Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: 22 scope

Boolit Mold

22 scope

Just bought a Ruger 10/22. Looking for a scope. Was looking at one of the Sweet 22 scopes but the reviews have been mixed.

Any suggestions?

Uses:
    Plinking
    Target 25-100 yds
    (possible) hunting
    Just to have fun.

Thanks

Boolit Master

I bought a bushnell 22rimfire scope. Nice cheap scope. It even came with the rings.

Boolit Master

i picked up a used 2x7 Leupold for $125. i like it a lot
    it sits on my CZ452
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I just put a BSA 4-16x40mm Mildot on my .223 and absolutely love it. Shooting .31" c-c groups and zooms in and out without changing POI. Very clear. I'm now looking at BSA's 3-9x32 rimfire scope for my semi-auto and leaning towards another 4-16x40mm for my bolt action.

http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=35
    http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=57

This was my first group after zero from a kneeling rested position:

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite is the Leupold 4X RF Special.

Boolit Master
    I shot the Bushnell rimfire scope on my Henry for a long time and loved it, $30 with rings at Wal-mart. Swapped it onto my Win when i picked up a Barska 3-9x40 for $39 this spring, the extra mag is nice for long pokes on gophers but the Bushnell is way clearer, i can't belive this was meant for a centerfire hunting rifle!
    Little brother got a BSA Sweet 17 for his .17 and i have not been impressed, the target style elevation knob doesn't compensate properly and after some fiddling we found that the clicks are not repetable or accurate. As an optical device it is ok, but i wouldn't buy another.
    Done over i would buy another Bushnell 4x rimfire, or a cheap Bushnell 3-9 and get dovetail rings.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

Nikon is making a sweet rimfire scope with a bullet drop feature at a mid level price. i personaly use Leupolds on my 22s with a AO feature , but you can use any decent quality new or used 1 inch scope and send it back to the factory and have the parralex readjusted to 50 yards.

Boolit Master

I have a Sweet 22 and I like it. I take reviews with a grain of salt as any one can post anything does not mean they even own it. I have seen too many internet experts bash such guns as Henry that are good guns but if you listened to some of the internet clowns a few years ago no one would have one well folks did not listen to them and Henry is doing just fine.

Cowboy if it is not working right contact them and send it back they will replace it.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

I am planning to pick up one of the nikons and mount it on my Rem 37, kind of a mini-sniper.

Doug

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I'm with luckydawg13. The leupold 2-7X rimfire offers an awful lot of value for the $.

I have one on my 10/22, which is a hunting rifle through and through.

BTW the trigger on my 10/22 was atrocious. I replaced the whole unit, but the replacemnet kits do a very acceptable job.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    BTW the trigger on my 10/22 was atrocious. I replaced the whole unit, but the replacemnet kits do a very acceptable job.
    My 10/22 is still new in the box. From what you are saying, I should worry about the trigger first. Trigger doesn't break free and smooth, the scope right now is not going to matter.

Do any of you have one favorite scope that you use on multiple rifles? (Take off one to use on another.) Of course, point of aim/point of impact will change from rifle to rifle but buying one excellent scope rather than buying 15 less expensive scopes make more sense.

Just a thought ( I have to purchase a new scope for a Remington 700 SPS Tactical) because the other is slipping/drifting during/after shot. The dials actaully move after shot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crossdraw View Post
    My 10/22 is still new in the box. From what you are saying, I should worry about the trigger first. Trigger doesn't break free and smooth, the scope right now is not going to matter.

Do any of you have one favorite scope that you use on multiple rifles? (Take off one to use on another.) Of course, point of aim/point of impact will change from rifle to rifle but buying one excellent scope rather than buying 15 less expensive scopes make more sense.

Just a thought ( I have to purchase a new scope for a Remington 700 SPS Tactical) because the other is slipping/drifting during/after shot. The dials actaully move after shot.
    That sounds like more hassle than it is worth as for each rifle you would have to sight in again and again ect. I know a lot of folks say buy the best glass possible if you can afford it. I have used cheaper scopes on all sorts of rifles for years with the brands being Weaver and Bushnell and Tasco and Simmons with no issues I have a NC Star pistol scope on a 6.5 Swede set up as a scout rifle and have no issues with it at all. There are plenty decent scopes out there that work fine on a 22 or a center fire that does not have to break the bank. In fact I have only had one rifle scope fail in all my years of shooting and that was a Tasco that I bought last year and since it had a life time warranty they replaced it with an other scope.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Moderator Emeritus

One of the best kept secrets in high quality scopes are the Konus Pro. I have 4 of them so far.
    My savage MK II FV 22LR with a way too big for it Konus Pro M30 6.5-24x44.

Cabin fever struck early when I put this on 2 days ago. Weather permitting I'll be at the range tomorrow to see what it can do at 150 yards.

I bought this scope a couple years ago, it's been sitting around in the box for about a year. I finally decided to mount it again after the BSA Sweet 22 scope I had on this Savage decided to fog up.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

L Ross
    Very satisfied with a Cabela's Wind River 2x7 rimfire scope I picked up in their Bargain Cave.

Duke

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Have you tried dry firing your trigger? I would say yes. If your trigger is nearly as bad as mine was I believe it would behoove you to rectify the trigger first.
    The finest scope in the world won't improve groups if your trigger is like dragging firewood across a brick patio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Longwood

Not at my house.
    It depends on the gun.
    If the gun is not accurate,,, buy a cheap scope for it.
    If the gun IS accurate,,,, save up until you can get a really good scope.

Boolit Master
    The most important thing to remember here is the foundation. You can buy a $600, well reviewed scope and still suffer accuracy issues and loss of zero if you don't mount it on good, quality mounts. I'd recommend Burizz Zee rings. They serve me well. The other important thing to note is Weaver/Picattiny rails are superior to 3/8 rimfire mounts, so you might want to invest in a weaver base if you do not already have one. That said, I've shot both BSA and Barska .22 scopes, and both shot just fine. You don't have to spend too much on a 22 scope, IMO.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Mold

I use Warne or Leupold QD rings on all of my scopes and use Picatinny rails on my guns for that very reason.