Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why .357 in Handi Rifle???

Why .357 in Handi Rifle???

I have noticed that .357 is an overwhelmingly popular caliber for the Handi Rifle. Why is this so?

Branden

Boolit Buddy
    I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I don't even like Handi-Rifles and I want one in .357. I'll introduce it to Mr. Reamer and have a little .357 max carbine. That would give me a cheap-shooting plinker that I can also use full-power loads to hunt deer with.

Loaded ammo for .357 is relatively plentiful.

A .357 rifle lets you carry one kind of ammo for both yer rifle and yer handgun, and have a very effective firearm either way.

It's a very easy cartridge to reload.

It can easily be loaded mild enough for small game, or hot enough to take deer at up to 100 yards or so.

The .357 is very boolit friendly, so much so that j-warts are hardly ever necessary.

That do ya?
    Cognitive Dissident

Generally it's a very accurate caliber too. It can be loaded from small game to medium game and even large game with the right bullets. Does well with cast. What's not to like. My little 16.25" will do 1/2" groups at 50 yards with plinker loads and can reach to 100 at just over MOA 1.38" group using Hornady 180gr. XTP's over a book minimum load of H110. Compact and easy to carry too.

Also, kick is nearly non existent.

It can take your thumper handgun loads with ease. It can deal with abnormally long cartridge loadings (add at least .02" to your handgun loads and it probably still falls easily into the chamber). Allows for a lot of experimentation.

Get one!

These are my Handi's. I have a 357 in the survivor model with an old 6X Valor scope on it . The one with the laminated stock is a 45-70 that has a 2-7X scope on it now. The 30-30 is another popular cartridge for Handi's, but I have that covered in a contender carbine.

My 357 gets shot more than any gun I own except maybe my Single Six Ruger. Since I cast my own and I've got about 300 pounds of WW and ingots on hand right now that I got free, all I have invested is for primers and powder. So far it has not been fussy about what I shove down the pipe. It's about as cheap to shoot as a 22 and maybe cheaper as I haven't done the math. It's a lot more fun than a 22 too.

I'm just now learning all the things you can do with the 45-70. Collar button bullets, round ball loads, cat sneeze loads shot shell loads and clear on up to 500 grain buffalo stompers.

Go over to Graybeards and hang out with the Handiholics for a bit for the full story. Dale

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCaveman View Post
    Also, kick is nearly non existent.

It can take your thumper handgun loads with ease. It can deal with abnormally long cartridge loadings (add at least .02" to your handgun loads and it probably still falls easily into the chamber). Allows for a lot of experimentation.

Get one!
    It also adjusts to spitzer bullets well and when using them COL can be increased a lot more than .02 inch.

Boolit Master
    357 loaded with a full Ruger load of H110/2400/AA#9 can be uncomfortable in a revolver, but in the Handi is mild and it goes faster and farther. What is not to like, then a 44 mag and a Ruger make a great combo and you only have to have one action for the carbine.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Great in a handirifle for a small framed person to hunt deer with.

Boolit Master

.357Mag carbine

WT -

What THEY said.

My experience....
    I had an SB2 Ultra in .357Max that I just could not get to shoot.

Cast, J-word, plated, 1/2 jacket.....no joy !?!! I admit to having wanted to shoot the thang for "score" shoots @ 100, and not so much for use on live game. So, take for what it's worth.

Enjoyed my 1894 SC .357Mag carbine, more.

Custom bench rest-grade rifle in .357AutoMag produced the type of accuracy
    I was hoping for, but was not legal for use in " factory class ".

Have progressed to use of a M-336 XLR in .35Rem for .35 cal accuracy shooting
    from the bench, and... it is legal for factory class.
    Reduced loads ( mostly J-word for now ) are shooting superbly. Swaged 195gr
    .357" cal SPBT's have shown promise @ 100. More range time needed.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master

Simple, lightweight, accurate shooting a readily available round and soft on the pocketbook ta boot!

Load mild to wild and get significant increase in performance inthe Handi

Oh and it can become even better with judicious hand reaming to 357 MAX.

What's not to love here?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Moderator Emeritus

To make a 357 max of course.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I saw today that Cabelas has .357 Maxium brass in stock!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Bub
    Back when my Daddy was living and smithing he converted several Savage 24's in 357mag/20ga to 357 MAX. He did one for a neighbor who took it back to his old homeplace in East Texas for a deer hunt with his family and friends, and when he came back out to West Texas he brought four more guns for Daddy to rechamber.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had mine (30-30, 357, .410) longer than any other firearm I own. I like to trade guns often, but I never could bring myself to trade the Handi off.
    Mine is the older style with the click adjustable sights and EJECTOR!. I say EJECTOR! because if you forget, you are going to get your head stamped with a head stamp.
    I love it though. Please ignore the copper colored cylinders protruding from my brass. They are for entertainment purposes only.

After all of the comments, I took a look at the H&R website. It appears as though they only make a synthetic stocked 357, am I missing something? Is my only choice for a wood stocked 357 to find a used one? Are there any good replacements stocks that I could swap out economically?

Thanks,
    Branden

Boolit Buddy
    You could buy a .45 Colt classic carbine, sell the barrel and/or action if you don't want them, and end up with some nice wood for under a hundred.

Actually, at Graybeard's there's a Handi Classifieds section that sells wood laminated stocks etc. often. Also, there are a couple sites that sell the including Gunstocks INC. and Boyds. The woods from the classics are sold on GBO's also occasionally.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/STER-N...-p/640-203.htm
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/NEF-OR...-p/402-505.htm

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,142.0.html

Banned

Weird, they have walnut stocks, but no forends? Maybe they are discontinuing the walnut and ran out?

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/NEF-or...ocks-s/204.htm

Boolit Buddy
    If you've never used a thumbhole stock on an exposed hammer rifle like the Handi, you might want to try one before you buy. I don't like having to move my thumb all the way around the back of the grip to get to the hammer. Standard stocks handle much better for me on Handis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast