Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some 38/40 reloading advice please...

I'm using Missouri bullets 180gr .401 with a flat nose and good grooves, no longer see it on their site for some reason. It sits on 5.5-6gr. of Trailboss, which I like since it's so fluffy it fills much of the case making it almost impossible to double charge.

I shoot it out of an original '73, very mild load.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    I'm using Missouri bullets 180gr .401 with a flat nose and good grooves, no longer see it on their site for some reason. It sits on 5.5-6gr. of Trailboss, which I like since it's so fluffy it fills much of the case making it almost impossible to double charge.

I shoot it out of an original '73, very mild load.
    That is a very good load for the 92s and 73s. Desperado Bullets also has an excellent original style .401 180 gr bullet of a nice, soft 20:1 alloy.

Boolit Mold
    All right ! Thank you, that will get me started loading this afternoon....

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Blacksheep, my 1908 Colt is a Bisley with a 4 3/4 barrel. The 700X load I use for cowboy action is 5.0 grains. and its the starting load, the max. from Lyman's 49th is 5.7 and its for lyman's 401043 which cast's pretty close to 175 grains with WW alloy. The max load of 8.7 grains Unique shoots really close to the sights as it gives 975 FPS out of a 7 1/2 barrel and should easily give 900 out of the shorter barrel and be very close to the blackpowder velocity. I don't believe I am sizing my bullets and they still chamber.

Hi this is a old post and I read it but it is about rifle and I like to ask about reload for a handgun of Colt 1st Gen Single Action Army 38-40 (38 WCF). If use smokless powder what is the best bullet and data to use for it.It is a friend of my and he is going to have a gun smith go over it for him.I know it is a BP round .But what are the different ideas to load for it safely.Use for target and hunting.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

You must have missed it, post #20 talks about 2 different loads for a 1st gen Colt SAA.

Ok thank you I did.

Boolit Master
    Shoot black powder its the best choice way more fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Hi this is a old post and I read it but it is about rifle and I like to ask about reload for a handgun of Colt 1st Gen Single Action Army 38-40 (38 WCF). If use smokless powder what is the best bullet and data to use for it.It is a friend of my and he is going to have a gun smith go over it for him.I know it is a BP round .But what are the different ideas to load for it safely.Use for target and hunting.
    Is your Colt proofed for smokeless? If not proofed, it may be best to not shoot smokeless in it.
    What year was it manufactured?

I was told it was made in 1905 from the check from the gunsmith.It is not my it is a friends that I am trying to help with it.It is the first ones made from what I understand.From the serial number the gun smith was going by for the check on the year.He said there was many that had the same number and he was going by that for year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12