MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beeswax toilet rings?

Boolit Mold

beeswax toilet rings?

A friend told me that the wax rings that you get when you replace a toilet are made out of beeswax and is a cheap alternative to what it costs to buy elsewhere. Anybody else ever heard of this?

Boolit Master

No, but I will be at the depot today to check it out.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    No, but I will be at the depot today to check it out.
    Waiting patiently on your report.

Boolit Master

Really got stomped on bad, on another site years ago for the mention of the same thing. Never went back in fact but have tried to keep my big mouth shut since and learn a bit.
    Evidently some of these rings are indeed made from bees wax and are a good source of material but I wondered about the other ones . Not sure exactly what they were made from but did mix up a couple batches of lube and we used them successfully mostly on larger bore pistol bullets. 44, 45 and such. No more problems than normal were observed. The lubes did what we wanted. At the time there were at least 5 of us playing with the same batches and comparing notes and we were getting the same results.
    Think the biggest thing I learned out of the whole deal was to not make a fool of ones self and declare the world was flat. Rather than listen to some of the self appointed "experts". Go ahead and try your idea. Approach it carefully, and learn from it. If it doesn't work try to find out why. Sometimes a simple tweak will do the trick on on the occasion, it simply will not work but at least you will know why.
    Another perfect case in point is the use of .22 rim fire cases to make jacketed bullets. I can actually show you in print where the experts say a brass case will gall in the bore and accuracy won't be there. I heard it for years and even said it my self but on the side I kept hearing where others were saying it worked and worked well.
    I finally made up a small press and started making a few. Darned if the didn't work perfectly in smaller cases such as the Hornet and the Bee and have yet to really check them out in the likes of the 22-250. Fact remains--- yes, they work.
    Go ahead and mix up a batch using that wax ring. Play with variations. Let us know what you find. Thats what this forum is all about.

Facta non verba

Banned

I do not think there is any beeswax in them anymore. All mineral stuff.
    Beeswax can be found right here on this site. A few have it and I got some great wax at a decent price. It will be seasonal of course but you can't beat it.
    We went to a honey company that used to sell it in a little room but now they do not sell at the door. They still sold us a few huge chunks of wax that was cheap.
    Wax is sold at BPCR shoots too, super yellow, clean stuff. Go to the BPCR site and ask.

Banned

Jim, (other Jim, Jim!) our pipefitter explained this some time back. The toilet rings used to be made out of beeswax or a beeswax blend something like 50-60 years ago, but have been made from cheap petroleum slack wax ever since. They have some limited use in lube, but not as a base. They will not substitute for beeswax, although will work as a slightly thicker vaseline component.

Gear

slicker and stikkier component at that lolz ( that stuff is tenacious ) many things will work for lube ..at least until one starts getting into the higher velocities/pressures , that's when you find out what worked for say 45 acp and 38 special no longer quite works as well , one problem with them is that they make them out of the cheapest stuff they can ( pretty sure beeswax aint that cheap lolz ) worse they can vary their components as needed ( or as the price of their markets fluctuate ) which roughly translated means that today's bowl ring may be a totally different critter next time they whip out a few tons of the materials needed so duplication for us may be beyond iffy ( unless you happen to buy a lifetime supply now that is )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

+1 Fryboy. Toilet rings are probably one of the most "variable" industrial waxes money can buy, the only standard they have to meet is a very basic viscosity rating, and that's determined by the manufacturer. They use the cheapest waste wax junk they can get that will do the job.

Gear

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by aarolar View Post
    Waiting patiently on your report.
    Sorry, these guys talked me outa wasting a trip.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

umm they do work as stated , within limitations of course , i did buy 5-6 at one time because i do use them for at least one lube , of course i improve the lube somewhat but ... for what i use that lube for ( and what my buddy uses it for ) it works , the lube i make is a improved version of dick dastardly's pearl lube i call pearl lube plus , mainly for black powder ( and my .54 cal. boolits has these huge lube grooves that just eats up lots of lube , so much in fact that i call them mere lube grooves :P ) my buddy uses it for black as well as cowboy type loads for his 44-40 , both low demand applications , when the small stock pile i have is gone i'm not sure if i'll rework that lube or try a different one ...the mad scientist seems to call many of us in this regard lolz but i currently have enough for around 5 years so ... i'll worry about it then , they are sorta fun to play with ( if you dont mind the tenacious part that is lolz ) the pearl lube recipe is in the recipe section if ya'll wanna try it , i did , i wont say i'm super impressed but within it's limitations it serves a need ( and it's fairly cheap ) early on i did try making a batch with a off brand ring , that attempt ended up as flux ( where it worked wonderfully i hasten to add ) it was way too slick for a lube and the only variable ? was that off brand ring , if you do use it use it like gear suggested as a alternative for vaseline or to soften a too hard of lube and add a lil something else to the mix for real lube if using it for a base
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

Toilet wax rings are a paraffin type wax now listed as Microcrystalline wax.
    Here is an MSDS sheet on one brand...http://www.laco.com/pdfs/MSDS/wax_bowl_rings.pdf

I have had good luck using it for BPCR lube in my trapdoor loads.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

I still have a bunch of 50/50, beeswax/Crisco lube that I made up a few years back for a 45/70 that I was playing with when I was loading Pyrodex. If you'd pay for shipping I'd send you some if you need it. It's just sitting in my garage so I don't need it, if you can use it shoot me a PM and let me know. Talk to ya' later.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Jim, (other Jim, Jim!) our pipefitter explained this some time back.

Yep. That was my first thought.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looooong sigh.

Boolit Master

smells funny to me

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Jim, (other Jim, Jim!) our pipefitter explained this some time back. The toilet rings used to be made out of beeswax or a beeswax blend something like 50-60 years ago, but have been made from cheap petroleum slack wax ever since. They have some limited use in lube, but not as a base. They will not substitute for beeswax, although will work as a slightly thicker vaseline component.

Gear
    Same information from my father, who was a plumber for 45 years. Beeswax used to be cheap. No longer, so other cheap stuff has been substituted.

Boolit Master

A friend of mine is a retired plumber. He says that the toilet rings haven't been beeswax since he was a rookie. I asked an expert before I bought a bunch of them. First time that's happened.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    There are several people who continue to post bad information on several forums about the use of tolit rings.
    They are not made from BEESWAX and have not been for several years. They have certain lube receipes that call for them that are out of date but still in print. They also have people who use them and then talk good about the results. That is because they shoot the bullets at very slow speeds and never subject it to HV loads.
    Real BW may be purchased from members of this site and it is of very high quality.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Man
    I buy the cheap rings from Lowe's and use them for fluxing for which they do an excellent job, but was never inclined to use 'em for boolit lube.
    Max

Whenever asked I used to tell folks that casting boolits wasn't rocket science... I have since been proven wrong.

Boolit Master
    toliet rings make a crappy lube and the used ones stinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast