Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: RCBS sizing die okay for .452?

Boolit Buddy

RCBS sizing die okay for .452?

I've read here in the past that Lyman sizers are better for boolits with multiple bands. As the double hole sets fill em up better. I have been waiting for grafs to get the .452 lyman sizer in stock, but will be making my purchase this weekend no matter what.

I have a 300gr herters mold for my 45 colt that has several smaller bands (45300), and another lee mold that is 300gr that has more then one as well. Would I be better served waiting to buy the Lyman. Or will the RCBS be good enough?

Plus I have access to a bridgeport, and was wondering if I couldn't just chuck it up, and drill another set of holes in the RCBS anyways, then lath in a band like the top set of holes already there.

If it's better to endure the wrath of my wife and just make a second order from another store I... could.... do that as well. I'm using my store to "hide" the 250 dollar order of top punches and sizers from her, but of all my suppliers, only grafs has a plethora of pinatas- er... molding stuff for me to buy.

Plus I'm using a hard alloy but nothing near #2, and I know lyman will only cast to .452 exactly if you use #2. Getting a .454 just in case....

Dammit, aren't I supposed to SAVE money reloading?
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

I have been at this bullet casting and reloading game for over 50 years now and have dozens of sizing dies made by Lyman and RCBS. Both do the job just fine and I can't tell the difference between them and purchase whatever is available and don't worry about it.

You can read some pretty funky stuff on this board.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I think most any sizing die, Lyman, RCBS, Star, whatever, have 3 rows of holes. Normally, we have to plug one or two rows so that if we only have one loob gruv, we don't get lube all over the place. That's my experience, anyhow.... enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I've only ever had to plug holes in Star dies, to match the amount of grooves in the bullet, I've never had to do this with Lyman style dies as the tightly fitted "I" stem makes it unnecessary. I also have always used both RCBS and Lyman dies interchangeably. I don't know where this stuff comes from.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had to plug the holes in a sizer for one particular boolit. I use Lyman and RCBS with a smattering of Bullshots sizing dies and don't have a problem with them. Well, I did have a Lyman sizer in .502" crack right along the holes but it was replaced at no charge.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

you only need one lube groove full of lube to go down a 7" bbl, a 30" bbl too for that matter.
    i have very few boolits that need or even have more than 1 lube groove.
    a couple of lyman rifle boolits and 2 loverign designs.
    those get 2 grooves filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Del-Ray View Post
    Dammit, aren't I supposed to SAVE money reloading?
    As was explained to me a long time ago - there are two paths in boolit casting
    one is minimalist/fugal and that's the guy who using his existing camp stove with his single mold makes from found lead with his one mold boolits for his single firearm.

The rest of us just get more shooting for the same money we would have spent buying factory.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks so far guys.

I placed a 291.00 dollar order today for sizers and top punches.

And that's WHOLESALE prices.

I got everything I needed. With two RCBS sizers included.
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."