Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does everybody age there boolits before sizing them.

Boolit Master

I like to size and lube right away and then "age" my boolits
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Not intentionally. Sometimes, it just takes me a while to get to 'em.
    Me Tooooooo.

Boolit Master
    I don't have any set routine for casting and then sizing. Somtimes boolits lie around for years before I decide to size them for a particular firearm. This is a hazard that comes from having too many moulds!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Sizing before inspecting.
    Seems to help see any defects, and they go through sizer nicely the same day.

Heat Treat later if needed for that round.

Pan lube / LLA couple days before loading.

Boolit Master
    For the most part I am like most of the replies, when I pour I pour in quantity, unless I am playing with a new alloy or mold. Once I find what I want, I might pour up 20 or more pounds of them and size and lube as needed.

When I started and was only pouring for one revolver and one type of boolit, I would wait two weeks before sizing, usually due to it took that long to check out the first batch, or work through a few loads with a different powder. However like mentioned above, once I found the load, I poured in mass quantity which are now sitting on the shelf awaiting their time down the barrel.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Master
    The shed where I cast is not heated or cooled so I try to cast most of my boolits in the spring or fall. I lube and size when I get around to it. I've cast,shot, the same day with no problems but most often there's a time lapse.
    My alloy does harden with age so right before hunting season I try to cast a few just to be sure of expansion.
    I really doubt that it makes any difference.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    I wait three days on all of them. Air cooled or water quenched. I pretty new to the alloying part of this and like to measure my hardness after the same amount of time for consistancy. Once I have that down, I plan on doing like everyone else and do it when I can.

In Remembrance

I can safely say I let them sit for close to a week before I size. Sometimes I forget about the pile of bullets to be sized for a month or more.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I only pay attention to water dropped boolits. I size them same day cast, usually within a few hours. That way I don't worry about softening the surface when I size later. Besides, they are significantly easier to size then.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I try to size within 24 hours of casting, whether or not I water drop.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Not intentionally. Sometimes, it just takes me a while to get to 'em.
    Me too.

It has never been an issue sizing an lubing at a later date.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I normally size & lube my boolits the same day I cast them, or the next day. As I use a fairly soft lube, and store the boolits in a large tub the lube tends to come off some of the boolits, and so I've started running boolits thru my Star again right before I load them. I've noticed that some of the boolits I cast a while ago get sized down a bit, even tho they're going thru the same sizing die, so I can only assume the boolits grew a little.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

So, not to derail the thread, but...

... I have a question. My normal routine is:

Cast 300 or so of a particular bullet.
    Cull them the same day and set the keepers aside.
    I almost always water drop, if for no other reason than I can handle the bullets immediately.
    Size and lube when I feel like it or am pressed to load some rounds in that caliber (may be weeks, months or years).

This system has served me well for years (leaning toward eons now). This last spring I wanted to try a softer alloy than typical (something like a 12 vs. 15). For the first time ever that I can recall, I cast, sized & lubed, loaded and fired the rounds the same day (RCBS 45-201, sized .452 (for a .451 slugged bore), 5.6 gr. 231, just enough taper crimp to close the bell). Not one round would seal the bore enough to cycle the action of my 1911. Accuracy was nonexistent in a gun that shoots this load into an inch at 25 yards out of a Ransom Rest. I have since cast the same alloy, let the bullets wait a week, sized, lubed, loaded them and they function perfectly.

Here's the question: What the ...?!?

Maybe I need to check my aged sized/lubed boolits to see if they've grown to .453 or something.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Cool Ageing bullets???

I usually cast a bunch and get to them as I need them.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master

I cast mostly for rifle and usually cast several hundred for each caliber wanted. I size when needed but not until the boolits have aged 4 weeks. I did an ageing test several yrs. ago by testing the hardness on a weekly basis. The boolits continued to increase in hardness until the end of the 4th week. Since then I always wait 4 weeks before sizing. Before doing this test I sized some 8mm boolits 2 days after casting and increased the ogive of the boolit. Did not realize this until I tried to chamber one. The nose was too large for the throat.

Larry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippShodd View Post
    ... I have a question. My normal routine is:

Cast 300 or so of a particular bullet.
    Cull them the same day and set the keepers aside.
    I almost always water drop, if for no other reason than I can handle the bullets immediately.
    Size and lube when I feel like it or am pressed to load some rounds in that caliber (may be weeks, months or years).

This system has served me well for years (leaning toward eons now). This last spring I wanted to try a softer alloy than typical (something like a 12 vs. 15). For the first time ever that I can recall, I cast, sized & lubed, loaded and fired the rounds the same day (RCBS 45-201, sized .452 (for a .451 slugged bore), 5.6 gr. 231, just enough taper crimp to close the bell). Not one round would seal the bore enough to cycle the action of my 1911. Accuracy was nonexistent in a gun that shoots this load into an inch at 25 yards out of a Ransom Rest. I have since cast the same alloy, let the bullets wait a week, sized, lubed, loaded them and they function perfectly.

Here's the question: What the ...?!?

Maybe I need to check my aged sized/lubed boolits to see if they've grown to .453 or something.

mike
    My boolits are really soft for the first day or two, not much harder than pure.
    They won't test on my lee hardness tester. By the third day they test about 10 which is about where I want them for my 45 colt. They will creep up another point or two in time but still work ok for me.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Mold
    Yesterday I started to size/lube some 125 gr. (Lyman 358242) for 9mm. Bullets have been cast for some time - not sure, could be 2 -3 years. .355 die. Bullet goes in sorta tight - almost had to 'beat' them out. Miked 'em then. Diameter ranges from .362 -.365. Never had a problem before. Hardness checked a bit less than 10 Brinnell. Don't know alloy - scrap - prob a lot of ww. Checked some others (sized). They were as sized. I know some of them were older than the 125's.
    ???
    Oh well.
    KSB

Since I cast and lube in the garage, I try to do it all in the summer (more comfortable working conditions and the lube flows much better) stocking up for the winter, when I do most of my loading (in my office/ loading room) and shooting. Boolits are cast then lubed within a couple of days Works for me.
    Last edited by pistolshooter; 08-31-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I don't think it does me any good to age boolits. Way out west we don't have wheel weights made of anything castable so my lead comes from a foundry without any arsenic in it. I drop them onto a towel to cool. Next I spray them with cooking oil like Pam and shove them thru a Lee sizer. After washing off the cooking oil with dishwashing soap I panlube. I've checked hardness immediately and months later and it stays the same. I've water dropped and I've heat treated in the oven and quenched in ice water and there wasn't much change in BHN.
    Patriot to the Concept of a Nation that Owes its Greatness to the Liberties its People Demand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12