Thread: 1911 255 gr load

Boolit Mold

1911 255 gr load

Just got my 255 gr 45 load down.

Springfield loaded
    255gr lee 452-255 (sized to .452)
    4.5 grs Unique
    Oal 1.137"

Its a tad short in order to function. Shoot very accurately, from sandbags I got 1." groups at 25yds.
    No leading, one flyer, recoil was on par with, if not less than standard 230gr factory fodder. Over all, it seems to be a success, no velocity data yet

Last edited by prangr51; 08-15-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Glad to hear it. I've wanted to develop a load for my 1911s, too. Could you post a pic of the loaded round? Any idea of the velocity?

Thanks
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Mold
    Best guess at velocity is about 750-775 range, ill post up a pic tomorrow morning

Boolit Master

How is recoil did you change to a heavier spring? I was just wondering as I have a Lee mold for my 45 Colt which is the 252 grain Semi Wad Cutter. I been wondering about loading that and trying it in my RIA Tactical.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Are you loading short because of the throat(or lack thereof)? Possibly in a Springfield 1911?

I had to load mine short as well. Mine ran the Lee a taste over 800fps with 5.5gr of Unique.

Boolit Mold

A bit of case bulge from being seated deep, but it didnt effect function and the brass looked fine afterwards.

How is recoil did you change to a heavier spring?
    I changed out to a 18.5# spring and the recoil felt on par with 230grs factory fodder

Are you loading short because of the throat(or lack thereof)
    Yes, the leade on the Springfield is virtually non-existent. And I think I took some guidance from an older thread of yours tek when i was loading these.

I could probably up the charge another 0.2 grs. I started with some loaded to 4.2 grs instead of 4.5 just to be safe, and they would not cycle the slide with the 18.5# spring.

Boolit Buddy
    Impressive, 1" groups. However, just a word of caution, pressures can really spike when loading heavy boolits in short cartridges such as the .45 ACP. I bulged a barrel in a BHP several years ago, with only something like 2.5 grains of powder behind a 158 grain RNFP. Wouldn't have know it by the report or recoil. both were very mild, however the primers showed excessive pressure. I should have stopped at the very first sign, but you know how stupid is as stupid does. It bulged right where the recoil lug is cut.

anyway, good luck

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the advice. So far none of the brass shows signs of over pressure