MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Indoor bullet trap

Boolit Grand Master

Indoor bullet trap

I recently aquired an old Stevens model 15-A single shot rifle. I bought some Aguila Colibris and they shoot like a pellet rifle.

As crazy as it sounds, I got to wondering how I could build a bullet trap so I could shoot my rifle in the camper while I'm camped out on the job. I discovered that a newspaper, folded as it comes, fits perfectly in a large flat rate box. I taped up a box, filled it with Sunday papers that I had layin' around and taped it shut.

The box is 5 3/4" thick and 12" square. At 20 ft, it makes a perfect bullet trap. Tape a small bore target on it, stand it up at one end of the camper, plop down on the couch at the other end and shoot 'till your heart's content!

Boolit Buddy
    Wouldn't be a bad idea to put a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal in the bottom of if you happen to bore a hole through the newspapers. It would at least save the camper wall. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have an exhaust fan running either...

my two cents. Take them for what they are worth...

Matt

Boolit Master

indoor range?

Jim, I salute You...you have moved up to super redneck status

Talk about your man cave, you gotter all, buddy.

BTW, I had a close friend and hunting buddy a while back (he unfortunately died about 10 years ago) who had some of that super redneck in him. One day I was sitting in his living room with him discussing the building of custom varmint rifles (back when you could still shoot groundhogs across fields in Pa.: all hiding out from the coyotes now in field edges but I digress)
    As we were talking with him sitting on the couch and me in the recliner, I saw him stop talking, reach under the couch cushion, pull out a S&W model 36 revolver and fire it right there in the living room, killing a mouse which was sneaking out from under a piece of furniture. The noise (totally unexpected) was thunderously loud. I was shaken and blurted out something like "What the H***, are you crazy?"

He just grinned and said "another one bites the dust".

I went over to the point of impact and discovered one shreaded mouse and many chips and gouges in the floor from the birdshot he had loaded in the .38 spl.

My buddy came over, picked up the mouse by the tail and threw it out into the yard, walked over to a throw rug and threw it over the point of impact.

Now, Garrett's wife was out shopping with my wife at the time and I said some to the effect of "how long do you think that is going to keep your wife from finding the damaged floor?"

Garrett shrugged and said "I guess if she doesn't like it the door goes both ways".

Garrett was a character; he also once got so excited over seeing a big buck in the back yard during deer season that he slid the sliding window aside and took the shot from the kitchen table, forgetting that there was a screen in place. He got the buck but the .243 size hole from the 6mm Rem. remained in the screen 'till his death.

His answer to that "sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

Anyway, enjoy your new indoor redneck range and y'all be careful, ya hear?
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Mold
    The Aquila rounds are great. I have been using them for a while now and they can't be beat for quiet target fun. I know if I start shooting a lot of them, I am going to be looking to mexican match some bullets of my own in the cheep bulk stuff. I guess I better check out Midway for some 20 gr bullets.

I built an airgun pellet trap out of a 12X12X4 Electrical box and about 12 pounds of electrical Duct Seal.
    .177 Pellets at 12 Foot Pounds go about 1/2 to 3/4" in the stuff. Total depth of the Duct Seal is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
    That would definitely stop those Colibri's. An added benefit is the more shots in the stuff, the more energy it can take. The layers of lead from the shot pellets actually "season" it.
    You can also dig out the clumps of fused pellets and recycle the lead.
    Silver Eagle

TANSTAAFL
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    - Robert A. Heinlein from "The moon is a harsh mistress"

Boolit Buddy
    I've been shooting some Colibris into telephone books while doing some testing in the basement. I've noticed they were burrowing a tunnel where most were hitting so be careful, they will exit with force if you shoot into your trap enough.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nwellons View Post
    I've been shooting some Colibris into telephone books while doing some testing in the basement. I've noticed they were burrowing a tunnel where most were hitting so be careful, they will exit with force if you shoot into your trap enough.
    Sharp observation and wise advice.

The box is 5" thick and I only do that on occasion. So far, I don't think the crater is a finger joint deep.

Why not just make a trap with a 1/4" steal back plate. You can shoot anything in that till your hearts content & salvage the lead to boot.

Build the frame out of wood & line the sides with metal to protect them from any bullet splash/splatter. The frame should hold the 1/4" steal plate at a 40* to 45* angle & be able to hold a couple of inches of sand in the bottom of it.

This style of home made trap works on anything from 22's to mild 38's with no problems. I'm using something similar (a 30* backer plate) in my basemant right now for a 10m pellet range.

Don't let that 15-a wear you out, there one of those classic 22's that's hard to get enough of.

Since you have an abundance of lead at home, Why not make a cookie sheet backer to put behind the box in case any of the bullets make it all the way through. Probably 1 to 1.5 inches thick a little bit bigger then the dimensions of the box.

Good idea but I vote for a 1/2" to 3/4" backer or he would have to buy a brand new fold up easy chair to hold the weight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Good idea but I vote for a 1/2" to 3/4" backer or he would have to buy a brand new fold up easy chair to hold the weight.
    Yeah, and hire somebody to tote the dern thing around for me, too.

LOL, good one jim!!!

I know what you mean, the 1 I use is all metal, 1/4" back with angle iron frame & 1/8" sides. It has an opening of 14" x 12". It weighs in at a wopping 28#.

That's why I recommended a wood frame & sheet metal (duct work metal) over wood for the sides. I've made them before & they weigh in the 20# range. I know 20# would be a heck of a strain on you but you should only have to lift it once to put it in place.

I'm sure a box full of newspapers weighs a lot less.

I shoot bricks of Colbri's into an outers trap, I collect the lead and throw it into the pot when I need to.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Aguila calibri's. I shoot them in the house at a couple of taped together phone books with my rifles and pistols, (22short & LR) never had a problem with them going through and it saves the lead. plus very low noise levels.