WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: I think I scored

Boolit Master

I think I scored

A friend came up to visit this weekend and brought a nice Marlin 336 in 35 Rem Cal with him. K Prefix which dates to 1953 as far as my research has shown.. Action was locked up tight as the previous owner had tried Hornady Lever Revolution ammo in it.

I got it fixed in like five minutes, blunt bullets it feeds fine but it's got the original flat magazine follower in it.

Cost to me? $200!!!

Housing is all but gone leaving a nice brownish patina all over. So whatcha' think? Did I do good?

Oops....now I've got to go shopping for a .35 Cal mold......GRIN

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

That look's like my 45-70!

In Remembrance
    I'ld say you did real well, you must have had lady luck on your side that day, wish she would come and visit me.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master

Locked up with Hornady factory ammo!!!!???? What's going on with that? This should
    not happen. Have you identified the problem? A gun that "locks up" with factory ammo
    should be examined closely to understand what is going on, there may be something
    unsafe in the condition of the rifle.

OTOH, I once got a great deal on a Savage 110 which was 'Locking up' - at a gun show.
    The bolt was impossible to close on an empty chamber when I looked over the gun.
    The owner was surprised and said, "Well, it is just the scope screws being too long"
    I said "Show me" - and he removed the scope mount screws (no scope or rings) and it
    didn't change a thing. I offered him $100 less than his asking price and he accepted.
    When I got home, I shortened the front action screw about .020" and everything was
    fine.

You need to identify the problem, I would think, before you fire that gun.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Oops....now I've got to go shopping for a .35 Cal mold......GRIN
    Any .38 or .357 bullet will work till you get a 'rifle bullet' mold...

I am shooting .358" Penn TCBB 158gr in my 336RC, and it loves them over low doses of Red Dot...

Boolit Master

C'mon Bill I HAVE identified the issue, you know I'm no rookie. Action was locked up wide open lever because the Lever revolution round was stuck in it. It's been doco'd all over and confirmed with marlin this ammo can cause this in older guns with a flat made for blunt bullets mag follower. Some have reported marlin needed to replace the carrier/lifter to make the pointy tip ammo work in a lever gun. The pointed tips are too long to feed sometimes without the proper magazine follower for those new pointy rounds and jam things up tight. Do a Google search and you'll find hundreds of complaints of the same kind.

Easy solution for me is to shoot blunt cast bullets with it. I had some standard Remington core lokt ammo I tried after I got the lever evolution bullet out and the action freed up and they feed and eject as they should. Action internals are pristine as is the rifling....Still need to get out and shoot the puppy!

Art

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Locked up with Hornady factory ammo!!!!???? What's going on with that? This should
    not happen. Have you identified the problem? A gun that "locks up" with factory ammo
    should be examined closely to understand what is going on, there may be something
    unsafe in the condition of the rifle.

OTOH, I once got a great deal on a Savage 110 which was 'Locking up' - at a gun show.
    The bolt was impossible to close on an empty chamber when I looked over the gun.
    The owner was surprised and said, "Well, it is just the scope screws being too long"
    I said "Show me" - and he removed the scope mount screws (no scope or rings) and it
    didn't change a thing. I offered him $100 less than his asking price and he accepted.
    When I got home, I shortened the front action screw about .020" and everything was
    fine.

You need to identify the problem, I would think, before you fire that gun.

Bill
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Have one for sale locally that the owner says locks up with the leverevolution ammo as well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

"Locked up" seemed to indicate some sort of severe overpressure (action won't open and
    is locked). Now that I hear that you are talking about jamming in the feeding cycle, that
    is not even remotely the same thing.

Clearly, 'locking up' means something entirely different to me than was intended.

I was surprised at the relatively casual mention of "locking up" with factory ammo, . . .

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

how are you going to sleep tonight lol ??

Boolit Buddy
    If you are looking for a good bullet to run through that .35 Rem, check out the Ranchdog TLC359-190-RF. Great boolit. You might also like the old standby RCBS 35-200 if your penchant is for traditional lube grooves. Both work and shoot great in my 1970s marlin 336.
    _coder

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” - William Pitt

Sounds like half price to me you lucky (expletive omitted).
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman