Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to put on Rossi '92 stock?

Boolit Master

What to put on Rossi '92 stock?

Not looking to do a full refinish, 20 hand rubbed coats, ect. I just want to wipe on a little oil to deepen the factory finish a little, so far on the list is Balistol or BLO, would one of these work or is there anything else I should consider?

Boolit Mold
    I put about 5 coats of tung oil, after I removed the ugly stain that came on the carbine. Did not restain, I just put the oil on the natural stock and now it look pretty good. There was some decent looking wood under that nasty stain that came on it. I didn't see much of what you could call a finish, just ugly dark stain.

Banned

just about any of the furniture finishes will seal and protect the wood.
    i used a minwax gel on one.
    and the birchwood casey refinish stuff on a couple of others,one i stained one i didn't.
    the furniture finish does a nice job and comes in several colors and types of finish.

Boolit Buddy
    Tried one of the oils first, don't remember maybe Watco Dannish oil?, anyway the outhouse brown stain Rossi used, kept coming off on my clothes when I handled or shot the gun.
    I ended up refinishing mine with Birchwood Casey Walnut stain and filler, then used there Tru-Oil,
    ended up looking like regular walnut.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 870TC View Post
    Tried one of the oils first, don't remember maybe Watco Dannish oil?, anyway the outhouse brown stain Rossi used, kept coming off on my clothes when I handled or shot the gun.
    I ended up refinishing mine with Birchwood Casey Walnut stain and filler, then used there Tru-Oil,
    ended up looking like regular walnut.
    Good to know!

Boolit Master
    Yeah I tried refinish using normal BLO on my 92 and it turned out too light for my tastes. Birchwood casey stain and tru-oil was what made it look most like walnut.

Google Tru-Oil and Armor-All. It is what I did to mine and it looks good. Didn't work as well for me as everyone else, but is really easy to do and looks good when you're done. Took about 15-20 minutes to do 3 coats, have done 6 so far. It is supposed to get really good after 20+... I didn't take the stock off or anything, just wiped the stuff off the metal. Haven't tried it out in the rain or heat yet, but haven't had any problems in a few range trips.

Boolit Buddy
    Tru oil does bring out the grain, fast, and easy. If you don't like it's shine, rub 0000 steel wool. It doesn't take much to make it dull, but the grain still shows nice.

Boolit Master

How about a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax?

Boolit Master

Did a search and found plenty of folks that use JPW on both their wood and steel, so I decided to give it a try last night. Took a few coats before anything really started to happen, but I was able to get it up to a medium gloss after a while. Only problem was, you could rub the wax off with your fingers, so I buffed it back down to a satin finish. It filled the open grain, made the "Rossi Brown" more of a lighter amber color, and brought out the grain some. I am pretty pleased given how easy it was. Best part was it really polished up the reciever nicely!

When I sanded down a part a stock, the walnut underneath was lighter. I used minwax dark walnut over the whole stock to get an even color and a Danish oil to seal the wood. Then a coat of Johnson's paste wax on both the iron and wood to finish the job. I found the JPW made the gun a bit slippery to handle. It does wear off with handling however.

Good hunting,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master

Only took me a month to get around to uploading pics but here they are!

Before:

After:

This was before I knocked the shine off, but even after a month of handling and shooting in warm weather the nice satin finish has held up well.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Nice job Farmer. It's always nicer to carry a rifle I've worked on. Nice job. And don't you just love them Rossi's?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 870TC View Post
    ...anyway the outhouse brown stain Rossi used, kept coming off on my clothes when I handled or shot the gun.
    Hot dang!

It's the Rossi colour of course... I've been rubbing Scherell's Schaftol stock oil on a 92 for a while,wondering why it comes off... aarghh..it's the Rossi crap colour "finish".

Rossi really didn't make much right with this rifle,did they? Well,my barrel is good but otherwise... I got mine very,very cheap,it's a warranty return. But you give this kind of guns to the enemy.

Boolit Buddy
    How did you strip off the Rossi finish?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    How did you strip off the Rossi finish?
    Who,me?

I did nothing to it. But when I noticed the stock was sucking water drops in I started to oil it. It never occurred to me that the original colour comes off in rain.

I'll try paint remover. Or a Boyd stock.

Boolit Master
    I just did a "partial" refinish on my .44 mag Rossi 92. Mine's an older one that had a weird almost black finish which water didn't take off. It had a bunch of light scratches, so I sanded it with various grits of sandpaper and used a couple coats of Watco Teak oil. The finish is much lighter now, and it's got a really nice depth to it. It turned out the wood has some really beautiful grain to it which was hidden under that weird black stuff.

I also put a coat of Johnson Paste Wax as well, and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I rub mine with ATF. Cleans and protects.

Boolit Master

I've still got the rifle. Wood still looks good. I did get caught in a light rain with it. Where a raindrop hit it the finish looked lighter like it was washing off, but once it dried, it looked fine again.

Super Moderator

..........I have 2 Rossi leverguns and both had 'Adequate' looking wood under some kind of limp characterless finish.

38/357 Rossi .....................

45 Colt rifle

I just used MinWax finish from Lowes. I only have 2 Rossi specimens but from the numbers I've seen it appears to me that Rossi gets it's wood from whomever backs up to the dock.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast