RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 7mm Thor AKA Ideal 287377 Flat nose, 135 grains

Boolit Man
    You are a champion!!!! (Well the Olympics are on!!!!) It must be a lot of work for the people that organise these group buys....all the work and effort is greatly appreciated. What is really exciting is we are going to have a new (modified) design to play with , from a new to me maker....all with reasonably fast turnaround.

Once again - thankyou so much for your efforts in making this possible.Kind regards Peter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    In that case, here is what I'd do. Take an empty sized case, insert a 7mm flat base jacketed bullet upside down (so the flat base is pointed out), push the bullet into the case just enough for the case to hold the bullet, take the assembled dummy and gently load it into your rifle. The throat will push the bullet deeper into the case. This final location of bullet seating gives you a fair guess of the throat length; the bullet above the case will be a rough throat measurement. If the bullet is sticking out of the case less than 1/4", this boolit should work decently. There is more to it than that but you'll have a very good chance that this boolit sized to .287" to .288" will shoot for you.

Hope this helps you.

Edd

P.S. If anyone else wants to jump in with some helpful info, please do. IMHO, we are all here to give and get help with our hobby.
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't think this boolit will suite my rifle. I tried the method you suggested and the bullet sticks out beyond the case mouth by approx. .270". Too close for my to risk the cost, gotta pass even though I like the thought of a "kinda" WFN 7mm.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't think this boolit will suite my rifle. I tried the method you suggested and the bullet sticks out beyond the case mouth by approx. .270". Too close for my to risk the cost, gotta pass even though I like the thought of a "kinda" WFN 7mm.
    Glad I could be of assistance. If you have doubts, I think you're doing the right thing by passing over the buy. Cast boolit shooting in rifles can be a challenge so it is best to start with something you're sure will fit.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in for a 2 cavity

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blpenn66502 View Post
    I'm in for a 2 cavity
    COOL...you're added to the list.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Master
    SHHHHHH! I will get of the fence, but don't tell the wife! I will take a 2 cavity with the option to increase to a 4 if we get enough orders.
    Is there any chance of getting one at .286? instead of .288.
    SHHHH!
    Kevin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    SHHHHHH! I will get of the fence, but don't tell the wife! I will take a 2 cavity with the option to increase to a 4 if we get enough orders.
    SHHHH!
    Kevin
    I've added you to the "committed" list. Glad to have you on board.

I'll ask about a smaller diameter. I kinda want to ask you though, why? I'm not an expert but my experience with 7mm has been that .287-.288" will give better accuracy in commercial guns and even bigger often in MILSURPs. My personal preference is to have a boolit drop a thousanth or two bigger than what I finish size to, with the option of being able to use it "as cast" so I'm curious.

Edd

Boolit Master

SHHHH!
    Kevin

I just heard from Ballisti-Cast and he said he can cut your mold to .286" diameter, so you're set.

I want to remind everyone I have asked for a .288" diameter with WW lead. Alloy will affect the final diameter so keep that in mind if you wish to vary the finish diameter. The reason I specified WW alloy is because most of us use WW lead as out primary casting metal. Additions to WW lead will influence the as cast diameter.

Edd

Boolit Master
    My newbie reasoning was less resizing to a standerd .285 dia. I will re-slug my bore and get back to you. I am using a Ruger bolt in 7mm R.M.
    Kevin

Boolit Master

A bump to keep things in the fore front. We're doing pretty well with this GB, I think. It's been open for 7 days and we have 13 takers. We may well hit 20 which will cut the price per mold.

Edd

What are the standard size die diameters for the 7mm? I'll put together a chart with lead types and diameters the bullets will drop from the mold at and then just specify the diameter you want. It won't add any extra work as the molds will be cut on a CNC mill and changing diameters is easy. We'll offer a few different sizes as necessary. I recommend getting a mold so that it drops a bullet .001-.0025" over the diameter of your size die. Bigger then that and the bullets get tougher to size and smaller then that your not leaving enough material to size.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ballisti-cast View Post
    What are the standard size die diameters for the 7mm? I'll put together a chart with lead types and diameters the bullets will drop from the mold at and then just specify the diameter you want. It won't add any extra work as the molds will be cut on a CNC mill and changing diameters is easy. We'll offer a few different sizes as necessary. I recommend getting a mold so that it drops a bullet .001-.0025" over the diameter of your size die. Bigger then that and the bullets get tougher to size and smaller then that your not leaving enough material to size.
    I believe the standard sizer dies for Lyman & RCBS are .284 and .285. Star dies I believe can be ordered in any size. Lee Push Throughs are available in .284 and .285 as standard sizes. The problem with all of these, is they are generally smaller than most people need. My TCU shoots a .286 fairly well but going to .287 the groups shrink by about 25%. This is why I specified the basic diameter of .288 as cast with WW lead.

Thanks for adding the choice of diameters. Hopefully that get some fence sitters moving toward an order.

Edd
    Last edited by badgeredd; 09-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Banned
    Seeing as I have personally shot this boolit more than anyone else I thought I would throw some of my experience out there for ya all to digest.

I have shot this boolit from the modded by Edd lyman 287377 mould in 3 different barrels. 1)7TCU 10inch contender 2) 7TCU 21inch contender 3) Shortened7x57 original military mauser barrel that had an A.I reamer dropped into it. All 3 barrels will shoot OK with boolits sized .285, but all 3 barrels much prefer the boolits sized to .287 . Buckshot made me the sizer die and he does great work for the money he charges btw....the .287 sizer consitently shrank my groups by 1/4 to 1/2 inch@100 over the .285 sizer.

I am running both contender barrels over a near maximum dose of H322. My 21 inch contender will shoot this boolit at 2510 fps and keep them an inch or under at 100 yards and when I do my part really well I sometimes get 1/2 inchers so the weakest link is apparently the shooter. If I put the Harris bipod on the 21 inchers forearm and lay my left hand on the left leg of the bipod just right i can get 3/4 inch groups at that speed with very repeatable consistency. The 10 incher does about 2050FPS with one to 1.5 inch groups when I hold my grip consitently. I am the weakest link with the 10 inch barrel. but I am getting better with it.

The sporterized 7x57 Stannard model mauser with the original but modified stepped mil barrel will sometimes do great and other times it will not. This particular barrel loves J-words but the loooooong .290 diameter throat makes consitency an issue with EVERY castboolit I have tried in it (alot of different designs btw) . My plan is to take the barrel off this rifle and install a custom 1/11 or 1/12 twist lighweight sporter barrel set up with an engagement leade and throat specifiacally cut for this boolit for this rifle. I am hoping to get an accurate 2800FPS with this boolit in this gun once the new barrel is on. I can sometimes get there now but the huge throat/fast twist is allowing some evil voodoo to occassionally ruin my groups.

My standard alloy is waterdropped 50WW/50Pure. Sometimes I will add 5% railroad bearing babbit to the 50/50. At 2000 to 2500 fps these alloys and this boolit design do a really neat rivet style mushroom that will make venison out of deer just fine going by what it does on water jugs, large fibrous produce, raccoons and feral housecat sized critters. The standard 21inch Contender Carbine with this boolit is going deer hunting this year....so stay tuned.

Hope that helps,
    Mike

Boolit Master
    Badger I figured I could easily beagle a mold larger a tad. To try a larger bullet.
    Kevin

Boolit Master

Badger I figured I could easily beagle a mold larger a tad. To try a larger bullet.
    Kevin
    Kevin, I'm assuming you would like a as cast diameter of .286 then. Is that correct?

Edd

Put me down for a 2 cav.... if it dont work in my Ruger 7x57 I have a Savage switch barrel that I need a 7mm-08 for anyway
    GreywuufATgciDOTnet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    Put me down for a 2 cav.... if it dont work in my Ruger 7x57 I have a Savage switch barrel that I need a 7mm-08 for anyway
    GreywuufATgciDOTnet
    Thanks. I've added you to the list.

Edd
    Last edited by badgeredd; 08-24-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Put me down for a 2 cav with handles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Put me down for a 2 cav with handles.
    OK, I'll get 'er dun. Thanks.

Edd

Boolit Master
    OK, I'll bite, mark me for 1 mold, 2 cavity but to drop at .290"

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast