Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm and 308 bullets from scrap 223rem brass!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    What was the cost BT??
    These where a set of dies I aquired in nearly new condition. Very little use. I replaced all the internial componts, polished them up, made a lot of extras and got it to the customer for less then what I charge for the new set of CH dies. Customer was aware of the condition of the dies and he will no doubt get a lot of use out of these dies. They are better then new from CH now.

It was the only set of 9mm dies I have or have ever had. If everyone is interested I could look into making a custom set of BTSniper 9mm dies or someday if/when Ch ever makes more I'll be happy to offer a improved set for sale at my current prices.

If you guys are interested let me know.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

In Remembrance

124 grain XTP style 9mm's would be what I would look for. I'm not a fan of light (105 grain or 115 grain) 9mm bullets. In fact, the 105's would be so light that they are really more for the .380 auto.

While I am prepping to give my M109 (US) Beretta to my son, I do load 357 Sigs for my carry gun, and use the 124 grain XTP's or 125 grain Speer Gold Dot's for that. I shoot 3-4,000 of those every six months or so. Would be a big money saver for me.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thumbs up

This is the reason that I only buy dies from BT. Well worth the wait.
    Also, when he starts selling his own presses, I'll be in line for that too.
    Looking forward to trying them all out.

Vendor Sponsor

They will be there tomorrow. I need to write up some simple instructions. I'm working on all the rest of yoru dies right now. My girls are in school and my progress has improved dramaticaly.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

As far as the 115-125 grain range of 9mm bullets.... NO PROBLEM!

I made some using both sized down 9mm brass and 223 brass. I made some perfect 118 grain 9mm bullets. I'll have to post a pic. I think I had to use less then the 93 grains of the Lee .311 mold but anything is possible. I know I use the same 93 grain cast boolit cores with sized down and cut 9mm brass to make 145 grain .358 JHP bullets. Doing the math it looks like one would need a 70 grain core with sized 9mm or 223 brass to make 125 grain 9mm bullets.

The sollution I found was out of simplisity and using available commercial core molds for teh 105 grain bullets. It was just one of many options. Matter of fact!!!!!! it would be simple to drill a few holes in the bottom of a 6 cavity mold and make your own cores for the 125 grian bullets from sized down brass, then you would have a heck of a 9mm bullet for sure!

Anything is possible.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

Oh yes..... a BTSniper press! That may just be in the cards but more likly a simple upgrade kit for the Lee Classic Cast would probably come first. So far with improved linkages that give the lee more leverage I have found it capible of all my swage needs.

Now in the back of my mind I am still coming up with plans for a simple pnumatic press that will simplify deriming and sizing operations. Someday soon!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Bub
    I would be very interested in a combo .308 and 9mm set, with all the trimmings you put in this set. With your new dies or the modded CH set and your price for it. or if none exists new give me the info I need to find the used ones I need to get my hands on.

I have been reading this forum and followed almost every link in the swaging group and must commend you all on all the hard work and knowledge freely given to help others it is refreshing to see.

Also a question is it possible to add a Boat tale to the .308's or is the .223 brass to thick around the base to make it feasible?

as far as the 9mm 124Gr Xtp is what I would be after as well and probably 180Gr Spitzer on the .308

My head just exploded from this thread. I Google'd "223 case swage .308" to see if it could be done and sure enough, BT has already done it.

Brian, I'm really really interested in this.

Boolit Mold
    Would it be possible to put a boat tail on the 308s ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neilsuper View Post
    Would it be possible to put a boat tail on the 308s ?
    A boat tail CAN be put onto a .308 bullet formed from a case. Although I am still a work in progress swaging .308 bullets from 9mm brass cases; I am putting boat tails (Rebated Boat Tails) such as in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ets&highlight=

BTSniper (Brian Thune) can probably wade in with practical experience using cut down .223 cases. I've not gone into that area yet. You might drop him a PM (Personal Message) as BT Sniper is a Vendor Sponsor on the site.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Any plans on a 0.366 set???
    My 9.3 x 57 is longing for 220 and 240 grain bullets.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Very interesting! What would a set for 9mm and 308 swaging run? Would they work on a Rockchucker Press?

In Remembrance

Brian will have to reply with pricing. However, I can attest to the fact that his tool sets work perfectly well with a RockChucker press.
    Couple of suggestions about the press:
    1) Don't bolt the RockChucker to the normal bench overhang, which is the way the press is designed. The stress will RIP the bench overhang right off. I have made some custom weldments for attaching the swaging RockChuckers. An even better solution is to use the bench plates from Inline Fabrications. They are planty strong enough for this task.
    2) The OLD STYLE Rockchucker press is far superior for this swaging than the new style. Get one of the older ones.
    3) The weak link, literally, is the pivot pin that connects the press linkage to the bottom of the ram. Replace that with the unthreaded portion of a 3/8 GRADE 8 bolt. A 6" bolt will have enough unthreaded area to provide you with a strong pivot pin, once you cut it to length.
    4) You'll need a longer handle to make the swaging easier. The normal handle for the RockChucker is 1 foot long. I added a 1 foot aluminum rod (about 2" in diameter), with a drilled hole (drilled and tapped to accept the threads of the handle, where the ball normall threads on), so that the resultant length when I am swaging is 2 feet. It's plenty of leverage.
    5) The job is also easier if you specify threaded bottom tools. Brian can provide bottom punches with 1/2" threads. You'll need to buy a threaded top ram to replace the T-Slot ram that comes with the press. You can get that threaded ram from Brian.

Once you have made those changes to your press, it will swage bullets like crazy!!

Welcome to the world of swaged bullets, using brass cases as the donor jackets for bullets.

My 9mm swaging set makes 380 auto and 9mm bullets that are just like the Hornady equivalents. Those use the cut ends of a 223 Rem case as the donor jacket.

My 308" bullet swaging set uses 5.7 X 28 FN brass as the donor jackets. My set up doesn't allow me to use one die set to do both. I suppose I could if I got a couple of extra draw reduction dies (to make the bottom end of the 223 Rem sized right for the .308 final dimension. Be sure you understand the abilities of each die set you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Very interesting! What would a set for 9mm and 308 swaging run? Would they work on a Rockchucker Press?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    DukeInFlorida - TY! Sigh, another project LOL

My poor budget is now curled up, crying, in the corner... It's entitled, this's gonna hurt it!

Boolit Man
    Hi BT. I am very interested in the 308 and 9mm set. What are the prices for this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    hlvabeach-you can find BT in the Vender/Sponsor area at the bottom of the main page for Castboolits. His price list is there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12