Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Poof!

Poof!

Just like that, the free lead just disappeared...

Got a note yesterday saying the indoor range I belong to will now be selling all the range scrap to the one of the big battery companies.

Not that I'm really complaining. I've got 1,500 pounds that I collected over the last year sitting in my little shed out back.

And that's a lotta boolits.

Boolit Mold
    Yep, the tire shops that use to beg you to haul it out of there act like you are robbing them now.
    They act like instead of a bucket of scrap lead its a bucket of pure 24k Gold.

Boolit Buddy
    You must live in Salina, KS.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post
    You must live in Salina, KS.
    Yup.

At first I felt kinda weird about scrapping the range, but without it I couldn't imagine being able to afford shooting. It's not against the rules, so I figured I'd see what I could scoop up. Then I went to a cleanup day and helped clean beneath the backstop. I was helping a guy load his truck so he could "take care" of the lead and he said something about how great it was for filling potholes on dirt roads. I got the distinct feeling he wasn't joking around.

I didn't feel bad about hauling off any of that lead after that.

Like I said, I've got enough for many days of casting and shooting, so I can't feel bad really. But I know there's a few guys who take buckets home on clean-up days. Hopefully they've got a decent stash.

Boolit Buddy
    I received the same letter. I have tried to bring home a short bucket every time I went to the range which wasn't often enough. It is very dirty and trashy stuff but still can make some good bullets. The letter didn't really say we couldn't take any home but that what was taken out during clean up was going to excide. I have helped in several clean up days and there is a bunch of it in there.

I will look to get my lifetime supply just a tad deeper now if I can find some wheel weights in the area.

...I will look to get my lifetime supply just a tad deeper now if I can find some wheel weights in the area.
    If all you run into is dead ends in town, you might want to try the tire shop in Lindsborg. It's got a good Mom & Pop feel and might provide more positive results than the chain stores we've got in town. I've thought of stopping many times, but always seem to be driving the VW (not exactly built for hauling lead).

Plus you can stop for lunch at the Brick House Grill and get yourself a Sloppy German (best burger ever), or there's always the Ol' Stuga.

I received the same letter. I have tried to bring home a short bucket every time I went to the range which wasn't often enough. It is very dirty and trashy stuff but still can make some good bullets. The letter didn't really say we couldn't take any home but that what was taken out during clean up was going to excide. I have helped in several clean up days and there is a bunch of it in there.

I will look to get my lifetime supply just a tad deeper now if I can find some wheel weights in the area.
    At least you have a range. The only one around here is cops only. Sure glad I live 25 miles from town and have 80 acres!
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    At least you have a range. The only one around here is cops only. Sure glad I live 25 miles from town and have 80 acres!
    Gotta' love livin' in th' country!

Boolit Grand Master

I got the same refusal from the range I had cleaned for years. Both the berm lead and the firring line brass was to be collected and sold for the benefit of the range. Last time I checked the range was littered with trash, the wood pile was about gone, the range glistened with abounded brass, and you could see the lead from the driveway.
    Must have been more work involved than management thought.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I got the same refusal from the range I had cleaned for years. Both the berm lead and the firring line brass was to be collected and sold for the benefit of the range. Last time I checked the range was littered with trash, the wood pile was about gone, the range glistened with abounded brass, and you could see the lead from the driveway.
    Must have been more work involved than management thought.
    It's a LOT of work!