Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Cast boolits and chrono numbers

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Cast boolits and chrono numbers

Hey guys. Has anyone noticed that with some cast boolit loads velocity declines as more boolits are fired? This happens to me every so often. I'll run a particular load through the chrono, starting with a clean gun. As more rounds are fired the average velocity starts to decline, sometimes the extreme spread gets bigger also. It seems most pronounced in short barrels, such as my snubnose .38 and Kel-Tec P32. Anyone ever notice this before? Could the build up of fouling be changing the pressure curve and burning characterisitics? Accuracy seems about the same when this happens.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never run more than two strings on the chrono when clocking rounds.
    The ones I run are quite close but different. I attributed it to the gun warming up.
    You bring up an interesting point that others may be able to expound on.

When working up loads, I bring several different charges and a notebook. If I fill up the chrono,
    I write down the data, erase it and continue.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

If that happens with a rifle, the lube isn't holding together as the gun gets hot.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

It happens both in rifle and handgun. The barrel gets seasoned or fouled and that can slow the bullets down. I've also seen velocities increase as as the barrel gets and even coat of a good working lube in it,again in rifles and handguns.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    It happens both in rifle and handgun. The barrel gets seasoned or fouled and that can slow the bullets down.

Larry Gibson
    I note that if I clean my Marlin (squeeky clean with Kroil and degrease) it'll take around 30 rounds to return to the original point of impact... after that it'll stay on the mark 'til the next clean up (many thou's rounds later)....
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master

In a clean barrel, i'd attribute that to barrel seasoning. With no lube, there's slightly more friction and resistance hence more pressure and more velocity. As the barrel becomes fouled and lubed, less resistance and less pressure and velocity.

Darn, wish we had a simple device like a chrony to monitor pressure. We'd learn a lot./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

I noticed this many years ago and now just run a bore brush once thru the bore and velocity and accuracy will be restored. I think it is a combination of the lube and powder fouling and possibly primer fouling that causes the changes.

Awhile back I bought one of those 223 pellet conversions from the Sportsman's Guide that uses a shotgun primer. I never realized how much fouling primers make until firing this. After about 4 or 5 shots the pellets were going everywhere but where I aimed them. Previous to this number of shots they were just about going thru the same hole.
    When I ran a brush thru the barrel it was extremely hard to push it thru. It took many applications of #9 and a brush to remove the black fouling. I discontinued use of this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GRid.1569 View Post
    I note that if I clean my Marlin (squeeky clean with Kroil and degrease) it'll take around 30 rounds to return to the original point of impact... after that it'll stay on the mark 'til the next clean up (many thou's rounds later)....
    Then you're doing everything right, have a balanced load, and a good lube that works with the alloy, barrel, and pressures you use. You have achieved "nirvana". This is one of the reasons I don't like to clean my rifle barrels, they have to re-season afterwards. I use Ed's Red for light cleanings, if you just barely dampen a patch with it it will wipe out the powder fouling and prevent rust for short periods, but isn't so powerful that it soaks out the "season" from a good lube.

If you have to clean every so many shots to restore accuracy, as is often the case with lubes containing Alox or calcium soaps which tend to accumulate, then a lube change is in order. A good lube will maintain consistent bore condition for many hundreds, even thousands of rounds without cleaning.

Gear

Banned

bet it levels out after about 7- 12 rounds from the clean bbl.

after that if you see inconsistencies it can be attributed to the load [seen as stringing on the target] or your lube getting too wet [giving off too much oil] in the heat.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think the responces here are right on the money. Last night I was reviewing my chrono data from last Saturday and I found that, after 8 rounds, the average velocity for my .32 Auto with 2.1 grains of Titegroup declined from around 810 to 765 and then stayed there consistently. I've also found that my pet .38 Special load in my S&W 10-5 with 4" barrel stays around 870 fps regardless of how many rounds are fired. Perhaps the longer barrel gives the powder more time to burn, compensating for the build up of lube and fouling. Accuracy with the 158 grain boolit is always spot on no matter what. Man I love that 40 year old police trade in, best centerfire handgun I've ever owned!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

As Gear said.

I found that over cleaning of rifle barrels caused drifting of POI. This is bad, especially when hunting. My opinion is that over zealous cleaning is an artifact and legend perpetuated from when service ammo was corrosive. YMMV

Bliksem
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

My opinion is that over zealous cleaning is an artifact and legend perpetuated from when service ammo was corrosive. YMMV
    Amen to that
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

When I shot pistol.. PPC... (don't get me start on that ... )
    I described it as "accurising crud"... LOL....

"100grn'rs don't work at 25meters..."

So those "X's"... are ... What?...
    May we achieve our aims....