Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 43 Reformado brass?

Boolit Mold

43 Reformado brass?

Anyone know any good sources at to where i can get some already made 43 reformado brass i found a source earlier in the year but forgot to bookmark it which im still kicking myself for but i remember it had minutemen in the title and they were the only people who offered the Reformado brass and not just the regular spanish. I ask cause i aquired recently for free from a pawn shop ( cause i did some work for the guy) a Oviedo made Rolling Block. The story behind it is it was someones grandfather's bringback from the Spanish american war. I was also lucky enough to get a colt 1896 new army in the same lot as well. But yeah If anyone has a source for 43 reformado brass please share.

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Arms is usually the place I start with when looking for hard to find brass, dies, etc. http://www.buffaloarms.com/11.5x57r_...TERM=reformado

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    Buffalo Arms is usually the place I start with when looking for hard to find brass, dies, etc. http://www.buffaloarms.com/11.5x57r_...TERM=reformado
    thanks I appreciate it. Been wanting to fire this thing for 4 years now. When i got it the outside of the gun was clean as a whistle save 2 rust spots on the barrel and it still had the orignal tinning on the receiver and all the wood was good on it. The inside of the barrel had surface rust but no pitting at all. I spent the better part of a day off cleaning the inside of it and now it looks good. I come across alot of teh 43 reformado ones for under 200 dollars from time to time just cause most of the gunshops dont carry the ammo for them I was lucky enough to get this one for free

Boolit Master
    PICTURES! or it didn't happen!
    Frank G.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    PICTURES! or it didn't happen!
    what that i got the gun for free alright gimme a few and i'll post links of some pictures of it. http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n.../HPIM01031.jpg http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n.../HPIM01021.jpg

Boolit Master

43 reformado brass

i do just what the spanish did theye shot 43 spanish rounds in with no problem then reloaded them as reformado, after shooting the 43,s in them i hand load, 27grs of 4198 with rice crispies, and a 45cal .454 dia lead boolit pushing it in with thumb pressure n shoot, toot.

Boolit Master

PICTURES, HELPING LORDBRAWLTIMORE OUT

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

I have also have an Oviedo rolling block, although mine has been rebarreled to 45-70. In case you don't know I just wanted to tell you that unlike most other rolling blocks the parts on them do not interchange with Remington made rollers. The breach block, hammer, and trigger guard are wider than 'standard'. Good luck with your rolling block!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    Yep as toot said, fire form 43 Spanish brass. Then it would be a good idea to slug the bore and take a chamber casting to see what the throat looks like. After fire forming with a full load of BP the case will give a good idea of what the chamber looks like but for best results the chamber casting of the throat area is needed. Then it's a simple matter of finding the right bullet and or mold. The original Reformado ammo used about a 390-395 gr bullet of about .454 base diameter and was one of the first jacketed bullets. How that translates into the best cast bullet for your rifle- dunno?
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master at heavens range
    1968- from the Old Hunter, $10.00 per 1000 loaded, + shipping, Loaded with brass bullet, They were advertize as 43 Spanish. Got them but then didnt fit my RB. Sold them at gun show, ever cart. dealer around here after that had them for sale. Joe

Boolit Master
    Just for comparison. Original cartridges. Two on left are 43 Spanish, one on right is Reformado.

Boolit Bub
    It's wise to still do a chamber cast; only because your bore may not be the "standard" .454! I have a number of reformados in rifle and carbine length and only a few have .454 bores! Several have .446 bores indicating that while the chambers have been recut for the Reformado cartridge, the bores definetly were not. Man...8 thousandths over bore size is a little too much...

Regards,
    Timbo

Boolit Master
    It appears that the standard Reformado bullet, as pictured in the original cartridge, has a .454 +/- base . However all original Reformado Jbullets I've measured have a shank diameter of about .430 +/-. That likely accounts for the continuous taper from base to mouth (including the neck) of the original Reformado cartridge. Its easy to see in the cartridge picture in the previous post.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John