MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: What do I have?

Boolit Buddy

What do I have?

This morning I was in a gunstore and purchased a Moisin-Nagant 91/30 with Tula arsenal markings of 1938 on top and an SA on the side of the barrel. I always thought the SA meant it was in Finnish service. Is it one that the Finns checked and approved? I can't imagine anyone faking one for the price I paid($110). Purchased some Winchester brass case ammo so as to have reloadable cases and plan to shoot it with cast bullets.

Small, and I think inconsequential, crack in stock-but otherwise looks in really good condition. Probably take it out and try it with the jacketed bullets tomorrow.

Hope I'm not making myself out to be a d---a---!

Boolit Master

What you've got is, quite likely, a 'Winter War' capture (by the Finns). I've got a '39 Tula - all matching #s and marks - that carries both the Finn 'SA' inspection stamp and the boxed 'D' indicating that the chamber throat has been relieved to accept Finnish ammo. Considering that the Russians weren't selling any new rifles to the Finns during those years, any that were acquired, inspected, and 'SA' marked during that time pretty much had to be 'captures'...surrenders or battlefield pick-ups.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

SA is not an inspection mark it means Suomen Armeija = Finn Army. It's a property stamp.

The least of the Finn Mosin-Nagants were straight Russian battlefield pickups with nothing more than SA Finn army property stamp. From there they added a dovetailed block under the front sight blade to lower point-of-impact, loosened barrel bands and used nails or tiny screws to keep bands in place, replaced stocks and barrels and rebuilt entirely new rifles from Russian parts. The Finn Mosin-Nagants are the most interesting Mosin-Nagants to study, IMO. I have several including a m/1891 Finn B-barrel, Finn 91/30 as-new, captured Russian 91/30 SA marked, Finn m/39. I swore I wasn't going to collect Mosin-Nagant rifles but...... .

Dutch

Yep, like the others said, a Finn capture. I think these are such nifty rifles, as you can put them exactly in a place-the Winter War, or Continuation War, between Finland and the Soviet Union.
    Your rifle is a great piece of history.
    How about some pics??

Boolit Master

I collect the Finn Capture/ Finn rework rifles. They have better triggers usually and are a prized Mosin In my Opinion.
    Good score for 110.00 !

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Buddy

I figured a Finn capture and from the 1938 date had a good idea when but just wondering if they checked them to see if they were the equivalent of the ones they rebuilt or were in a hurry at the time and "just signed them up". I appreciate the answers and the rapidity thereof.
    I may be too old to do pictures and it is nothing different from many of the moisins I've seen except it has what looks like polished steel retainer bands on both end of the top hand guard.
    Should anyone point me at a "class" on how to put pictures up and I'll try to do it.

Boolit Master

I have a Westinghouse Finn capture. It shoots well. It was given to me.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.