Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: how to slug a barrel?

how to slug a barrel?

I have a home-built AK that has not worked properly since day one. One problem is that it doesn't seem to want to eject properly (but that's a different story).

The question I have here is--how do I slug a chamber and bore, and what can I hope to learn from it? The problem is, at 20 paces it's throwing lead all over the place and 8 out of 10 of the holes on cardboard showed they were hitting sideways. It seems like they are literally coming out of the barrel tumbling?!

I checked the muzzle device by installing a wooden dowel in the barrel, and the brake looks perfectly centered. So it's not a clearance problem. The crown looks ok too.

Other info that might be useful--the barrel is a US made, non-chrome lined 7.62x39 from a well known AK parts/accessory dealer. The machining looks fine and I had a smith double check the head space.

Thanks for any advice--I know AK's aren't tack drivers--but this thing is throwing 2' groups at 20 yards.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master

First, lube the barrel and slug. Tap the slug into the barrel with a wooden or plastic mallet. push the slug thru the bore with a metal rod wrapped with electrical tape to prevent damage to rifling, DON'T use a wood dowel. measure the groove on the slug from one side to other. Do not measure the land, measure the groove. Reasons for slugging: To determine how much wear the barrel has and also, because just because they are suppose to be a specific caliber it doesn't mean they actually shoot the size they should.
    Last edited by 500MAG; 09-02-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the info--I'm wondering, how do you actually "slug" the barrel? I know it involves pouring lead into the barrel and knocking it out after it cools, but what do you use to plug the barrel? Does it matter where over the length you pour the slug?

It shouldn't be an issue with wear as the barrel is of new manufacture. I'm just hoping it's not a few thousandths oversized because I'm not sure what I could do with that!
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Man
    find an egg sinker that is just a little bigger than the bore. lube the barrel and basically pound the sinker down the barrel. as suggested use a steel rod SMALLER than the bore wrapped in elect. tape to protect the rifling. then meausure it. no need to pour lead in the barrel.
    "when the going gets tough... eat more fiber!!!"

"duckndawg"

Boolit Master
    Why would you not use a wood dowel to drive the slug through the bore?

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master
    It will split on the bias and jam in the bore.

Boolit Master
    D--n good reason to use a wrapped steel rod.

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life