Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Budgeting for Molds

Boolit Master

Budgeting for Molds

I have seen some posts lately about people having concerns budgeting for molds. With so many interesting molds being made into group buys, many of us are signed up for several group buys simultaneously, and some are afraid that when the call comes, it might put a crunch on the budget.

Since most lead times are fairly long, my simple answer is to start saving the money as soon as I sign up. A few dollars a week or per paycheck will see most, if not all, of the money in hand when the call comes out.

It is a valid point that by knowing roughly when the calls will come might allow one to see whether he can afford to sign up for one or two additional molds. My answer is to err on the side of caution and not sign up. Rather, save up an additional few bucks, and if you have accumulated the money while the buy is still open, then jump on board. If not, keep saving, because both Mihec and NOE usually run some extras, and one can be picked up that way.

My apologies to those who have lived their entire lives saving up for everything they purchase. You might think this thread is already common knowledge All I can say is that it isn't nearly as common as it used to be. I was told by a younger coworker that the IRS "cheats" people by making them wait for their refund, when for a percentage of it he can go to a place that will give it to him that same day.

You could put aside all that money you saved casting & reloading your own...

Hey whatta ya mean... you saved 2/3rd and shot 3 times more than you could have otherwise?...

Mmm... time to accept you have a problem... I'm "Insert Name Here" and I'am a shooter.... We hear you brother... welcome aboard...
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have seen some posts lately about people having concerns budgeting for molds.
    Bowfin, you won't see such a post from me. I was recently gifted 117 molds from nearly all the commercial vendors including Ideal & Rapine that are now out of business! Many in the calibers that I shoot

My budget now is - for the rifles that I don't have ... for the mold calibers that I now have
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    bowfin,

I hate to say it, but your young coworker's attitude is a big part of the problem in this country today. Tell him to claim two from now on, that works out just about right.

As far as budgeting for molds, consider opening a savings account and putting $200 or a bit more each paydayaway. I went to Africa that way. Three times, since 12-2008.

Rich

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't spend beyond your means. Don't buy moulds you can't afford.

My take on it is that if you have to budget for moulds then you may not be able to afford them.

Shooting is a luxury, take care of actual needs first.

Boolit Master
    A sample budget, like mine runs like this:

a stripped AR receiver each month. $110 for the LAR.
    an NOE boolit mold each month. $120 for standard, $140 for an RG-4.
    200lbs of 3% antimony and pure lead mix. $185.

stop getting the $8 Starbucks coffe and $3 pastry every day before/during work.
    in lieu of those $4 a bag chips, go to fresh vegetables for snacks.

I got my favorite shooting buddy nephew to try this for 90 days in March. The first week or June he paid cash for an LCP 380. Since then, he has purchased an LAR lower, the trigger group parts kit, and one of their OPS-4 upper. Married, no kids, buying a house and a late model Hemi Dodge pickup.

It is all about priorities my man...

Rich
    Sua Sponte

btroj,

I have to budget for everything. It's the only way I can hunt RSA every two years, and afford the taxidermy and freight costs back here.

Boolit Master
    Here is some more input.

It is good advice to budget for a bullet mold.

Millionaires budget for these types of things. It is not stupid. What is stupid is spending money nilly willy even on trinkets.

The key to wealth is not how much money you make, but how you budget that money. I have known folks that have menial jobs that became self made millionaires. It did not happen over night. They had goals, each dollar they had was a tool, each dollar had a name, and each dollar was spoken for even before it was in hand.

People really don't 'need' ten, twenty, thirty, forty and more guns. It is a waste of money. People don't really need all the bullet molds. A single gun, and a single mold will provide a great deal of data and experimenting for even the avid shooter to be able to coherently digest.

They will make more guns, and more molds. The money that you make is finite. The stuff to be bought with that money is infinite. Just have the guts to know when to say when.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    Suo Gan, you have NAILED it!

Looking back now, I wish I would have spent less money on stuff and more money on doing things with it. I would rather have one rifle in my hands on a Rocky Mountain elk hunt rather than a dozen in a rack down in the basement.

Now, some have the means to do both, and I'm thinking most of us could be as well if we would pass up the little things and save for the big things.

Boolit Master
    Suo Gan,

go wash your keyboard off with soap! Your thinking is more in line with the government these days, than with the Constitution.

Need has little to do with it, unless you are at the absolute bottom of the triangle in Mazlow's (sp?) Hierarchy.

Boolit Master
    Your thinking is more in line with the government these days, than with the Constitution
    How so? I am in the process of selling some of my guns off because they are starting to own me, rather than me owning them. I have had some for fifteen years I have yet to shoot. Yet, I have to insure them, make sure they are kept safe and rust free, and if I ever did get around to shooting them, I would have to cast, reload, sight in, etc.

I would rather have the money and time to actually go do stuff with a few guns rather than have someone look at all of it when I die and ask "Did he actually ever use all of these?"

Oh, and there is always that saying, "Beware the man who shoots just one gun." Some of that is true. One sight picture, one trigger pull, a single stock or set of grips that don't change allows one to build up some muscle memory and familiarity. I've done the "Let's shoot the Glock and then the Smith and both Rugers" thing in one shooting session, and it's a good way to burn powder, but not wring the most out of a gun.

Nothing political about it. More of "Be happy with what you have, rather than try to have what you think will make you happy."

Banned
    I'm new to casting. I sat down I figured what I have spent in Jwords and brass in the last year. It was devastating to see those numbers. I wish my wife didn't keep the receipts. I ran some more numbers and compared to the cost of molds and supplies. Yes, I can cast cheaper. Can I order new molds right now? No ! can I budget for them and get them in two or three weeks? Yes. My pay is pretty much gone before I get it. I do not and will not take money from my household and bills to feed my reloading addiction. I do side work as a mechanic to get my fun money. So yes. I must budget and think before I just jump in and say yes I will buy.

Boolit Master
    I have collected molds for the past couple of year in order to have at least two that work well in my guns,,,well, then it went to 3-4. But now I am done, I think.
    I use the spare change approach: whatever is in my pocket goes into the fund, builds fast.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Grand Master
    Where in the constitution does it say we should spend beyond our means or forgot necessities for luxuries?

I don't budget for moulds, I buy them when money is available.

To each their own

Boolit Buddy
    Stay within your means. Switch to the cash bases, when you run out of cash your done spending. Budget for items weekly/monthly for (house/rent, taxes, food, insurance, gs, car, etc), put away money in savings if possible. Molds are nice but not a required.

Boolit Master

It's nice to say you will buy a mould only if you have the money handy but some of the moulds offered here are not available all the time, with some of them being offered only once. How many times do you think Mihec is going to do the Webley hollow base mould?

Boolit Master
    You just have to decide what is important to you. I have rifles for hunting here, varmints, small edible game, big game, Alaska, those bi-annual trips to Africa.

Then we get into Cowboy Action Shooting and Quickdraw, and target shooting.

I am a bit different, I retired 4 years ago, and about all I do is ride around on the Fat Boy, take trips alone or with Mamma in the Jag, smoke good hand rolled cigars, and shoot.

Okay, smelt lead alloys down, blend to suit the firearm usage, size/lube/GC, and develop loads for handguns, and rifles; and then go shooting. I have a place I can shoot 970yds 365 a year.

So, having a very nice retirement income, and The Boss still working, I am a semi-professional goof-off.

I also, very much appreciate those of you who are gainfully employed. Keep that Social Security money going in and out.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

the groups buys get out of hand and make people think they "need' a certain design.Beside a few special cases most in stock molds for the major manufacturers will work for 99% of what we do.The muti-cavity option is the real hard part to resist i must say though.And if it for a dedicated match or target gun a custom mold to your throat specifications in order anyhow.

George

Boolit Master
    If I could get somebody like Mr Honcho Blammer to make me 150 boolits with less than .2gr weight tolerance, and less than .003" difference in length, in advance of each group buy, I could cut down. It would only take me about 60 to tell if they were going to work in any of my rifles.

However, having been denied in what I felt was a very neighborly request, I am forced to buy to try.