Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: CVA mountain rifle 50 cal

CVA mountain rifle 50 cal

I found one in a pawn shop with a USA barrel for 149.00. I thought I hit the jackpot till I looked down the barrel. The outside looked nice enough, but, the bore was solid rust. What a shame

Roger

Boolit Master

Just cast up some R.E.A.L.s use Valve Grinding compound as lube and see the difference.
    Those are amazing rifles.
    Very accurate.
    You done good.

I know that I have left a muzzle loader uncleaned, and loaded to boot, for a year. Very bad on my part, irresponsible as all get out.

However, it looked like a coral reef was growing in there but I figured I had nothing to loose by cleaning it anyways. I spent a while, and used several different methods, but it was VERY shinny in the end.

Yes, it was pitted some, but not enough to effect accuracy that much. I guess pitting is a little less harsh on accuracy maybe because the projectiles do not move as fast as a modern rifle and they generally have a lot more lube on them. But I am no expert in this so take that with a grain of salt.

Boolit Master
    Yea GREAT Rifle. But work on that bore.docones big on fire lapping & I would give
    that a try.But I bet if it's not horrable you can bring that bad boy back.

Fly

Well, I would try to clean it, but, I didn't buy it. When I'm buying a used gun, the bore is the first thing I check and that one was a deal killer

Roger

what barrel was on it? 45 - 50cal?

50 cal.

Boolit Grand Master

Offer them a hundred. Maybe it will clean up better. Sometimes they do but it depends on your deffinition of rust.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

I bet it cleans right up. Those were Green Mountain Barrels.
    Do the R.E.A.L. trick, and put a patch under the R.E.A.L. Make sure it is bottomed on the powder also.
    That rifle has a small Knoxx chamber also. A dry ball comes right out! Remove the nipple, put in a couple of grains of powder.
    Done!
    Even if you have to put a screw into the R.E.A.L. and pull it up an down the bore with lapping compound I bet it cleans right up.
    I got one that had been left uncleaned, and with a ball and powder for over 20yrs.
    Cleaned right up.
    The powder became a solid lump, the ball was a pain, but out it came and it is a good rifle now.

What does it cost to have one rebored?

Roger

Boolit Master
    If the pawn shop guy is aware of its condition and that P/S guy took it in as a trade or a straight buy and got stung on it. Why should you compensate him for careless judgement. Make him a offer reducing His price by the cost of a new replacement barrel including postage and sales tax. Do not accept ("I'll meet you half way.") monkey business. If He accepts your original offer. "Your Good to Go!" _It's becomes your decision on whether you want to try cleaning it or just order another G/M BrL and replace it. If He won't make such a deal. Calmly put the rifle back into its rack position. No harm No foul and go home. Keep in mind " His rifle> It won't be the last used B/P rifle you'll ever run into.
    Last edited by OverMax; 08-28-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    If the pawn shop guy is aware of its condition and that P/S guy took it in as a trade or a straight buy and got stung on it. Why should you compensate him for careless judgement. Make him a offer reducing His price by the cost of a new replacement barrel including postage and sales tax. Do not accept ("I'll meet you half way.") monkey business. If He accepts your original offer. "Your Good to Go!" _It's becomes your decision on whether you want to try cleaning it or just order another G/M BrL and replace it. If He won't make such a deal. Calmly put the rifle back into its rack position. No harm No foul and go home. Keep in mind " His rifle> It won't be the last used B/P rifle you'll ever run into.
    My feelings exactly.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    I bet it cleans right up. Those were Green Mountain Barrels.
    No they arent, they used Douglas barrels on the USA made mountain rifles.

Boolit Master

Douglas, thats right. I got mixed up there.
    I forget where the cut off point is. Either with patch box, or without.
    Still a good rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Offer him 50 bucks.