Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pit falls of sitting down to cast

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, LWKnight got it right! Now ain't that poetical!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

a misplaced sprue in your shoe hurts
    Yup. Long sleeves covered by glove sleeve - don't want that bugger rolling down the sleeve. Use a light weight stool or chair - so you can move fast. And use cotton, not poly protection.

I have always cast seated.

Boolit Master
    OK, I'm a lot like some of the other older casters here. Legs, joints, back and feet are giving us all sorts of problems. My new casting table is going to be a coffee table made from wood suitably modified so I can see the open top of the pot. I'll most likely get a used one made from real wood so that the legs can be lengthened to suit me. Next will most likely be some sort of stool that is adjustable for height and will have a back on it. The table probably won't be pretty but sometimes creature comforts take first place. And a fan to keep me somewhat cool. Frank

In Remebrance

I'm a standing caster. In fact i do all most all my stuff standing- gun work, repairs to machinery, etc. To me it's a lot easier to raise up what I want to work on than to have to invent a way to do things sitting. It's awkward. Plus the constant up and down would drive my knees wild. I would find a stool that worked and use it. All you need is something to rest your legs, even partially, for my kind of pain.

And I have to say, while I'm no big safety nazi, casting while sitting brings to me pictures of all sorts of unpleasant accidents.

Boolit Grand Master
    I cast with a ladle. My bench is just high enough to get my knees under seated on a comfortable chair. I'm not a production caster, so when I get tired or tired of it, I stop. I have developed a technique whereby the sprues go in the pot when I cut them. I wear bib overalls with the legs down and over 'pull on' boots. The bibs and boots stay in the casting shack. I leave the cell phone in the house and there is no radio to distract me. There is a 5 lb. ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher hanging on the wall by the door and a 10 man first aid kit on the shelf.

When I was coming up in industrial construction, an old man told me "Plan your work and work your plan." All that I wrote in the first paragraph is the plan I have put in place from learned experiences, one at a time.

Boolit Master

I use a old 3 burner stove that they used back in the day.
    It's about 2 feet high and I use a cast iron pot that holds
    at least 100# of molten lead. I can use a swivel office chair
    on wheels and is very comfortable. I ladle pour, and both
    my knees are also shot.
    Denny

Boolit Master

When I cast with a bottom pour pot (which is most of the time), and I do it sitting down. When I use a ladle I cast standing up. Both of these just seem natural, with a bottom pour the spout is in a fixed location, so you have to bring the mould to it, which means you need to be able to see the spout, and it's just easier (for me) to do this sitting down. Using a ladle on the other hand, while to pot isn't moving, where the mould is, and where the ladle is can change from pour to pour, so it's easier to do while standing up.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    I have a tall stool, I usually am about half standing, half sitting, staying well away from my bottom pour pot. The stool just takes most of the weight off my feet and still keeps me fairly high in relation to the pot. I can't move fast enough when I sit, and I get really tired of casting if I stand. And don't wear old jeans with holes in the knees, trust me, that can create bad memories.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never have cast sitting but have recently adopted a new setup on my bench which may help. My own concern would be something hot landing in my lap and maybe this measure could help mitigate the potential for an unintended cauterization.

I use a LEE drip pot. My wife recently ditched a rectangular cake pan that didn't live up to the implied benefits of its high-tech coating. I set it long-ways where my pot goes and set my drip pot inside at one end so I could knock the sprues into the empty half of the pan. It makes it easy to scoop them up and it keeps the occasional errant hot sprue from skittering off under or behind something.

The other advantage I found is that it offers more spill containment than my pot could possibly overflow and the high sides of the cake pan (versus a cookie sheet)deflect most of the splatter as the drip, drip, drip builds an alloy stalagmite.

I have found that once in a great while, I will snag the drip handle with my sprue plate knocker or fluxing spoon or whatever, and when it bounces, it releases sputtering gushes until the handle is back under control or runs out of energy.

These too are contained, as it happened once already since I started using the cake pan. As I reorganize the casting bench, I need to address that bouncing handle issue anyway, but at least the pan was there and no molten lead spilled or splattered outside of the pan.

My bench top is an old "fire door" with a steel skin so the heat of the sprues piled up won't start someting smoldering under the pan either.

Reviving thread as I have a setup I feel might be useful to OP.

I'll set it up so I kind of make a rotation- I'll sit off-square (at an angle...maybe like 30 degrees off) from the melting pot so I have to reach in front of my left knee to pour... Then I have the pot where I drop my sprues on the floor directly in front in between my knees, then my drop bucket in front of my right knee... I like to have a swivel chair... I reach to my left,pour, bring to center,whack sprue, reach to the right, drop in bucket...all in a kind of circular motion so there's no wasted movement....The swivel chair makes it so you're not twisting your body as you reach, your feet kind of "roll" at the ankles. If that makes sense. I try to have them as close to eachother as comfort allows- extra movement done a couple thousand times is undesirable.
    Last edited by jabilli; 04-14-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use an old TV stand holds the pot which is securely clamped to it. The space around the pot is ideal for the sprue and drop box.
    For protection: Hat, glasses, welder gloves, leather shoes and a farrier apron I found on line. It covers me me from shoulder level to my ankles and is made of leather. Very comfortable to use for 3-4 hr sessions. I put a personnal fan from W_mart clamped to keep air moving past the pot.
    I have everything I need in arms length. Get rid of the fam, crank the tunes and get casting.
    When done, proper refreshments.
    Enjoy
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    Make sure you have something to rest your elbows on, and a safe place to put a hot mold if you have to move quickly. Put a leather cover over your lap. A chair with wheels will let you kick out in a hurry if need be.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    My table is a table saw with extensions. My seat is an armless bar stool. I can push away and turn away, pouring stage not too far below eye level. I prefer standing, but my legs beg me to sit.

prs

Boolit Man
    I cast sitting down. I use a bar stool so I can jump back fairly quickly if need be. I also wear a leather welding apron to deflect hot sprues.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast sitting on a standard folding chair. I have two folding stools, one for supporting the bottom pour pot and the second stool supports a cake pan with a folded towel in the bottom of the pan. The pot sits on top of a concrete block (pumic type) which puts the spout roughly at eye level. The open "holes" in the pumic block store various implements like spoons, knives, etc. I face the pot with it located just slightly offset to my right. The second stool is even with the first and a little more offset to my left. I am slightly bent over with my forearms on my knees. I use a support for the moulds under the spout that takes the weight of the mould + handles + lead when I pour. The support also ensures that I get the same lead flow (distance below the spout) and pressure when filling the mould. I believe this greatly helps uniformity in the pours and more consistent boolits. I usually use two double cavity steel moulds. Two "identical" double cavity moulds weigh much less than 1 four (or more) cavity moulds. That helps me with fatigue when casting. I fill one mould, set it on the base plate, then fill the second mould. By this time the sprue has hardened on the first mould and I cut the sprue using a leather mallet, dump the boolits and sprue on the towel in the cake pan, and refill the mould. I then repeat the sprue cut, dump, etc.with the second mould and repeat the process. This keeps the moulds hot without over heating and boolit productio very high. About every 8 casts I scoop up the reject boolits and sprues and put them back in the pot. I generally use a Lyman 20 # pot with the heat full on. When I've cast about 200 boolits or so about 6 pounds has been used out of the pot at which time I replenish the pot. I keep ingots of WW and pieces of 95-5 solder handy so I can maintain nearly identical alloy in the pot as I continue to cast. While the pot melts the ingots I generally busy myself with cleanup, etc. Generally I'll cast roughly 400 to 500 boolits per casting session.

I won't sit, to easy for something hot & bad to go wrong under a bottom pour pot.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I use a standard height table, and set my bottom pour pot at a comfortable angle, so that 1: I can see the spout for all 6 cavities. Then I slide the mold out from under the pot and watch till it 'dimples', 2: then I cut the sprue, 3: and open the mold and drop the boolits on a towel. The pot is a little left, then the area where I cut and pile the sprues, is at the center, and the 'dropping' towel is a little to the right. I sit comfortably and can reach everything without stretching, so for a full pot (20 lb). Then I put my mold on the hotplate, just left of the pot, get up, feed the pot, and walk a little usually to get more iced tea, or pee and to loosen up, and then when the pot comes back to temp, sit back down and resume activities. The whole session is relaxing and mostly painless.

On Heaven's Range

Do a search for "lead tsunami".... there was lots of similar discussion on that thread.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master
    We do a great disservice to new casters by not stressing PPE. This is especially true for younger casters who have not been in the work force and had safety drummed into them. I also worry about those who scrimp on everything because funds are tight and they try to do this on the cheap.

There are only two types of casters. Those you have had an accident and those who will have an accident. It is only a matter of time. PPE provides a bit of a safety net when things do bad. It does not provide a "free pass" to do stupid things.