Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Smelter Identification

Smelter Identification

I used this smelter to process 60 pounds of wheel weights last night and it work very well.
    I see no apparent way to refill the propane tank.
    I doubt that any reputable propane refill facility would even do it base on the age of the tank.
    Has anyone ever seen a smelting pot setup similar to attached photo.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Not only have I seen one, I have one. It is a plumber's lead furnace, originally used to melt lead for caulking lead joints in cast iron pipe.

The propane is totally refillable. I just got mine refilled about 2 weeks ago. The furnace part screws off the top of the tank leaving the valve at the bottom on the tank. You will probably have to take it to your local propane gas dealer. You will not be able to do the tank exchange thing at your local supermarket as the valves are different.

My tank is probably a lot older than yours and they had no problem with refilling it. There is are exceptions to the new regulations requiring anti-pressure valves for tanks used for non-residential uses (read: it doesn't hook up to a gas grill). Depending on the age of the tank and your state's regulations, you may have to get it pressure tested. I never have had too, but YMMV in your state. The last refill I got cost $20, for the full 20 lbs (the exchange tanks at the supermarket only fill them to 15 lbs, so that is a plus for taking it in for refill). ...and most places will only charge for the amount added, so if you have one that is half full, you only pay for 10 lbs to top it off.

As you have noticed, it will melt lead really quickly. I have a hard time keeping to down below 700° when smelting wheel weights.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy

I have and use one also. I changed to a stand model with a stand from Circle Mfg. which had to have threads machined due to bad casting even though they still make this type of furnace.

You can control the heat by installing a needle valve, which I purchased online from Tejassmokers,com.

You can also make a stand for the furnace. I also have one of those that I cast and smelt from.

Thanks fellows.
    I just happen to know a couple of OLD plumbers that I can contact for local help.
    They may know about the refill status here in merry ol Michigan.
    Worst case I find my way to H. Callahan's location.
    I did try to keep the melt temperature as low as possibly by closing the valve until flame was just barely burning.
    No signs of Zinc in the melt as I used hand held trimmers on each WW before tossing it in the melt bucket.
    Thanks again to all who offer "HOW TOO'S at CAST BULLITS.

Yes, you can still get them filled if you can find somebody with the right adapters. (Shouldn't be too hard) They're not subject to the same date stamp, over fill regulations as grill tanks.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD! Do you trust your life and property to something that's been sitting in the back of a plumber's shop, unused for thirty years? Gaskets and valve packing can dry out and develop leaks. I know from first hand experience it gets a bit disconcerting when you see flames coming from places that shouldn't be flaming.

Even worse when you have to reach through the flames to get to the shut off valve....thank God for leather welding gloves and a heavy denim jacket!

Do yourself a favor and have the tank inspected/repaired before you have it filled.

JMHO....worth every bit you paid for it.....

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Thanks for the heads up KY Caster. I contacted an old plumber friend and he had used this type for years. I will take smelter to have him look it over. FYI I received this smelter with a full tank and used very little to process WW's. I may just save for processing nasty stuff that comes along now and then.

Boolit Master

I've got one and like it a lot and as stated before it will melt it down quick. I had no idea they still made them I guess that speaks for how well they work. FB