MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Thor AKA Ideal 287377 Flat nose, 135 grains

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Hmmmm? Oversized molds. Radial cavity defects from a poorly finished cutter. Sounds like a fine application for a heavy coat of mold release on everthing but the GC shank.
    Darn good idea Bruce. BTW, I have an extra for you.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    Josh'

Be careful what you wish for my friend.

Edd
    Edd,

We could run up to 25-30 rolling buys keeping the 12 weeks before we get bogged down, hit me

Joshua

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 338RemUltraMag View Post
    Edd,

We could run up to 25-30 rolling buys keeping the 12 weeks before we get bogged down, hit me

Joshua
    Let me chat with Dromia. He is thinking about running a GB for this mold and I really don't want to step on his toes. BUT I have three designs ready for you, one of them will be honcho-ed by Dutch4122. I am very happy with the execution on the 44 bullet so I think we'll be trying to bog you down. My problem is I have to have some money before I start a buy cause I want one of each myself.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Yesterday I had a talk with Keith. He just got done cutting my mold, and wanted to confirm the measurements. The gas check shank was .0005 over size. The drive band was .003 over. But the nose was rite on. So he said he will cut me a new one again. Hopefully to the correct size.
    Since this mold is so close to what most wanted for there mold. A person mite be able to call and get it. Kevin
    Just for clarification, who is Keith?

Randy

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post

What do y'all think? Usable or not? They are 0.287 in front of the crimp groove and 0.2895-0.290" on the bands as measured with calipers. They are seated as cast in my 7-30 waters T/C contender. This one was seated by closing the action.
    If I can close the bolt on mine seated to the crimp groove like that I'm using it.

Randy

In Remembrance

HMMMMMMM! Still waiting for the handle screws.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Hmmmm? Oversized molds. Radial cavity defects from a poorly finished cutter. Sounds like a fine application for a heavy coat of mold release on everthing but the GC shank.
    For anyone that has a mold with an oversized nose section, I took Bruce's suggestion as above. I mask off everything but the nose area and sprayed the mold with Frankford Arsenal's Drop Out, let it dry, and sprayed another coat on it. I then heated the mold and let it cool on a hot plate. Then mounted the cavity blocks in a handle and proceeded to cast bullets. the coating reduced the nose section by .002" on the nose which made my bullets come into spec at .286" diameter. I'll say it again, "Darn good idea Bruce!"

Edd
    Last edited by badgeredd; 04-22-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

What do y'all think? Usable or not? They are 0.287 in front of the crimp groove and 0.2895-0.290" on the bands as measured with calipers. They are seated as cast in my 7-30 waters T/C contender. This one was seated by closing the action.
    Looks like I'm going to end up sizing these to 0.286 or so. The throat is 0.290 in this 7-30 waters TC, but the chamber neck with r-P brass can only hold up to about a 0.2865 or 0.287. I still have to figure out exactly what I have/need. The pound cast of the neck throat measured 0.308 across the case neck. Going to have to do a little measuring and get in touch with buckshot. This is not going to be an ideal fit, but I'm hoping it will work out.

When deciding to get this mold, I only paid attention to the throat diameter and thought, Hey, the 7mm Thor should work perfect. Well, I guess not.

Brad

Boolit Buddy

The throat is 0.290 in this 7-30 waters TC, but the chamber neck with r-P brass can only hold up to about a 0.2865 or 0.287.
    What about neck turning your cases?

Boolit Master

I was thinking about that. Guess I could try a couple and see. Already have a nice Sinclair turner and pilot for 7mm when I had a custom 7mm built. This brass was already turned to get rid of the high spots. I guess another 0.0015-.002" wouldn't hurt although the brass is fairly thin anyway. If the ogive was to spec this could easily be a fitted neck rifle. No resizing, just prime, powder, seat a bullet and fire away.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    HMMMMMMM! Still waiting for the handle screws.Robert
    Monday - same story NADA!Robert

Boolit Master

Necks turned to 0.0083" maybe a little too much. But that will fit a 0.290" with. A little over 0.001" clearance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    Before people get upset, I noticed on the molds I received that the screws for the handles were left out. I called Bill and he said he'll be sending out screws to everyone.

I received 4 molds that I will be forwarding out to the buyers. I'll be PMing the fellows here in the states whose molds I have. It seems a couple addresses got dropped along the way so as soon as I have the screws for the molds. I have to get the correct info and then I'll PM the 2 guys here in the states.

As I told Hardcast416taylor on the phone today, as soon as the molds I have in hand are shipped, I disavow any more involvement in the GB. If anyone has issues with their mold contact Bill Sand at BC. I've tried my best to get good molds for everyone. Thank you everyone for your extreme patience. It is appreciated here.

Edd
    ANYONE who hasn't received the screws for their mold, contact Bill Sand at the address listed in the banner ad at the top of the page or his phone #701-352-1164. BTW...as I said before, one can borrow the screws and pins from a RCBS mold while they are waiting for the screws so they can cast with the B-C mold. Out of the 12 screws I needed, I received 11...go figure.

Edd

In Remembrance

Well, of the only 2 screws that a mold needs to hold the handles on with - I have recieved ZERO! I have decided not to chase a maker for just 2 handle screws as he really doesn`t seem to want to make happy customers. I think that I will be on my death bed with a gun pointed at my "manhood" before I purchase another B-C product for any reason after this lengthy ordeal to get this mold!Robert

Moderator Emeritus
    Mine arrived yesterday, thank you Edd.

Overall it is a far better looking mould than the previous one I got.

The four sample cast measured 0.288" on the nose, 0.2905 on the bands and and 0.250 on the gas check shank, well at least the driving bands are larger than the nose this time.

I won't get a chance to cast with this for a while as my wife has just come out of hospital after acute surgery.

However I have chambered a boollit in my Boer Mauser, groove 0.288" bore 0.276". The boolits seats into the chamber so that it is 0.0610" deeper into the case beyond the crimp groove with the base just around 0.0300" into the case below the neck. So it could work and only trial will tell, still if it had been on spec then it would have fitted as hoped for.

So at least this time I may have something usable but still not a good effort from BC, they are a failed company in my opinion and I will never deal with them again.

I can only say a heartfelt thank you to Edd for sticking with this disaster for us, his role as honcho has been exemplary and i hold him in the highest regard for his efforts on our behalf with a troublesome GB that we thought we had seen the last of when we ditched Lee.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

explain this to me please...

The impact cast of the throat measures 0.2895 or so. However when i chamber a dummy cartridge lead is shaved from the boolit at the throat and measures 0.2855-0.286 where the lead is shaved.

Did I screw up the chamber impact cast or whats going on. Based on the impact cast this boolit should chamber fine.

Moderator Emeritus
    Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like it is the rifling that is shaving the boolit, if so what is the groove diameter there?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

That is probably not the best pic, but a complete ring is being shaved by the step down from the chamber to the throat. There are faint land impressions there. Why I don't know. But the impact cast measures 0.2895 or so. The groove diameter of this barrel runs right at 0.284.

Boolit Master

Well guys, I believe NOE will be producing this bullet mold in the near future in aluminium, correctly.

BK7saum, I see some pretty vivid tooling marks in your bullet. I know we won't get anything like that from Swede.

Edd

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-FN-(7mm-Thor)

Only need 4 more molds to make this bullet a go at Noe. Al is giving us a quick turn on this one.
    Last edited by Iowa Fox; 04-28-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast