Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Thor AKA Ideal 287377 Flat nose, 135 grains

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    After the Buyer's Choice group buy there was talk about their formula for calculating the relationship between cavity and dropped boolit size being questionable. I guess that tidbit never made it to Bill. I feel for the guy, but have to wonder why no adjustments were made after the first run was huge and these started coming out big. It is sad to see H&G's legacy die out this way.

That said, I haven't tried mine out yet. I bought a Lee 130gr mould in hopes of being able to shoot my 7mm-08 this year. Pretty sad when you have more faith in a Lee mould than what should have been a premium custom one.

I don't think Lee has ever heard of venting a mould. I was able to get the 7mm casting ok, but I also got a 500gr mould to try for my .458 and I had a devil of a time until I settled on pouring an entire #2 Rowell ladle over EACH cavity to get it to fill.

Randy
    IMHO, adjustments WERE made but.......

For the record, the sample mold I received for this run of the Thor mold had a nose diameter of .286", a band diameter of .288". and a gas check shank diameter of .252". I told them that the cavities were perfect except the gas check shank which needed to be reduced to .249-.250" (a little loose is better than too tight,IMHO). I repeatedly stressed the nose diameter must be .286" -.0010/+.0000. I can't for the life of me understand getting the majority of the molds oversize! As a plastic injection mold maker (retired) of 33 years, I know what it takes to get a cavity cut to the RIGHT size, and it is NOT that difficult. There is no excuse in my mind for getting the majority of the molds oversize IF the QC practices were correct. Since we had a mold that was to be cut smaller, Logic says one would attempt cutting it first, and checking it for size, and then adjust the cutter path as needed. APPARENTLY this was not the case.

I could understand more easily a mold being undersize due to cutter flex and cutter dulling as the manufacturing process proceeded than having the majority oversize. Bill did step up and attempted to corrected the previous problems, but the QC is lacking. Because of the previous debacle and lack of funds, I had the molds sent directly to the buyers, so I would assume more care would be taken to ensure correct dimensions. It is a shame that Bill spent so much to try and make this right and it has turned out this badly.

I feel badly for Bill as he attempted to correct the previous fiasco, but I also think you guys should have all of the information as it affects your molds.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    Jeff,

Please cast with your mold as it is possible that the samples were cold cast and may be somewhat different when you cast them. I base that on the weight shown on the envelope.

Edd
    I'll cast with it this weekend Ed, and I'll crank up the heat. Will post results as soon as I'm done.

Boolit Buddy

Once again, thanks for riding herd on all this Edd, you have definitely done everything you could. I will try mine out tonight or tomorrow, maybe I got a small (enough) one. I have to say, I liked the way the first one cast, just couldn't use the end product. I have 2-300 of those sized/lubed, I have to find some 7x57 brass, might have a use for them yet.

Randy

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Had the RCBS pot fired up today. There was about 18 lbs. of 50/50 alloy in it from last session. I fluxed 2 times before getting down to it with the pre heated Thor. I threw about 50 boolets for my control. I had a minor amount of boolet sticking from the slight tool marks in the front cavity nose area, still I can live with it. After cooling I randomly selected 7 boolets. The following are the measurements that came with the mold samples and mine taken with a Brown and Sharpe Mic. that is about my age.

Samples My casts
    .287" .286" Nose near front band
    .290" .288" Band
    .2495" .2495" Gas check

The dimensions for my samples that I chose were very consistent from 1 to the next.
    Average weight for the 7 samples was 135 gr. +/- a 1/10th of a grain either way.

Thought you guys would like to see what I came up with after all my complaining.Robert
    As everyone is talking about casting temperature. I use a large dial thermometer from a dis-assembled boiler that reads up to 1000 degrees. I check my RCBS pot 2-3 times during a session. For the Thor casting session I was casting at 750 degrees.Robert

Boolit Master

Below are the instructions that were on the address sheet I sent to B-C so all of the molds could be shipped direct to the buyers.

"Molds are to be cut to drawing unless noted otherwise. Default dimensions are .288” band diameter with a MAXIMUM of .286” on the nose diameter just ahead of the crimp groove. The .286 nose tolerance diameter is -.001”/+.000”, regardless of band diameter. This dimension if oversize will cause functioning problems in chambering."

I submit I couldn't have been any more clear about the requirements needed.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Buddy
    Nobody blames you Ed. You have be above and beyond on this all the way. It is just a shame that after a year of working with Ballisti-cast they were willing to ship a defective product. It is in no way a reflection on you. I sure that I am not the only member here that has a long memory for both those that did right by me and those that have treated me poorly. I suspect that Bill will not be selling much product to the members here in the future.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    As everyone is talking about casting temperature. I use a large dial thermometer from a dis-assembled boiler that reads up to 1000 degrees. I check my RCBS pot 2-3 times during a session. For the Thor casting session I was casting at 750 degrees.Robert
    That was just me being a wiseXXX Robert, I'll be first in line to say I'm not in the genius category. I would definitely think 750 would have been plenty hot. I put the 900 in purple as sarcasm, like is noted in 357Max's signature. Realistically that's probably a bit high.

Edd, I was in NO way trying to call any part of what you have done into question. You not only provided them with a good print and tolerances of what was desired, you babysat/held their hand to help guide them down the path to righteousness. The fact that they wandered off the path the minute you let go and turned your head is not on you.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Ed, my package with the bullets have only the bullet weight. Avg. of 5 132.48. The bullets are full of defects, voids and wrinkles and looks like they were tumbled.

Banned
    I got my mould screws in today's mail.....so I am COMPLETELY screwed now I guess.

Boolit Buddy

You were kinda screwed before

Banned
    YUP, ....or did you mean screwy before

... it happens ......sometimes all you can do is say OH WELL and carry on just to say that the saga is over.

Hmmmm? Oversized molds. Radial cavity defects from a poorly finished cutter. Sounds like a fine application for a heavy coat of mold release on everthing but the GC shank.

Banned
    Bruce if you were not so big and ugly or I might just hug you.......gonna try that ....thank you.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    I got my mould screws in today's mail.....so I am COMPLETELY screwed now I guess.
    OH PLEASE!!! Don`t make me comment on this!!! I thought I was the only one whose bread wasn`t done yet!!Robert

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen hide nore hare of mine yet. You aren't alone ^^^^^^

Boolit Master

What do y'all think? Usable or not? They are 0.287 in front of the crimp groove and 0.2895-0.290" on the bands as measured with calipers. They are seated as cast in my 7-30 waters T/C contender. This one was seated by closing the action.

Boolit Master

Another pic of different side of dummy cartridge

Brad.

Boolit Master
    Yesterday I had a talk with Keith. He just got done cutting my mold, and wanted to confirm the measurements. The gas check shank was .0005 over size. The drive band was .003 over. But the nose was rite on. So he said he will cut me a new one again. Hopefully to the correct size.
    Since this mold is so close to what most wanted for there mold. A person mite be able to call and get it. Kevin

Banned

I feel bad for you all, and hope this works out right! There is no reason to deal with that kind of machine marks in a cavity! If you guys want me to cut ANY designs I have a whole slew of people from my 4140 steel molds that can attest to the quality and workmanship of our product.

Boolit Master

Josh'

Be careful what you wish for my friend.

Edd

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast