Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American hoggers

Boolit Master

American hoggers

I started watching this show, and the daughter got mad because her brother shot a big pig. She said if they had taken it alive they could have gotten $600-700. For it. Since he had shot it, their dad got to cook it (or attempt to). ?
    It is based in Texas.

So, why would it be worth money alive, but not dead?
    Seems they take all of them alive?

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    They would either put it in a small fenced area for a paid hunt or sell it to a game ranch for the same purpose.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    It dont seem right.
    if the hogs are such a problem, why should they be allowed to take them alive.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Money
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Quote Originally Posted by oneokie View Post
    Money
    Makes the world go round........
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I read of folks having MAJOR problems with critters damaging their land. When you VOLUNTEER to help rid them of their EXPENSIVE crop or animal damaging pests suddenly these same critters are very valuable and can only be harvested after YOU PAY them to help solve THEIR problem.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    bill i have run into that thinking too. i just don't bother to help any more.

Bill, that is how the prairie dog hunt progressed. Early on it was free to come and eradicate the pests that burrowed holes and broke the legs of the cattle.

Then, it be came a "paid for" sport at the same ranches.

To be fair, some farmers started putting up the hunters, shooting shelters, food water, ....so they started charging. Others did nothing, but still wanted 50 bucks to setup on the field lines.

Money.

Pigs....we have had a couple of sightings in the Northwoods, rare. Not the same problem as other southern states have, yet. Whew.

Got a cougar on cam last week in the Northwoods though....very scary looking into the cam.

Down here in south Texas pigs are a serious pest and dangerous. But like Bob208 says I dont even try. Charge me to help them? Aint gonna happen.

Boolit Master
    I agree.
    If anything they should be paying us.

In the rich neighborhoods of west St Louis they have a problem with deer eating all their expensive landscaping. They asked for bow hunters to come help them out. Then they wanted to put all kinds of demands on how you killed the deer.

They still have a deer problem. Lol

Boolit Buddy
    On "Reality TV" its all about the drama. None of the shows are about hunting, hog removal, or guns. Its all about the drama!
    I got enough of that stuff without watching more.
    CF
    Last edited by Trey45; 08-26-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am wih you Floyd. It is all about about of morons and drama. Sort of a guys version of Jersey Shore if you ask me. Not interested.
    Last edited by btroj; 08-26-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master
    I was working in a archery/gun shop and a customer came in and was gripping about the hogs eating his peanut crop I said I wouldn't mind shooting some for you. He said $100 per hog! I replied when the hogs eat your dog of your front pouch call I do not intend to help you out and have to pay for the privilege!!!!
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    There was a market about four years ago close to where I live that would buy wild hogs of any size and shape as long as they where alive. No idea what they did with them, but rumor said they packaged them up and sold the meat to China. I remember when they quit buying hogs because a guy showed up with an 18 wheeler rig full of hogs. When they said there was no market for them the truck driver was so hacked that he drove down the street a ways and turned them all loose...

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't mind helping them out and letting them keep othe hogs, but to pay for the right to help them out?
    I don't think so.

Boolit Master
    Yep same here... Anyone and everyone in my area complains about hogs, but very few will let anyone come and hunt them. I know a few ranchers that did let guys hunt them, but the trigger happy fools will shoot at anything that shines out there in the dark including deer and stock. I am close enough with a few ranchers and they will let me and only me come hunt them.

Boolit Master

I think Floyd,s got it right. It could be in interesting show if they cut out the drama ****. I was interested in watching them deal with the hogs but could not care less about two spoiled kids not playing well together. And also suspect much of the "rivalry" is encouraged or fabricated by producers.
    FB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSP64 View Post
    Since he had shot it, their dad got to cook it (or attempt to.)
    Most (including myself) have found the "big" hogs to be inedible.

Boolit Master
    I live in a rural area and trap. Often get the call, "I have some beavers, or whatever", when I respond that it's $.25 mile and $75 for 1st day and then we can decide what the charges will be depending on how many visits and how many beavers..... the response is usually "don't you sell them?" and when I say, they ain't worth skinning, they seem puzzled. I usually follow with an economics lesson and all goes well or we part company. LOL, Bob don't serve no free lunch to wealthy folks! I've had surgeons and car dealership owners try to get a "better deal" but I'm gettin back in their pockets or no deal! LOL, retired life can be so much fun and I'm makin it easier for the next guy to get the $ they deserve for some hard **** work. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

I really enjoy the dramatic way Krystal and her friend wrestle them hogs. They both have their own revolvers too.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.