Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt 200 SWC

45 Colt 200 SWC

I did a search for load info but couldn't find what I was looking for, I would like a easy shootin load for a 200 SWC (68 clone, MIHA) from a Ruger Blackhawk 5.5'. Something that shoots well and you could shoot all day is the goal.

Thanks, Longone

Boolit Master

Try 6.5 grains of Red Dot. I shoot it under a 454 roundball for a load that kicks like a 38 wadcutter. I shoot it under a 250 grain swc for a factory equivalent load, and under a 320 grain rnfp "Hammer", for a load that will penetrate like crazy without whalloping your hands.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

With all the references to Red Dot I guess I need to pick up a pound and give it a try. Been using Unique with a RCBS 255 and although it shoots well @ 850-875 fps it can be a bit much all day.

Thanks, Longone

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longone View Post
    I did a search for load info but couldn't find what I was looking for, I would like a easy shootin load for a 200 SWC (68 clone, MIHA) from a Ruger Blackhawk 5.5'. Something that shoots well and you could shoot all day is the goal.

Thanks, Longone
    I've never found a satisfactory load/bullet that light for my Ruger .45 Colt... The case has a high powder capacity and a light bullet even with a fast powder just doesn't do well in this caliber. As I have a .45 ACP cylinder for the Ruger...that caliber does fine with lighter bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I've never found a satisfactory load/bullet that light for my Ruger .45 Colt... The case has a high powder capacity and a light bullet even with a fast powder just doesn't do well in this caliber. As I have a .45 ACP cylinder for the Ruger...that caliber does fine with lighter bullets.
    Have you measured the throats of the 45 colt cylinder? My blackhawk wouldn't shoot light loads worth a darn either, until I had the throats opened up. The harder I pushed it, the better it shot. I suspect there was some swaging going on and only the higher pressures would undo that.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

For a lighter kicking load of Red Dot drop back to 4.0 with that 200 SWC, it's my wifes CAS load, she shoots it off hand unsupported.

As has been said the cylinder throats need to be the proper dia. for the 45C to shoot low volicity loads with accuracy.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 6.5 gr Bullseye for all cast, including the SWCs, of 195 to 205 gr weight. They shoot really well in my Uberti SAAs, my '73 and '92 rives and my Contender barrel.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

7.3 grs of reddot under the 452460 boolit,is the most accurate load ive ever fired out of my bisley 45,,,,by far. Thats all i ever load in this gun anymore.

I use clays 200swc 5.4grs This load is mild and groups are very small. dan

Boolit Master
    I've dabbled with that bullet exactly one time in my Bisley (.45 Colt). I loaded a dozen.
    I put it over 5.0 grns. H-Clays. I've got 675-700fps wrote on the target. I'm sure that came off a chrony. I don't remember the exact alloy, but I'm thinking it was 50/50 WW/Shot and 2%tin.
    The target in my notebook has one ragged hole made by 6 rounds at 25 yards. That is a sample of one, the next may not group in a basketball. I've been meaning to dabble with that load a little more, just haven't had time.
    I did shoot several inches lower than a 270-SAA at 1000-1200fps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    Have you measured the throats of the 45 colt cylinder? My blackhawk wouldn't shoot light loads worth a darn either, until I had the throats opened up. The harder I pushed it, the better it shot. I suspect there was some swaging going on and only the higher pressures would undo that.
    Throats are at .451" --the barrel at .4505" I hate to mess around with this as it shoots so well with bigger bullets. For lighter bullets I use the .45 ACP cylinder.

Boolit Master

I just ran 50 through my BH last week. A 200 gr Lee RNFP with 10 grs of AA#5. Grouped well and easy recoil.

Boolit Master
    My Ruger 45 Colt with 4 5/8 barrel shoots Bullseye really well. Either 7.0 or 7.5 grains with the RCBS 45-200-SWC. Around one inch groups from a rest at 25 yards.

I think I'll go shopping this weekend and pick up some Red Dot powder to try. Seems like there is a group of folks talking good about Red Dot in the 45 Colt even for the heavier boolits. I really love shooting that handgun just don't enough time to get to the range as often as I would like.

Thanks, Longone

Boolit Master
    Now this isn't a light load, and I dont know if it is even safe in anything but a Ruger, but I like 10.0 grs Unique pushing the 200gr SWC in my Rugers chambered in .45 Colt. It has always shot well for me and has taken deer and hogs (although I really prefer the 250+gr boolits for hunting). I have been getting away from these bullets in the Colt case, but still use lots of them in the .45 ACP, as it shoots great there too. I have not tried the Red Dot in the Colt case, but may have to after reading some of the above posts.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    I had a lot of velocity/pressure swings with a 200 LSWC and 5.0 Clays depending on powder position.
    I switched to Trail Boss and worked up from 6.0 to 7.0, all loads from 6.5 to 7.0 were consistent and accurate.

I load 6.4 grains of Trail Boss behind a 200 grain soft lead projectile (Cowboy #4 from Missouri Bullet 12 hardness....452)....I really like it...Have not shot a semi wad cutter with it but the RNFP really shoots well with it and I don't even feel the recoil....I shoot a couple of Ruger 45 Colts as well as a Pietta SAA clone....the Pietta really likes this load....super accurate and smells good too.

Boolit Master

I went shootiny yesterday with my Vaquero and H&R 1871 Classic Carbine in .45 Colt. I loaded up some Lee 450-200 RN HP boolits with aluminum plain base gas checks. 10 grains of Unique printed very low with the Vaquero and dead on with the carbine. Grous with both were nice and tight, one ragged hole. Recoil was nothing compared to other loads I had bbeen shooting. Velocity was zippy and just fun to shoot. Next loads will be a tad warmer

Boolit Bub
    Hey Hammerhead,where did you seat your 200 lswc's with trailboss,in the cannalure or over the front band? Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I used 5-5.5 grs 231 and had rather remarkable results more than a few years ago. I'd just bought the Ruger and didn't have any proper 45 Colt boolits. I didn't think the .452 bullet would be accurate in a 45 Colt but it did quite well and was very mild to shoot. I'd forgotten all about that load, may need to try it again. Thanks!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.