RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on .357 lever guns?

Boolit Master
    The beauty of ANY rifle in straight wall pistol calibers is cheap and available brass, low cost per round, compatability with your handguns, and how fast you can crank out reloads on the DILLON (or other progressive press.)

I've got 30/30 and 45/70 MARLIN Cowboy rifles...love to shoot them....BUT the 44 and 357 Cowboy rifles get the range time because I've got DILLON 550B machines set up in those calibers. Lubing rifle cases is a PITA and volume reloading ain't gonna happen....you can speed it up with the DILLON, but it's still slow compared to pistol cartridges and carbide dies.

I prefer the 44, but there ain't no flies on the 357. You SHOULD remember what the late Skeeter Skelton said about 357 versus 44..."It's a case of a good big man beatin' the snot out of a good little man."

Boolit Master

I picked up a Rossi 1892 stainless, 357 magnum, about 15 years ago. Worked up a load with a 162 gr RCBS GC in front of 14 gr. 2400 that runs close to 1700. Shoots like a dream, had to figure out the sights. Will be a real hog buster.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    What is there to think aout, they are a grat addition to any gun owners collection.

My Marlin took a bit of time to find a good load for but now that I have it figured outhit is a fun gun to shoot. It may be going deer hunting this fall.

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    The 357 levers are simply the most fun imaginable. They really are. light handy economical. hunting with them for deer.... I would try to limit them to 75 yrds but that is just my bias it is not built on experience. two friends of mine have about 5 deer shot between them with very good sucess with 158 sp.

for small game they are simply grand. but they really shine when it is just time for a walk in the woods with rifle in hand .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123