Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FedEx Broken Model 88 Winchester

Boolit Buddy

FedEx Broken Model 88 Winchester

Gentlemen,

While only one of these rifles is a lever gun, read on and you'll see why I started this thread in the "Lever Guns" sub-site.

Here are three new rifles I have added to my collection.

The top one is a Remington Model 660; the next a Remington Model 600, and the bottom one a Winchester Model 88. As I wrote in the title, they are all chambered in .308 Winchester.

Here's a close-up of the Model 88 as it came out of the shipping container shipped via FedEX.

Made me sick to my stomach. I purchased this from Cabelas, and it WAS in pristine condition. Metal is essentially like new-in-the-box. The stock WAS almost perfect. I got it for a song, and the sons of bachelors at FedEx broke it in half. It is my heartfelt belief that FedEx breaks/destroys firearms ON PURPOSE. Let me repeat that for emphasis. I BELIEVE THAT FEDEX INTENTIONALLY BREAKS/DESTROYS FIREARMS. The reason I have this belief is: personal experience, first-hand knowledge of friends and acquaintances, and a mountain of reports on "gun" web-sites reporting broken/destroyed firearms shipped by FedEx.

I contacted Cabelas first by phone then followed up with this email:

Dear Mr. Morse,

Per our telephone conversation earlier today, I am enclosing pictures of the rifle broken in shipping. (I am of course assuming you didn’t send me a broken rifle.) I have included:
    1) Two pictures of the rifle,
    2) The mailing label,
    3) The invoice/receipt from Cabelas, and
    4) The shipping box.

I opened the box personally at the place of business of the FFL I was using for the transfer. The rifle was well-packed and the box at first glance didn’t appear to be damaged. As soon as I attempted to remove the rifle from the shipping container I knew something was wrong as it was clearly in at least two pieces and I was fairly certain that Cabela’s had not removed the butt-stock before shipping. Upon careful removal of the wrapping I saw that the stock was broken in two. Even though this break is essentially in the wrist, this particular break required some SERIOUS ‘effort’ to accomplish.

I was heart-broken when I saw this. This is a beautiful rifle in excellent condition. I purchased it to include in my collection. It’s collectable value is now ‘salvage’ at best, but I am more grieved by the destruction of such an excellent example of a Model 88 than I am about my personal loss. This is truly a shame.

Based on personal experience, the experience of others I know personally and the reports of reliable sources on the internet, this breakage is “normal” for FedEx. In fact, it is my personal belief based on the frequency of occurrence with FedEx and the rarity of occurrence with other shippers, (NEVER in shipping firearms around the country for the last 15 years), that FedEx intentionally breaks/destroys firearms. It may be something that occurs whenever they x-ray boxes for “overseas” shipments to Alaska or anywhere else where FedEx is called on to x-ray the contents of a package and they find out it is a firearm. I realize this may sound “paranoid”, but I assure you that I am not “that sort” of person.

In addition to the propensity to break/destroy firearms, FedEx is extremely recalcitrant when it comes to “owning up” to the responsibility. This is inconsistent with their normal willingness to acknowledge responsibility for any other form of loss due to their action. In fact, they are very quick to rectify damage caused by them when it comes to anything OTHER THAN firearms. This is another reason I believe they break/destroy them intentionally.

As I said on the phone, I would prefer not to return this firearm to you and receive a refund. If that is necessary to get FedEx to fulfill their obligations in this matter, then so be it. However, a solution I would be perfectly happy with is replacement of the stock with one of comparable condition before this one was broken. If Cabelas can find such a stock, and I’m not in any particular hurry, I would much prefer that resolution.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter and please don’t hesitate to call at the numbers below – the cell is best – if you have any questions or want to discuss this further.

Sincerely,
    Paul Skvorc

On the phone, Mr. Morse agreed to my suggested solution of finding a replacement stock. That said, I doubt that will be very easy. I would like to enlist the help of the folks here at Cast Boolits, (and other sites as well), in finding a pre-'64 stock for this rifle (this rifle was - according to the serial number - made in 1961). Morse said he would check in Cabelas "inventory", but I have little hope for success there. However, if "I" find one, I may be able to get Cabelas to reimburse the cost if I purchase it.

Thanks,
    Paul

PS - I was wrong about the date of manufacture. It was 1956 or '57, (23,XXX) not 1961.

Paul
    Last edited by gitano; 08-31-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    What a shame. I hope it works out to your satisfaction!
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

I feel your pain.............................

A good example of why I've ALWAYS used USPS for the last 40 or so years, to ship my firearms.

I've NEVER experienced any kind of damage, buying or selling w/USPS - but had a flintlock damaged because the seller used UPS instead of USPS.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Wouldn't it be nice to do some personal instruction on how the jawbone of an (donkey) was used upon the wicked, using the broken stock for up close and personal illustration,,,,,,

Fedex and I shall discontinue our acquaintance.
    Last edited by Hamish; 08-31-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I worked for Fedex for 25 yrs and highly doubt someone took the time to unpack your rifle, break it in half and repack the box. Had the box been damaged it may have been caught in the sort machinery etc , willful damage, I'm not buying it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Well, here is one from the other side of the tracks. I HATE UPS- they broke my .30 WCF High Wall in half. The butt is $480 through Browning with no way to match. When they auto sort it goes across a rubber road and doors flip after bar code scan sorting for direction. I was told if big long box gets hung on door and here comes more, well, you get the picture. I have been after that always paying for case shipping in or put lumber down both edges of gun box. I fought with UPS for 5 months., they do their best to wear you down, but this old dog had blood in his mouth. They finally got off their purse. I feel your pain! Gtek

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    I feel your pain.............................

A good example of why I've ALWAYS used USPS for the last 40 or so years, to ship my firearms.

I've NEVER experienced any kind of damage, buying or selling w/USPS - but had a flintlock damaged because the seller used UPS instead of USPS.

AMEN!

I tried to get Cabelas to use the USPS but when they said they'd only charge me $25 regardless of how they sent it, I said, "Send it any way you want in that case." I'm sorry - BIG TIME - I didn't insist on USPS and paying the $42 + Ins. myself.

It really looks like I will have to replace the stock with an aftermarket reproduction. I REALLY don't want to do that, but stocks for these old rifles are few and far between, AND I've been told that those that have them want as much as a whole rifle for them because they know they have 'collectors' over a barrel. Before I'd do that, I'd buy a whole new rifle, cannibalize it for the stock, repair this stock and sell it as "Broken - Repaired".

I SERIOUSLY doubt "satisfaction" will be the outcome with regard to FedEx's response. I'm hoping Cabelas handles it well. They've been pretty square in my dealings with them so far.

Paul

Pietro: I tried to ship a rifle by USPS to the manufacturer for repair. Both of our local post offices would not accept them saying that it was illegal. One of those who would not accept it was the local Postmistress. I sent an Email to the Postmaster General of the U.S. and within 24 hours I received an Email from the local Postmistress containing an apology and saying yes it is legal. I"ve shipped two long guns to a manufacturer by FEDEX and had no problems in either direction.

That is a shame those pre 64's are hard to come by. I didn't know they made repro. stocks for those guns. good luck which ever way you go with this. You've got a fight on your hands dealing with Fed EX
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Nice lookers for your collection! That 88 is certainly an excellent example of the era. Even if ya get a "repro" stock I'd keep the original and get it fixed. There are some guys who do excellent jobs at stock repair/rehap/recon. Sorry for the breakage but glad for the story and insight. Best, 10 ga

x
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    Winchester 88 stocks are pretty fragile to start with.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    What a heartbreak.
    UPS busted my 11-48 Remington so I know exactly how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MSgtUSMC View Post
    Pietro: I tried to ship a rifle by USPS to the manufacturer for repair. Both of our local post offices would not accept them saying that it was illegal. One of those who would not accept it was the local Postmistress. I sent an Email to the Postmaster General of the U.S. and within 24 hours I received an Email from the local Postmistress containing an apology and saying yes it is legal. I"ve shipped two long guns to a manufacturer by FEDEX and had no problems in either direction.
    Is it just me or does the word "postmistress" sound hot?

Anyway, don't give up. A couple years ago I bought a 7.35 Carcano that had appearantly been stored in a gunsock or closet with clothes in contact with it because the exposed metal was horrible. It did not effect the finish of the wood though and it looked pristine. Maybe you'll come across a similar condition 88.

I think I would take the refund from Cabalas and buy this one on GunsAmerica.

WINCHESTER PRE 64 MODEL 88 308 CAL. APPEARS UNFIRED MFG.1956 SER.348XX NO WEAR ON METAL OR WOOD. NICE SHARP CHECKERING. NO DISCOLORING ON METAL OF ANYKIND. MINT BORE. 100% ORIGINAL

Item number: 905260614
    Last edited by Tatume; 09-01-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    man i hate to hear that, those are nice rifles. i like rifles to be shipped in hard cases, it cost more, but you don't have that. nobody broke it on purpose, things just happen.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Winchester 88 stocks are pretty fragile to start with.
    You are the first to express that opinion, and as I look at this one, I do not think I share it.

Regardless of the fragility of the 88 stock in general, THIS break took some SERIOUS force to effect.

"Hard cases" are indeed 'the way to go'. I would add that the USPS is also the 'way to go'. The USPS is certainly not the perfect shipper. As a general rule, they have complete idiots working in the metropolitan ***. However, two 'things' are true of the USPS - They don't "lose" guns, and they don't break guns. Not losing and not breaking trump EVERYTHING else for me.

Paul

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post
    You are the first to express that opinion, and as I look at this one, I do not think I share it.

Regardless of the fragility of the 88 stock in general, THIS break took some SERIOUS force to effect.

"Hard cases" are indeed 'the way to go'. I would add that the USPS is also the 'way to go'. The USPS is certainly not the perfect shipper. As a general rule, they have complete idiots working in the metropolitan ***. However, two 'things' are true of the USPS - They don't "lose" guns, and they don't break guns. Not losing and not breaking trump EVERYTHING else for me.

Paul
    USPS doesnt Break guns ???
    Then Explain to me how My Pre-64 model 70 .300 H&H got hammered.
    Because they bent/BROKE the rear of the RECEIVER, bent the screws, and the box looked like it fell from 10,000 ft and the action was hanging out the end of the box when I got it. The box was marked "Light bulbs".
    I collected 500.00 in damages ( after 3 months of hassles) on a gun worth 5 times that.
    They said it "MAY have gotten caught in a conveyor".
    The gun was wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap,the stock was off and in a padded case and padded ends of the box with wads and 6 layers of cardboard...all was busted through.
    They wanted me to turn the gun over to the postmaster in order to collect the Insurance claim, My lawyer set them straight real fast.
    Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    I play around doing gunstock finishing and repairing as a hobby and just finished up fixing a M-88 stock that UPS managed to break into 8 pieces. Got it all glued/epoxied together and with a little touch up of the finish, it doesn't look too bad. About the only thing good about these kind of breaks is they are new and the fresh, clean wood glues really well. The guy hasn't picked it up yet, so here are a couple pictures

Boolit Grand Master

If you are VERY CAREFUL and don't do anything to further damage the broken area, it can
    be fixed pretty well, in all probability. As the previous poster said, a good stock repairman
    with a FRESH break can do wonders.

If you really want the rifle, have them pay you some amount for damages and get someone
    that really knows what they are doing to fix it. Won't ever be perfect, but with many
    repairs, they are invisible unless you point it out.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Marlin, Savage and several other manufacturers at an earlier time, stamped the serial numbers on the wood, matching the numbers on the firearm; therefore, replacing wood is not a viable option.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast