RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haven't seen my favorite Cardinal.....

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    OK , I got home from work today at 5 pm Went out and filled the bird feeders A few minutes later here is what I saw in the one feeder area I think they know something we don't know Sorry but I shot this through the kitchen window!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChristmasTree 3-5-15.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	132911
    We counted 11 males and 8 females but I could only get 7 males in the shot + one female
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I'm on Cardinal overload!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    We get a few Cardinals here in the Ozarks...............Terry

Boolit Master
    I'm trying to figure out why when I post a photo it never comes up full size here. Must be something to do with my settings. Does this forum limit photo size? Seems like 800 pixel is max for me (?)
    I cropped out a lot of the extra photo area to see if the photo will show larger but it still is the same size. There is actually another female in the tree.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CardinalTree.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	132937
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    JwFilips if you click on your photo it comes up full size........Terry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    JwFilips if you click on your photo it comes up full size........Terry
    It does come up to 800 pixels but the file is 2000 pixels. So it should come up much larger. I guess there must be a view size limit on the forum. Maybe one of the mods would know

Boolit Master
    I saw my first Painted Bunting the other day at my feeder. That was my all time goal! Never saw one in 37 years down here, but I really don't look for em while counting cows.

I do try to control the Grackle population as much as I can. If I can kill 6 or 8 and freeze them, I use them on my Gator lines in the fall. Skewer a whole grackle with a tuna hook, outstretch his wings and add a quarter of a nutria rat under it. It will flop in the breeze and the gators then have sight and smell attractants.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

We have been putting out feed for the past couple of years. The tree is just outside of our bedroom window. Seen a couple of pairs of Cardinals, but what we like to watch are the variety of woodpeckers. They love the suet. We've seen at least three species, from small to huge. And they can be funny hanging upside down pecking the feed. Good stuff

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I had a cooper's hawk at the feeder this afternoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Make one of these, but put a piece of clear plexiglass in place of the wood opposite from the entrance (the other small side). For some reason the cats around here fit the bill of curiosity catches the cat. I can't catch them with a have-a heart but this wood box is like a magnet to them. I've been know to deliver them to a pound 40 miles away if I'm headed out of town.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/ou...abbit-box-trap

We don't have cardinal's here that I know of but have a couple of blue jays that show up every spring. Had to have a cat collection week, a couple of years ago after finding what was left of 3 babies. We have a leash law here so wandering cats are fair game for trapping....live.

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    DCMs wife here AKA "the bird lady".

Can't catch them with a normal trap, they're too well fed, can't shoot with a gun, too close to neighbors, have thrown bricks at them and shot at them with airgun. They'll stay away for a while.
    Problem is these guys kill for fun, they just leave the dead birds and baby bunnies lying around.
    Last edited by Minerat; 03-11-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the link to the plans for the trap. My cats are too well fed to bother the birds, but they sure like to look at them. Grandad use to love watching the Cardinals at his feeder. Neighbor cats got two of them. Man, it was war then. He loved the CCI Mini-caps in the green box. Fairly quiet in the long barrel 22 he had.

Seems my Cardinal is A.W.O.L. again.............

ok,cardinals yes,blue jays yes, What is a cackle ? google here I come.
    Sorry ,crackle. Found em on google.
    Last edited by sav300; 10-09-2016 at 06:05 AM. Reason: edit

Boolit Master
    I remember the first time I was a western tanager and it blew me away. They have a yellow body, black wings and a red head. We used to see them twice a year as they migrated thru but I haven't seen one in years. I think one big problem are the crows. When they went on the protected list it spelled doom for many baby birds of all kind. Crows in this area are as common as sparrows. I once saw one trying to kill and eat a grown pigeon. I tried running him off but he only flew just out of reach and came back as soon as I walked away. There ought to be an open season on those flying rats. There is a good reason why the cardinal is the state bird of six states. They are beautiful.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Would you be interested in a pair of woodpeckers that like pecking on the side of the house at 6:00 am ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I remember the first time I was a western tanager and it blew me away. They have a yellow body, black wings and a red head. We used to see them twice a year as they migrated thru but I haven't seen one in years. I think one big problem are the crows. When they went on the protected list it spelled doom for many baby birds of all kind. Crows in this area are as common as sparrows. I once saw one trying to kill and eat a grown pigeon. I tried running him off but he only flew just out of reach and came back as soon as I walked away. There ought to be an open season on those flying rats. There is a good reason why the cardinal is the state bird of six states. They are beautiful.
    Amendment filed 6/26/15;effective 7/1/15

§485. American Crow.

• (a) Shotgun, Falconry, and Archery Seasons, and Bag and Possession Limits.
      • (1) Season: The first Saturday in December and extending for 124 consecutive days.
      • (2) Daily Bag and Possession Limits
        • Bag Limit: 24 crows per day
        • Possession Limit: double the daily bag limit

• (3) Area: Statewide: see closure area (d) below

• (b) Crows may only be taken by shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined, bow and arrow, and falconry. The take or attempted take of any crows with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles adn ammunition pursuant to Section 250.1, Crows may not be hunted from aircraft.
    • (c) No person shall kill or cripple a crow pursuant to this section without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the bird, and retain it in their actual custody at the place where taken or between that place and either: (1) their automobile or principal means of land transportation; or (2) their personal abode or temporary or transient place of lodging; or (3) a migratory bird preservation facility; or (4) a post office; or (5) a common carrier facility.
    • (d) Crows may not be taken in the following areas:
      • (1) Within the boundaries of the Trinity and Mendocino National Forests south of Highway 36.
      • (2) North and east of a line beginning at the mouth of the Eel River; south along the Eel River to the town of Alton; east on Highway 36 from the town of Alton to Highway 89 west of Chester; south and east on Highways 89 and 395 to Interstate 15 near Hesperia; south on Interstate 15 to Interstate 10; and east on Interstate 10 to the California-Arizona border.

• (e) See Section 472(d) for the take of American crows causing depredation.

Amendment filed 6/26/15; effectuve 7/1/15.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    There is a good reason why the cardinal is the state bird of six states. They are beautiful.
    Amen!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    He made his home in my grape vines this summer.

Very careful going in and out of the vines.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy

We usually see the Western Tangier for about 6 weeks or so starting around the 1st of June. 3 or 4 years ago after a really winter, we saw them well into fall. They are beautiful birds, we at 6,000 feet here.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Wilco,thanks for the pics.very nice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast