MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: die set for mosin nagant

Boolit Master

die set for mosin nagant

I'm tempted to buy the lee set. Willing to hear from those that have used other die sets.
    I will be loading cast and xxx.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS set comes with two expanding plugs, one for use with .308 dia bullets if you happen to have something like a Finn with a .309-.310 bore, and a larger plug for seating .311-.312 bullets. At least it did when I bought mine, so check with the seller before counting on it. Of course I suppose you can buy the extra expanding plug from any die maker if you wish.

Lyman makes an M-die for the larger diameter "fat .30" cartridges like .303 Brit and 7.62x54R.

Boolit Bub

lee 54r dies

I bought new lee dies for my 7.62x54r,they worked good but only include the .308 expander.and mine needs the larger one,however lee offers a part # for the larger expander.I dont no what the other die companies offer with there sets.I reloaded some with the saller expander and you can see it on the neckof the case after seating the bullit.
    _ROGER THAT_

Boolit Master
    I bought the RCBS set for the reason mentioned above, plus they are a regular catalog item, unlike the Lee set. I need to buy an 'M' die to round out the set.

I am actually strongly considering having Lee make me a custom collet die for the 54R, so I can neck size. I have a few hundred rounds of brass-cased milsurp, and I recently found a source of affordable Berdan primers. Time to order a case and then neck size that brass.

ETA: I just discovered last night that RCBS offers a neck sizer for this cartridge; I wasn't aware of that before.
    Last edited by nicholst55; 08-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I'm finding I will end up with a mixed bag. I'm surprised lee doesn't make a complete set...no neck colet die set from lee for 54r.
    Looks like rcbs. I need a fl die also as my brass will be range Pi k up and new brass.

Super Moderator

+1 on the RCBS die set with both buttons. I use the .311 one. I flare with a Dillon expander made for 30 Carbine, using a small mallet. What mold are you casting for? Be sure to slug the bore as Mosin Nagants run a full gamut of bore diameters. I cast at .312 for mine with no leading and very good accuracy. Once you fire the brass once, adjust to neck size only (if used in the same rifle), and your brass will last a very, very long time.

Shooter

Boolit Man
    i've used lee's die set as is for two m-44's , one 91/30 and a finn m39 for over 10 years for both cast and j-bullets (dia. .311). offhand accuracy is consistently "minute of milk jug" at 100 yds.
    budman

ignorance is fixable...

Boolit Master
    ShooterAZ My MN slugged out at .313 I am going to start with ranchdog mold 311 165. mainly for my o3a3 I hope the drop a little on the large size for now. In time I will get the lyman 314??? mold. I plan on loading so fmj hornady 3131s at .312 dia.

I just spent many hours cleaning the bore of my mosin.....I thought it was pretty clean before, I did the diy electronic bore cleaner......nasty nasty nasty.

Boolit Master
    Look into Hornady's Custom Grade New Dimension die sets. The seater die uses a sliding sleeve that keeps the case and boolit/bullet in perfect alignment, like Vickerman and Lyman Precision Alignment dies.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee set (I actually have 2 sets) works for me for FL sizing and seating. I shortened a Redding .284W Bushing die and use an appropriate bushing the neck size so there is .002 - .003 neck tension. Doesn't over work the cases and they last for practically ever. With the appropriate bushings I neck size for bullets, both cast and jacketed, sized .308, .310, .311, .312, .314 and .316.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I have a Lee die set in 7.62X54R that I have been using with very good success. I wish they made their Collet die in this caliber but they don't so I just back of the fl die and so far it works well. I also have their crimp die and it works very well.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee set for most of my Mosins, and have both the .308" and .311" expanders. I FL size a lot since I don't know which rifle I want to use it in. I also use a .308 Lee collet die with a washer as a spacer on the holder to neck size only for my M28-76, but it only works well for rifles with .308 bores. One of these I guess I will break down and order a custom collet die instead of using spacers.
    Last edited by texassako; 08-20-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=texassako;1817816 I also use a .308 Lee collet die with a washer as a spacer on the holder to neck size only for my M28-76, but it only works well for rifles with .308 bores.[/QUOTE]

Continue using the .308 Lee collet die and large washer but get yourself the .303 Brit collet inserts. Both the .308 and .303 Brit use the same Lee die body. I do exactly that in reloading 7.62X54R for my M39 with a .3095 bore and a 91/30 with a .314 bore.

Good luck,
    Charlie

Boolit Master
    I ended up paying to get the additional sizing ball in .311. But to be honest, I don't like using my Lee 7.62x54r dies once I got the lee hand loader for that round. The hand loader is a pleasure to use for a Mosin. The sizing rod that comes with that set is .311.
    xacex

Boolit Buddy
    Bought a extra 8mm dcapping rod and sanded it down to .312 to expand my 7.62x54R that I use .314 Boolits in.
    Dan

Boolit Master
    I bought the RCBS set for reasons previously mentioned. I must say I'm disappointed. It's my least favorite die set. Should have bought a Lee set.

If you want a neck only sizer, the 308 Win Lee collet sizer works well with a washer or two on top of the shellholder.

Boolit Master
    I ended up with the lee with 303 expanber. I have noticed the boolit seater does not fit the profile of the Lyman 314299 bullet well and leaves a ring around the nose......
    cant wait to blast these things

Boolit Master
    I've used the Lee neck expander with one turned upside down using the flat side as a boolit seater with good results.

I had a lee set and ended up getting an RCBS set....I just could not get the lee set to work. I would suggest which ever set that you have a lot of dies in.

Boolit Master

I use Lee dies and the Lyman M die in .31 for 7.62x54R for both Russian and Finn rifles.

Dutch