RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sorting wheel weights

Boolit Master

SSNOW,

Funny. I had a zinc display just like your picture on my work bench during my last sorting session.

Even though zinc is not written on the weight, they are easy to distinguish after a while.

By the way, the 5 gallons that I was sorting had 80% COWW, 15% SOWW, 3%Cast Iron, and 2% zinc.

Just like the good old days. I was surprised.

Boolit Master
    If you are on good terms with the local tire store, they'll sort the lead and zinc separate for you. I told them I'd pay $5 a bucket more, and took them a bucket with my name and phone number on the side, clearly marked "LEAD". Out of the last two buckets I smelted, I found three zinc weights, two I spotted before they went in the pot, one popped to the top as I stirred in the new batch I was adding. I still look them over as I add them to the smelt pot, but it makes it LOTS faster.

Boolit Mold
    My smelting pot is on the small side, and I do not like skimming clips! My solution is to use a pair of small bolt cutters or compound leverage wire cutters, cut the clip section from the lead weights and sort out the weights that are not lead because they resist the cutters a lot more. then I have all the clips in a separate bucket from lead without clips.
    With the right cutters, the fatigue level is low, for me that is.
    And I can smelt at least 3 pots of no clips for every pot requiring clip skimming!

Gideons301

Boolit Master

ssnow,

Those are the ones in question, particularly the 2nd thru 4th ones from the top. And you're right, there are lead ones that are exactly the same, and they are mostly all painted gray.

Its the wire cutter method for me!

Boolit Bub
    good thread.
    It seems to me marks MC and AW, AWW , AL are manufactures marks that show up on lead and zinc?
    Last edited by TrapperXX; 02-23-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    I visual inspect of every WW. At least twice before they make it into the smelting pot. Since Cal. has gone lead free I don't get much anymore. Local garage says it probably isn't worth my time to sort wheel weights and I am retired.

I keep the temp down. I do smaller batches and stir,stir,stir. That will take care of the hot spots. But then I'm not casting bullets. Making fishing sinkers. A worm doesn't care if he is drowned with lead or zinc. I have smelted enough WW's that I rarely get it hot enough to melt zinc.
    I used to hand sort, but it is Monotonous. You will figure the best way for you. Even if you melt a couple of zinc weights the percentage is small. Just remember stir,stir,stir. Good luck and have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12