WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kinda factory.....kinda NOT factory round with cast HELP!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that all these cartridges will heave a bullet probably two plus miles, I cannot see the intelligence in the Indiana regulations.

What's the purpose? How are these "safer?" What's the point? It sounds like the ballistically ignorant are running the Indiana G&P. Either that, or they're lying to local officials to get the idea of "safer?" deer hunting rounds passed while hoping to give more range than a shotgun with Foster slugs.

So you can't have it both ways. Safety from rifle fire plunging out out the sky at extreme distances (which is overrated as a cause of innocent fatalities or injuries) or a more effective deer round? Which is it? Who's running the show here? The effectiveness of any possible solution is lost on me, I must confess. If long range random rifle fire is such a concern, either ban it entirely or let everything be allowed, as 2 miles really seems little different than 3 miles in terms of hazard.

Again, you can't have both. A short ranged shotgun slug isn't a long ranged bullet, and implying both can be had with the same cartridge (bullet fallout safety and increased range) is nonsensical.

IndySteve, this certainly wasn't directed at you. Just your odd regulations.

Boolit Man

Thumbs up I'm in total agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Given that all these cartridges will heave a bullet probably two plus miles, I cannot see the intelligence in the Indiana regulations.

What's the purpose? How are these "safer?" What's the point? It sounds like the ballistically ignorant are running the Indiana G&P. Either that, or they're lying to local officials to get the idea of "safer?" deer hunting rounds passed while hoping to give more range than a shotgun with Foster slugs.

So you can't have it both ways. Safety from rifle fire plunging out out the sky at extreme distances (which is overrated as a cause of innocent fatalities or injuries) or a more effective deer round? Which is it? Who's running the show here? The effectiveness of any possible solution is lost on me, I must confess. If long range random rifle fire is such a concern, either ban it entirely or let everything be allowed, as 2 miles really seems little different than 3 miles in terms of hazard.

Again, you can't have both. A short ranged shotgun slug isn't a long ranged bullet, and implying both can be had with the same cartridge (bullet fallout safety and increased range) is nonsensical.

IndySteve, this certainly wasn't directed at you. Just your odd regulations.
    Never fear, I am in total agreement as is just about every person I know that hunts.

They first were allowing "handgun rounds" in rifles. AKA ...straight wall cartridges of atleast .357 bore.

Then it went to a min of .357 bullets and no longer than 1.625 brass. The "straight wall" designation disappeared here........some say it never existed and Ive never ever actually noticed it ever being mentioned in printed regulations, but I dont remember regs verbatim from a few years back, but do know that rounds no longer have any restrictions on SHAPE, only bore and length.

I think that lasted two? years......to today's regs for 2012. 357 bullet or larger and a MAX length of 1.8 inches.

Mine is 1.795 trimmed to 1.790 and of course, .358 caliber.

Some feel that they are "feeling the waters" and heading towards all standard deer rounds but are doing so slowly so they dont "get burnt" by some organization or another? or something? Ive no real clue.

All you say is absolutely accurate and Id like to add one thing.

If you've ever hunted near some "hunters" with itchy trigger fingers shooting a semi auto slug gun..........you have a crystal clear perspective of what DANGEROUS is. Emptying their gun at running deer they give NO thought to where the slugs are going (in my case, accross the creek onto the property I hunt).

Ive dove for cover and had mud or pieces parts of a tree splatter near me more than once.

PERSONALLY, Id much rather see them with a bolt action 308 (if they had ANY brains) where they would be taking more care getting "the right shot" than trying to stop a deer from leaving where they hunt by "getting a slug into it" while at a dead run.

SUPPOSEDLY, the state was shooting for "rifle rounds similar in range to shotgun slugs".........in the case of wildcats or even the now legal 460 Smith and Wesson in a rifle.......they HAVE TO REALIZE that is not the case any longer.

Year to year, I just wait and see but, regardless if they go with the normal deer rounds or not in the future......this one will do it all for me at any range ID take a shot and also give me adequate range for most elk and muley hunting out west if I get a chance to go.

Are there some "better".???.....oh FOR SURE but ......this one will be "mine" and of my own tinkering.

Kind of like when I make my own wooden arrows for traditional bowhunting......its sometimes more about what one puts into something than "what shoots best".
    Deer never seemed to notice that my turkeyfeathered woodies and hand sharpened broadheads were "inferior" .

I suspect that , at least for me, using this round will produce something of distant cousin to the satisfaction I get from my archery equipment and am confident it will perform as well as the hunter using it ...actually probably much BETTER!!

But never fear.........you are certainly NOT alone in doing a lot of head scratching about Indiana regulations for rifles.

GodBless
    Steve
    Last edited by IndySteve; 08-27-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    Woo-Hoo!!

It seems a great solution to a scenario in Indiana where cartridge length is THE issue.
    I have shot a lot of the RCBS 35-200 over the past thirty-plus years in various rifles, with good results.

A 30 HBR necked up (1.8" 308 Win) to 35 would be a neat option. Since you have the 350 RM that was likely the best platform to work from. Reset the barrel about 3/4" and rechamber, then get shooting.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Boolit Man

For those kindly replying or interested.

Filled to the top with h2o.........58.7 grains.

That'll work.

Still waiting (blasted reamer anyway) but the RCBS 200 and .........here lately the Saeco 352 even sounds a little more in line (in my brain).

I did see someone had the 352 in a hollow point that "looks" like it would have a bit more BC?.......but really kind of a moot point for most hunting ranges here.

Thanks again for all the advise and suggestions, gang.

GodBless!!

Any updates on this? I want one !
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Any updates on this? I want one !
    Two rifles, 6 "brown and down" one shot, mostly DRT last year, 3 so far this year with a bit of bad news.

While we built two, one for me, one for buddy of mine, I had health issues and had to sell mine but Jim's is still in use between him, me and his son. Work? OH MY. Shoot mostly JB but have some gas check FP 250? grainers here I never got to (yet).

GUNSMILTH went under, trying to get him to answer me to get the reamer so I can build another later when I can.

It is, in all practicality a 358 Winchester....just in a belted round (but we cant use a 358 Win here in Indiana).

If I cant get the reamer Ill have to have another made later on.
    NO disappointments......none. Fair recoil, accurate, WHAMS a deer like no shotgun slug I've ever seen!!

VERY little interest (seems "belted" is a bad word for some. No biggie to me) so not posting much since the above.

God Bless

Boolit Man
    oh......if I didn't post it elsewhere? 2550 fps with a 225 grain Jacketed.......not max either. 8208 powder.

I WANT MY RIFLE BACK.........LOL!

God Bless

Boolit Man
    Up from the "basement", the ol' fart from Indiana is still alive..........kickin', but not very fast.

The 350JR (buddy's rifle still in use) is up to 16 whitetail, all one shot 13 DRT and 3 shuffled a ways before dropping. All fell in sight.

Onward and upward. Still not a cast man (lazy) but still in the game. Multiple physical obstacles yet to defeat but looks like I'll be able to hunt this fall again........so, hmmm.......another wildcat is on the thinking table.

Won't share on it till completed. A simple one like the 350JR (lazy, lol) but more just creating something that's "mine", not really meant to be an improvement on anything ......but betting it will, just a tad.

Gotta get back to posting when something I have is of interest. The powers that be won't let me post in Sell and Swap till active.

Excellent rule, though.

God Bless to all, and all those you love.
    Steve

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear of your health issues.Hope all goes well for recovery.Please post updates as you are able.Most interesting thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12