WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Thor AKA Ideal 287377 Flat nose, 135 grains

Moderator Emeritus
    Ed.

On the paperwork make sure it is a replacement for a damaged item so I don't get hit with the VAT, duty and the flat £8 charge again.

Many thanks for all your effort on our behalf.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    I received mine today and had to sign for it. After opening it I looked at it with my naked eye and I thought that it looked a little rough in the nose section, so I grabbed my jewelers eye loupe and all I saw was a lot of machining marks. They were four bullets that were in a small envelope that were cast from it with a s/n written on the envelope that matched the mould that showed the tool marks on the bullet noses. I will have to cast with it to see how they look with the mould at a proper temperature. The bullets measure .298 to .291 and with the finish looking like they were tumbled I did not measure in .0001, that will come after I cast some that show that the mould has come up to the proper temperature with complete fill out.

Boolit Master

Before people get upset, I noticed on the molds I received that the screws for the handles were left out. I called Bill and he said he'll be sending out screws to everyone.

I received 4 molds that I will be forwarding out to the buyers. I'll be PMing the fellows here in the states whose molds I have. It seems a couple addresses got dropped along the way so as soon as I have the screws for the molds. I have to get the correct info and then I'll PM the 2 guys here in the states.

As I told Hardcast416taylor on the phone today, as soon as the molds I have in hand are shipped, I disavow any more involvement in the GB. If anyone has issues with their mold contact Bill Sand at BC. I've tried my best to get good molds for everyone. Thank you everyone for your extreme patience. It is appreciated here.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Mine arrived today. My wife signed for it while I was way out back pruning apple trees. Mine looks just like your description Doc Highwall and yes I checked it with my loupe also. I need to shoot Balisti-Cast an email as it doesn't have any handle attaching screws. It looks like Sunday will be the first day I have to give it a try with all this spring work on top of me. All the casting stuff got squirreled away before winter and brought to the house so I'll dig out a small Lee electric pot and laddle.

Doc? Should that read 288 to 291 instead of 298 to 291?

Boolit Master
    Edd, your post made it to the forum before mine. I'll just sit tight on those handle screws.

Edd you have gone above and beyond and then some for us on this group buy. Sincere Thanks to you for all your effort. I know its much appreciated by each and every one of us.
    Last edited by Iowa Fox; 04-07-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Banned
    I recieved mine today also. After chasing the parcel down and signing for it, I opened the box.

1. No handle screws as noted in above posts
    2. Machining marks that need no loupe to see

Awhile later I cleaned the mould, stole some handle screws from an RCBS mould and I fired the pot up and commenced to casting with an alloy of 50% COWW/50% Pure+ 5% RR babbitt.

Results
    -average weight of 136.1 grains,
    -the machining marks did not cast as boldly as I thought they would, but they are still quite "present" in the castings.
    -band diameters of .290 ( I ordered .288)
    -nose diameter of .2885 waaaay too far up the nose
    -gas checks shank is a very loosy goosy slip fit with gator/hornady checks

My plan

1. Lap gas check shanks
    2. wait for handle screws
    3. Put the mould in the drawer until I find something the fat nose will fit....I had to deep seat past crimp groove into the case ....did not have to do that with the blocked off 377 prototype mould in the 7TCU this was meant for.
    4. Not buy another ballisticast product.....It is obvious Bill tried harder than the last guy, but I am not impressed enough to send money his way again. Not trying to be "that guy" but it is how I feel.
    5. Keep using the single cavity modified 287377 mould that inspired this SAGA

Edd...thanks for all you have done on this---your efforts are to be commended...THANK YOU

Boolit Buddy

Mike,
    Is there any difference between the final product here and the first mold? Sounds very disappointing, that's for sure.
    Be interested to see mine, hopefully it's waiting when I get home tonight.

Randy

Boolit Master

I haven't cast any with the mold yet, but checking the test casts with calipers I can't tell much difference in the ogive diameter and profile of the nose of this mold from the first one. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Correction. The large diameter section of the nose is shorter. I do still think that the ogive is slightly too far out for my TC barrel with this mold. I do believe that i might still have to seet boolits deep.

My 7-30 waters has a 289-290 throat but not near long enough for this boolit it seems.

When I get some cast I'll make up some dummy rounds. I still have a handful of boolits from the first mold to compare to.

Best of luck to everyone. Brad
    Last edited by BK7saum; 04-08-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    Iowa Fox, "Doc? Should that read 288 to 291 instead of 298 to 291? " Yes. Some day I might learn to type and proof read.

In Remembrance

I`m wondering why everyone is saying they had to sign for their`s? Mine was just in my mailbox waiting for me? Robert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    Mike,
    Is there any difference between the final product here and the first mold? Sounds very disappointing, that's for sure.
    Be interested to see mine, hopefully it's waiting when I get home tonight.

Randy

It's better/closer, but it still ain't "right", almost like he split the difference from what is wanted from what was. That being said at least I can see this one being able to be used in something someday maybe. The main problem is that ogive being carried that far is just toooooooo much of the right idea. Pure lead alloy would not correct that size desparity. My first 10 inch 7TCU would have proably liked this boolit, but I sold it to a feller that wanted to shoot 170gr roundnoses at minimum speed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I`m wondering why everyone is saying they had to sign for their`s? Mine was just in my mailbox waiting for me? Robert

Sounds to me like your mailman does not appreciate your company either that or he is just lazier than the rest.

Sounds like you boys need a GB on a tapered nose die with 7/8-14 thread and a knockout punch. It would go a long way in customizing a good fit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Sounds like you boys need a GB on a tapered nose die with 7/8-14 thread and a knockout punch. It would go a long way in customizing a good fit.

Bruce

No....what we needed was a mould maker that can read a mic. 0.286 and 0.288 nose makes a big difference when talking an ogival wadcutter nose that is basically a borerider when correctly made. Thank God and Edd that I have the original prototype in my possession, I feel for those that have basically gotten blanked over twice and do not have the prototype. I was wanting to speed up production and have a spare........forming a nose will not speed up the operation over a correctly casting single cavity, and what good is a spare that is too big.

I sure miss BRP, that anal reten....I mean perfectionist feller knew how to make a mould and it was RIGHT before the customer got it.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    I sure miss BRP, that anal reten....I mean perfectionist feller knew how to make a mould and it was RIGHT before the customer got it.
    Both analogies apply I think. A.C.E. has a new two cavity block out....... why not run this design thru him, provided the other molds are fat also.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Both analogies apply I think. A.C.E. has a new two cavity block out....... why not run this design thru him, provided the other molds are fat also.
    I am going to keep using my one lunger and be happy. If someone did want to do this through Josh I am sure he would do it and that Edd would not object to his print being used for such purposes as Edd is not the all rights reserved kinda fella. That ball is up to someone else to start rolling however.

Boolit Master

A-Freaking-Men on someone else can start the ball! Enough is enough.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Edd, I am still thankful for all that you have done knowing that you did what you could and that the fault is who you were working with at Ballisti-Cast.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Sounds to me like your mailman does not appreciate your company either that or he is just lazier than the rest.
    I think he might be a little afraid of me by the size and weight of boxes I tend to recieve? Maybe the sounds of gunshots from behind my place does it?Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Did everyone else receive their replacements this week? I haven't seen one yet.

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast