Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Thor AKA Ideal 287377 Flat nose, 135 grains

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by 280Ackley View Post
    Did everyone else receive their replacements this week? I haven't seen one yet.
    Nothing here yet. No worries either. Sometimes it takes a day or two longer on my end.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

I am still waiting on the handle mounting screws for molds to be sent out to jixxerbill, Taylor271701, peterthevet, and Dromia. All others, I was told, have been mailed out to the recipients.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    Received the screws today.

Boolit Master
    Thanks' for reminding me mine came in yesterday, just screwed them into the mould.

In Remembrance

Guess I`ll be back down at the mailbox Monday!Robert

In Remembrance

Had the RCBS pot fired up today. There was about 18 lbs. of 50/50 alloy in it from last session. I fluxed 2 times before getting down to it with the pre heated Thor. I threw about 50 boolets for my control. I had a minor amount of boolet sticking from the slight tool marks in the front cavity nose area, still I can live with it. After cooling I randomly selected 7 boolets. The following are the measurements that came with the mold samples and mine taken with a Brown and Sharpe Mic. that is about my age.

Samples My casts
    .287" .286" Nose near front band
    .290" .288" Band
    .2495" .2495" Gas check

The dimensions for my samples that I chose were very consistent from 1 to the next.
    Average weight for the 7 samples was 135 gr. +/- a 1/10th of a grain either way.

Thought you guys would like to see what I came up with after all my complaining.Robert

Boolit Buddy

Nice to see yours were dropping somewhat smaller, I guess the question is do they fit what you bought it for? Hope so!

Randy

Boolit Master

It is good to see that at least some molds are coming in correctly.

About the tooling marks, has anyone attempted to carefully polish the roughness out?

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Buddy
    Mine has been at the P.O. since last week. I contacted Ballistic Cast by email over the weekend and they got right back with a tracking number. My *** mail critter just didn't leave me a notice. I picked it up today. Again, thanks for all the hard work Ed has put in on this.

Jeff

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    Nice to see yours were dropping somewhat smaller, I guess the question is do they fit what you bought it for? Hope so!

Randy
    My intended use is to be in a DWM 98 Mauser that has a new commercial barrel on it. I let cast boolets age for 10 - 14 days before sizeing, so I`ll know in about 2 weeks.Robert

Banned
    If anyone gets a mould that they deem too small, I will swap you mine as I actually need a smaller one.

Mine casts fine and measures .288 to .2885 on the nose and .290 to .2905 on the drive bands.

Boolit Master
    That is the exact size I need.
    But, at the moment I don't have a small Thor to swap.
    Swap for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    If anyone gets a mould that they deem too small, I will swap you mine as I actually need a smaller one.

Mine casts fine and measures .288 to .2885 on the nose and .290 to .2905 on the drive bands.

Boolit Buddy
    These are the castings that came with the mold. Why would they ship a product so obviously out of spec? This mold is way to big for the 7s I own. By the way. The measurements are theirs. I confirmed them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1397512517343.jpg  
    Last edited by 280Ackley; 04-14-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Banned
    ...and I believe 280Ackley has THEEE QUESTION OF THE DAY pinned down tightly........I was more ***? when I read my little manilla envelope....they knew it was wrong, shipped it anyway as good nuff I guess.

Boolit Buddy

After the Buyer's Choice group buy there was talk about their formula for calculating the relationship between cavity and dropped boolit size being questionable. I guess that tidbit never made it to Bill. I feel for the guy, but have to wonder why no adjustments were made after the first run was huge and these started coming out big. It is sad to see H&G's legacy die out this way.

That said, I haven't tried mine out yet. I bought a Lee 130gr mould in hopes of being able to shoot my 7mm-08 this year. Pretty sad when you have more faith in a Lee mould than what should have been a premium custom one.

I don't think Lee has ever heard of venting a mould. I was able to get the 7mm casting ok, but I also got a 500gr mould to try for my .458 and I had a devil of a time until I settled on pouring an entire #2 Rowell ladle over EACH cavity to get it to fill.

Randy

Boolit Master
    The original drawing shows a band diameter of .288" and my mould is marked .292" or .004" larger.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    ................ It is sad to see H&G's legacy die out this way.

Brother, you just spoke volumes. At the rate they are going that is exactly what will happen.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Buddy

Quote from Josh in our .44 group buy:

" but they are a little heat sensitive. For example, I left a 434 diameter mold get too warm and it threw a .432 bullet consistently but dropped the mold temp and it swung right back to a .434 boolit. The same can be said for the .432 mold."

Is there any chance we could reduce the diameter we are dropping by cranking up the heat? 900 degrees?

Just a thought...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    The original drawing shows a band diameter of .288" and my mould is marked .292" or .004" larger.
    Your mold should drop .290" diameter bands on the bullet with the alloy as specified. What did the bullet samples have as a listed diameter? The .292" is the cavity diameter, not the bullet diameter which I admit is a bit confusing.

Edd

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 280Ackley View Post
    These are the castings that came with the mold. Why would they ship a product so obviously out of spec? This mold is way to big for the 7s I own. By the way. The measurements are theirs. I confirmed them.
    Jeff,

Please cast with your mold as it is possible that the samples were cold cast and may be somewhat different when you cast them. I base that on the weight shown on the envelope.

Edd

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast