RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Forster Power Adapter for Case Trimmer

Forster Power Adapter for Case Trimmer

OK....so over the weeknd I processed 250 Cavim 90 or 91 308 cases by hand. Tumbled for 4 hours, bright and shiny. Lubed with Dillon case lube, resized with a SB sizer die (to be shot in a Bushmaster 308), Dillon primer pocket swaged, trimmed to 2.005" in Forster hand trimmer, deburred/chamfered with RCBS hand tool, primer pockets cleaned with the little Lyman tool. Very pretty cases and ready to load.
    TONS OF WORK!
    My neck hurts, my shoulder hurts, my right hand hurts. ENOUGH!
    I ordered a Forster Power Adapter for the Classic Case Trimmer (very neat tool by the way). So here is the question:
    Forster recommends using a power screwdriver to provide the power for trimming. Does anyone have recommendations as to the brand/size, etc. of electric screwdriver to purchase?
    I think it needs to be light and hold a charge for a while. Anyone do this before?
    Only 2000 more 308's and 2000 223's to go!

Boolit Master
    I use an old B&D cordless screwdriver. I actually prefer this style of tool due to the lower RPM of the unit (180 RPM Max). I tried more powerful units and found them over powered and harder to use. YMMV

For what you are doing you may want one with batteries that can swapped out for charging.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    OK....so over the weeknd I processed 250 Cavim 90 or 91 308 cases by hand. Tumbled for 4 hours, bright and shiny. Lubed with Dillon case lube, resized with a SB sizer die (to be shot in a Bushmaster 308), Dillon primer pocket swaged, trimmed to 2.005" in Forster hand trimmer, deburred/chamfered with RCBS hand tool, primer pockets cleaned with the little Lyman tool. Very pretty cases and ready to load.
    TONS OF WORK!
    My neck hurts, my shoulder hurts, my right hand hurts. ENOUGH!
    I ordered a Forster Power Adapter for the Classic Case Trimmer (very neat tool by the way). So here is the question:
    Forster recommends using a power screwdriver to provide the power for trimming. Does anyone have recommendations as to the brand/size, etc. of electric screwdriver to purchase?
    I think it needs to be light and hold a charge for a while. Anyone do this before?
    Only 2000 more 308's and 2000 223's to go!
    Been there, done that.... that power adapter's a great addition to case triming (I was inside neck reaming... so few cases, so many blisters...)

I just used a variable speed power drill set to a low torque setting... worked a treat...
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master

You can remove the hand crank & screw and install a acorn type nut on the threaded cutter shaft and use a socket to fit the nut with a adapter for useing a drill with a socket for next to nothing. Also low rpm 180 or less, Ive used electric screwdrivers from Milwaukee and Dewalt with satisfaction. you can also use a cordless drill but at reduced speed, you will have to minulipate pressure on trigger for correct speed which will in time cause premature failure with the trigger assy.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    You can remove the hand crank & screw and install a acorn type nut on the threaded cutter shaft and use a socket to fit the nut with a adapter for useing a drill with a socket for next to nothing. Also low rpm 180 or less, Ive used electric screwdrivers from Milwaukee and Dewalt with satisfaction. you can also use a cordless drill but at reduced speed, you will have to minulipate pressure on trigger for correct speed which will in time cause premature failure with the trigger assy.

This is about the same way I went to power trimming before I got the RCBS power trimmer set up. Look around in a Home Depot or a Lowes store or about any store with a decent tool section for small cordless drills.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I use whatever battery powered drill is closest. I prefer to use my small 12v Lithium powered Bosch drill since it's the lightest. But I've used the larger 18v ones with no problems. If you have a battery powered drill there is no need to buy another tool.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Make yourself a small angle plate and mount the trimmer vertically under a drill press spindle.

The drill press will spin the tool and it also will give you the up and down you need. This is much easier than running a hand trimmer with a motor

Also you can buy an RCBS trimmer head which does all three operations in one shot. This will save you having to handle the cases many times.

When you are talking about production work, which is exactly what you are doing, the less times you physically handle the product the better off you are.

I personally would go at this a little differently.

1. IF the cases are dirty then wash them and let them dry, if they are not dirty then, lube and size them.

2. deal with the primer pockets.

3. trim to length and deburr.

4. Then Tumble. Which removes all the lube and cleans any burrs off the cases.

If you use ss pins the primer pockets will be clean, if not who cares. No need to clean pockets everytime.

You are ready to load.

When reprocessing for the next run if you size with an RCBS X die and you will never have to trim the cases again. This will save you and your neck a bunch of wear and tear.

There are other methods of accomplishing the minimal handling objective. You will see them as they become evident as you process more of that 2000 case pile.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and nothing motivates mother faster than pain!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I just put a 'coupling nut' on the shaft and used my 1/2" VSR mounted on a wood cradle.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    bobthenailer,

What is an acorn type nut?...

Can you post a picture?...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Acorn Nut - Link to Pic

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    bobthenailer,

What is an acorn type nut?...

Can you post a picture?...

Thanks...BCB

A Link to the Picture of an Acorn Nut.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Aco...120829220109:s

For a power screwdriver, I like the Hitachi DB 3DL. It is light, has 2 speeds, 200 + 600, comes with 2 batteries and will recharge a battery in 30 minutes. Mine gets lots of use trimming, reaming, deburring, etc. Plenty of torque/power for those chores. Lifetime warranty on the driver.

Boolit Master
    Agree with Acorn nut.Used mine for years.Dont even know where the crank handle is.

Boolit Master

O.K.

I've seen acorn nuts but I just never knew that was what they were called...

I wonder what size socket a guy needs. The thread size is 5/16x24...

Thanks...BCB

The other term to describe an acorn nut is "Bullet Nosed Cap Nut"

They are available from any local hardware supplier.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Bought a cordless screwdriver

Bought a B&D cordless screwdriver, 180 rpm, charged it up for a few hours and let 'er rip. Works great but needed to be charged overnight. Will do more tonight. MUCHO easier than doing them by hand.....

Boolit Master

I looked for one today and could only find a 5/16x18 and not a 5/16x24...

Will need to seach further...

We have a very good supplier of many hardware items and I bet they will have it--just didn't go there today...

Boolit Buddy
    The ole' lady got a Dremel lithium-ion "Driver" for Christmas several years back. It is a cordless screwdriver with a pistol grip. I tried it in place of a typical B&D straight cordless screwdriver. I've never looked back. The thing runs for ever and is easier on my arthritic hands to boot.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller