both the hook and weighted holder as well as the copper dish. Adjusting the screw on level adjuster can't help. I've got it bottomed out and all the sliders at 0.

It does seem to do repeatable measurement. I weighed a nickel 3 times yesterday and it came up the same each time. I haven't compared weights using my RCBS scale though I think that's probably my next move.

Did I buy a piece of junk? Or does it just need some TLC and/or "this scale is x.xx grains low" and use it safely?

You may have the wrong powder tray on it.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    hmmm. I suppose it's possible that the seller mixed up powder trays. I know for a fact that it's the powder tray it came with (from the garage sale). It and my RCBS scale haven't been on the same level. There's been no opportunity for me to mix it up.

What would your next move be? Should I figure out how much it's off by and maybe try to weight the powder tray?

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Does it indicate heavy or light?

Heavy, I would (carefully) file off the difference. Light, maybe a little superglue on the bottom until it zeroes?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    hmmm. I suppose it's possible that the seller mixed up powder trays. I know for a fact that it's the powder tray it came with (from the garage sale). It and my RCBS scale haven't been on the same level. There's been no opportunity for me to mix it up.

What would your next move be? Should I figure out how much it's off by and maybe try to weight the powder tray?
    Most, if not all, Ohaus scales have a small, screwed on, container on the bottom of the pan platform. This contains an amount of lead shot that can be added to or removed from to adjust the beam to zero.

Check that and see if you can add or subtract from the shot container to make it work.

Hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Buddy
    Right now it indicates light.

That's really helpful Tom. I'll figure it how much it's off and hopefully just add some shot to zero it out. Thanks!

Yep, it's a balance scale, you need to get it to zero and then you can check accuracy but, I would not do any filing off of anything, that shot cup is the place to start. No shot cup and you can add weight to the hanger.
    Just for giggles try another powder tray on it to see the difference. My 5-10 will not balance with other trays.

Boolit Master
    where is the da## like button? add shot to the tray to zero the scale. then add that shot to the ballast.

Yep, your likely still good on your deal.

Add whatever you need to to the pan to get it to zero first.

Then remove the screw in the holder.

Then dump what ever is in the pan in with the shot and put it back together, good to go.

In Remembrance

Just a thought. If adding more shot, use the smallest pellets you have (#8, 9 size) adds a little weight and takes up little room in the tray.Robert

Even a #12 shot weighs about .2 of a grain but you can clip any of them down with fingernail clippers.

This too...adjust the screw adjustment leg on the left to where it's 1/2 way in and 1/2 way out before adding shot. Do it on a verified level surface too. That should put you back to original an all regards.

Boolit Master
    some has a SS tray that is your problem , but as said add shot to pan to 0 and then put in bottom.
    make sure the table is level before you start and the scale base is too
    if you need a SS tray I have one

Boolit Master

I just received a 505 from a member here that was missing the tray. Tried my Ohaus tray and had the same result as you. Called RCBS right after I received it and told them my story(so they knew I had bought it second hand) and said they would have one in the mail to me ASAP, no charge. Not only that but I was on hold waiting and had to make another call so I hung up, figuring I would try again tomorrow. About 10 minutes later I received a call from them asking how they could help me! Wow. Now that is customer service.

Got a free Ohaus with the wire arm broken off of the cradle. Mine was aluminum so I used a set of the zinc rods to solder the wire arm back on, then adjusted the lead bb's in the base until it balanced. It was surplus to my needs so I gave it to my buddy when he started reloading 10-15 years ago.

Also clean the bearing blocks. Make sure the knife edge is not bent or dull and has not worn a groove in the bearing blocks.

Boolit Grand Master

Once you get the proper pan and wire hanger with the place for weights, you will be up and running in no time. Call RCBS.
    If you have need an in between shot weight , flatten the round shot and cut in halves or quarters for fine balancing .
    Gary

If you call RCBS that's fine but don't send them the scale, they are no longer US made.

I have done 2 rcbs 505 scales this way years ago. Work well to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Yep, your likely still good on your deal.

Add whatever you need to to the pan to get it to zero first.

Then remove the screw in the holder.

Then dump what ever is in the pan in with the shot and put it back together, good to go.

I have the RCBS 10-10, purchased it earlier this year, got some replacement parts free from RCBS. Works great, but the new style "tenth" sticky lines are not accurate. If anybody has a parts scale with the old style sticky I sure would like to have the sticky.

Have a blessed day,

Leon