RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Air Gun Pellets-pure lead??

Air Gun Pellets-pure lead??

I find some Air gun Pellets from air gun range...Seems like pure lead to me!
    Anyone have some experience with this? Maybe some kind of alloy ??

Boolit Master
    Tried to work out a deal whit a guy which had a supply of Lead BB's. Not sure if that is what you are talking about. these where used at an amusement parks BB gun game. They had to be lead to avoid ricochet. He bought them from them once they where shot and hit the steel backer plates.

They guy siad hard as or harder than COWW. Don't know we could not get together on price.

Boolit Master

Pellets are swaged which typically means pretty soft lead. I would bet they are nearly pure lead, but I can not back that up with any real proof.

I cast for AR and even though pellets are swagged they can vary just like bullets . Crosmans are around 8 bhn . Some are pure but more and more company's are alloying now . If for nothing else it keeps the damage in shipping down . PA sales air venture pellets and bullets ( there brand ) and the 45 caliber ones I tested were 8 bhn . I cast as I said for my BB rifles and use all the way up to 22 bhn is some of them . Marvin

Depends on the manufacturer. Some are relatively pure while other have the usual additives (Antimony, tin, etc.) in them. Most also have a dusting of graphite or oil to cut down on the lead dust.
    Beware that there are a number of non lead pellets coming in to the market. Unsure of the alloy on these. Since they are usually way lighter than lead pellets, I am pretty sure they are zinc or tin alloys.

Silver Eagle

Thank you for replay.
    Gonna try cast some bullets and compare bullet weights to bullets from pure lead i have...
    Hope that weight will not be same)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by turmech View Post
    Tried to work out a deal whit a guy which had a supply of Lead BB's. Not sure if that is what you are talking about. these where used at an amusement parks BB gun game. They had to be lead to avoid ricochet. He bought them from them once they where shot and hit the steel backer plates.

They guy siad hard as or harder than COWW. Don't know we could not get together on price.
    Some of the Carnival airguns use a .12 size bird shot.
    The old Daisy indoor gallery air pistols used a .118 lead shot. When redesigned in .177 the cylinder didn't push enough air to get a decent velocity with steel BBs.

Some Russian BBs are soft lead, intended for use in rifled repeating airguns.
    A Military training rifle that was patterned after the Mauser used lead round balls instead of pellets.

The .22 Pneumatic airgun conversion of the M16 for training purposes uses a .22 lead round ball, most auto loading airguns use either .177 BBs or .22 round ball, if rifled the 177 BBs will usually be of soft lead.
    I bought some Gamo .177 Lead BBs for use in one of the Gamo CO2 repeaters with rifled bore. Accuracy proved about the same with steel BBs. Pellets proved to be far less accurate than either type of BB, probably due to pressure being too low to expand the skirt.

Well it seams that air guns pellets i have ,ar pure or in the best way 99% lead ..i compere the bullets weights i have from casted from COWW,pure lead and the air gun pellets lead.
    230 grain .45ACP bullet from Lee mold drops at 230 grain with COWW ,with pure lead drops at 233,5 grain and from air gun letes drop at 233-233,5 so ..its pure lead

Bad luck!