MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X-Ray Lead is Medical Waste?

NOT pure lead. The actual specs have been posted a few times on here and average out at about 1.5/1.5/97 which is just about what you get with a 50/50 mix of WW+2% Tin and pure lead. Almost ideal for hunting boolits for handguns. I got 40 pounds from my dentist before he switched to digital. It was good while it lasted.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    NOT pure lead. The actual specs have been posted a few times on here and average out at about 1.5/1.5/97 which is just about what you get with a 50/50 mix of WW+2% Tin and pure lead. Almost ideal for hunting boolits for handguns. I got 40 pounds from my dentist before he switched to digital. It was good while it lasted.
    Hornet,

Thanks for the correction. Since I'll mostly be using this for casting target loads for my handguns, it sounds even better than I thought. If I can get a hold of some.

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just got about 15# or so of little pieces of shiny foil that are supposed to be dental something or other and contain lead along with aluminum(?) Anybody recognize what I have and how to deal with it?

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

PS to last

Apparently my late friend had tried prior to his passing to separate the aluminum foil from the lead... there was an irregular blob of lead with little squares of shiny foil also included in the stuff I got. Wonder if this is as far as he got with trying to reclaim the lead from "dental lead" pieces? The blob of lead appears to be dead soft.

Froggie

The lead foil is inside the packet that the dentist places in your mouth. It is there not to protect the film in any way but to let the dentist know that the packet was placed backwards in relationship to the teeth when the film was exposed. It also server to absorb some of the X-rays as they pass through the film packet and reduce the exposure to the rest of the patients mouth. They can be considered contaminated when the assistant opens the packet to remove the film for processing with her gloved hands that were previously in the patients mouth. Heating the foil to 6 or 7 hundred degrees will sterilize them perfectly, as well as allow you to pour them into molds and recycle them properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12