Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Ok guys teach me about the 245 Saeco cast and the .358 win

Boolit Master

Smile Ok guys teach me about the 245 Saeco cast and the .358 win

I have about 170 or so of them and I am thinking about using in a .358 win ruger m-77 tang model with an 18.5" barrell - it is not loads i am interested in as i have several powders to pick from H335, H322(which is what I will likely use and varget- I am use to a larger meplat than .26? on this bullet -- the metal is finger nail soft but I have not tested it yet-- but will --the hunting is in swamp land and shots are 50-75 yards and was going to try for about 2000-2050 at the muzzle is this a good effective load?- I know it will shoot through the animal easily but is it effective-- this will be my first hunt in the .358 with cast --even though I have had this rifle and a weatherbye vanguard in a .358 since the 70's edycate me

I've taken deer at 70yds or so with a "too hard" RCBS 35-200-FN at ~1700fps...... bullet came apart, and I still dropped it in it's tracks.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40669

You shouldn't have a problem with the 250.

Banned

i use it in my ruger hawkeye with excellent results but i push it fast.
    i am not really taken with the smallish meplat,so haven't used it on an animal just yet.
    the small nose being real soft will be how i'll try it. [two part alloy boolits]

Cast Hunter

I've used that boolit to take several deer and hogs with my .358 Win M77 Hawkeye. Cast with Lyman #2, it will blast through both shoulders and keep going. The small metplat is still sufficient to create excellent internal damage even when when just zipping through the lungs.

L Ross
    I'm relying on memory here but from the writings of W.D.M. Bell in his days as an ivory hunter Bell had to shoot game animals to feed the crew of workers that he hired. He said a soft nose bullet had never "polluted" his rifle's barrel. He was shooting his .275 Rigby that we think of as a 7x57 Mauser. So I have to believe he was shooting 174gr. fmj round nose bullets at roughly 2,300 fps. There is no darned meplat at all and you sure can't scratch that bullet's nose with a finger nail.
    I say you should have no problem with 50 to 70 yard shots at game animals with the Saeco bullet. I have that exact bullet loaded in a 35 Whelen at 1,800 fps and have every confidence it will suffice when called upon.

Duke