Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 460 Rowland Kit is driving me nuts

460 Rowland Kit is driving me nuts

My wife bought me a 450 Rowland conversion for my birthday. I was really looking forward to it. Now I'm thinking about sending it right back to Brownells.

I stripped the 1911 and installed the new barrel. Followed the instructions and got to putting in the heavy spring.

I could not get it to completely compress to save my life. It kept wanting to bow out no matter how I held the slide.
    Now I can field strip a 1911 and put it back together with my eyes closed...but this just defied any effort.

I tried the second (lighter spring in the kit) took me about 20 seconds to install it.

When I compared the two springs, the heavier one, in addition to having heavier wire, was also 4 coils longer than the lighter one (which is the same length as stock).

I called Clarks to see if I had gotten the wrong spring and they said No, the heavier one was longer and was more difficult to get in.

Then the Smith (Paul I think) told me how he installed it and it was almost word for word what the instructions stated. (My first thought and it hasn't changed is Bulls^&t).

Anyway...after 4 hours of trying every way I can think of, the guide rod (Buffer end) slipped out and disappeared into the portal to hell I have in my shop.

I just ordered a new one from Clarks and if I can't get this figured out, am sending the kit back for a refund.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-30-2012 at 01:57 PM.

I found the part and installed the 20# spring. I'm calling Wolf tomorrow because the 24# has to be the wrong spring. It simply can't be installed.

I just modified a Star modelo Super and added a stronger operating spring in it. I threaded the inside of the spring guide and made a rod to screw in to it. I deleted the cute little cap at the front of the spring and made the rod the same OD as the hole in the barrel bushing and the spring guide. Now I install the spring into the pistol which is completely assembled and rotate the barrel bushing to locked position and then insert the rod and screw it into the spring guide. This keeps the spring from spronging as it is held straight by the pistol, and it provides a further spring guide to keep the spring straight while in operation. On a 1911, where the front of the spring fits into a cup that engages the barrel bushing you would only have to drill the cup to allow the rod to pass through (it would still hold the front of the spring. I don't know what your spring guide looks like or if the buffer might be modified to accept a longer front portion, but thought it might give you some ideas.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

actually no the 24# spring is the right one I had one devil of a time getting that spring in but the 24# is the right one. steve k
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    actually no the 24# spring is the right one I had one devil of a time getting that spring in but the 24# is the right one. steve k
    How did you do it? I've been at it for over 6 hours total. It takes 20 seconds or so to install the 20# but I've tried every technique known to man and that 24 pounder just won't go in.

Boolit Mold
    I have the Wilson Combat Hunter in 460 Rowland. I believe it has a 23# spring. It is a beast and I approach with caution. Once you fire your weapon though, you will know the reason behind that spring. Recoil is brisk to say the least.

OK...round 3 and I won this one.
    I talkedto the Tech at Wolff springs. He said that was the right spring and to talk to Clarks. I explained that right at the moment, Clark's and I weren't on the best terms...I watched his installation video again and that isn't the 24# spring he's putting in.....

Anyway, the fellow said "You aren't trying to install it with the slide off are you"....well duh, yeah, that's the way Clark's says to install it.

He said, "You'll be chasing springs all day"....Well yeah.

Anyway, he said I had to install it with the frame on.

I ended the call and he obviously didn't know there was a compensator on it....but an idea flashed by. I have them once in a while.

Here's the technique and it works like a charm.

With the slide on the frame and the rod extension removed, barrel bushing turned all the way to the side. stick the rod extension in the spring loose so the spring won't try to double up. It has to be loose so you can tip the spring plug down enough to clear the compensator.

Slide the Spring Plug down the rod until you can slip under the lip of the Compensator. It does that naturally anyway.

Pull the rod out.

Push the Spring plug down into the tunnel enough to allow the barrel bushing to be turned into position.

Screw the rod extension back in and tighten.

Say three Hail Mary's and it's done!

Springs can sometimes be a pain. I completely broke down my Winchester model 1910 (.401SL) and getting the operating spring back into place was a nightmare. It took me four different tries to get it. I ended up using a cleaning rod, screwdriver and pair of pliers before it finally went home. Needless to say, I invented some new curse words during the process.

it's been over 10 years since I put that beast of a spring in and I did it with the slide off! Now when you shoot that puppy don't use a limp wrist or your going to have feeding problems hold that sucker down.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    it's been over 10 years since I put that beast of a spring in and I did it with the slide off!
    You are a better man than I fishhawk!

But wait....Don't you field strip it after every session?

oh believe me there was some cussing and new word inventions! And a call to Clarke!

I tested it yesterday with Buffalo Bore 255 grain ammo (I haven't decided what Boolits to use yet).

Accuracy is great. Recoil isn't bad. About like my 44's.

The ejection pattern is erratic but energetic.

I limpwristed twice and got two stove pipes.

So far, I love it, but won't be selling off any of my revolvers.

Boolit Bub
    I too had one heck of a time with that darn spring. But now I have had mine for about 4 years and its no big deal I don't know if I got smarter or the spring loosened up a bit. I change mine to 460 at the start of hunting season around Sept. and back to 45 around Dec.

So far the best bullet that I have found in mine is the Hornady 200gr XTP, the recoil isnt to bad and it hits deer like canon. For plinking I use cast 200gr semi-wad cutters. I have tried some heavier bullets but it seems that anything I have tried over 230gr swells the case when seated to the proper depth and they wont chamber. I also found that several of the loads I found on the web are way to hot for my gun, so start low.

I bought mine when we started having Grizzly troubles and wanted something in an auto with more power than a 45, it fits that bill real easy, its a stomper.

Bob

I was lucky enough to have a second slide so I have one slide with the 45acp and one with the 460 Rowland then a 22 ace conversion for it so swapping from one to the other is simple. steve k