Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Empty case maker

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Empty case maker

Recently I've been working with using up some bullets appropriate for the three oh three British round . I've been able to use a couple of different rifles , sometimes with good results even . In sorting out some of the brass and using it I needed to get some cases trimmed so I set up my make shift drill press trimmer and got after that . It really wasn't so bad getting them trimmed so I did a small pile of some HXP stuff I got years ago and had removed the ammo from the belts and stored it in cans .

So I got to thinking about loading up all the cases I had that were empty and the thought came to me . I don't remember the last time I shot any military ball ammo through a Brit of any design . With that in mind I went digging in the bunker and came up with more of that HXP ball that is the same vintage as the empty cases . Well that's great , but now I don't want to run the ammo through the number one MkIII or the number four MkII ...... what I need is a case emptier .

As it just so happens , leftover from my last table at the gun show the rifle nobody wanted . A Savage number four MkI that was all cleaned and prettied up for the guys that snub their noses at it unless they can resell it with a two hundred percent profit . So I clipped the price tag off it and the nylon band , grabbed the ammo and rifle and out back I went .

Most of the shooting was from the bench because I wanted to see the difference of where the "L" type flip sight would put the rounds . The short setting seemed to send them just a tad left but the taller one kept the shots centered . Then , just for giggles , I attached the bayonet to see where the groups would go . Short sight moved just enough right on the target to be centered perfect and went down just a tad . The tall sight just came down a bit and stayed centered .

So by the time I got done playing around with it I had another hundred empty HXP cases to resize and trim for the loading project . Who knows maybe I'll put some more wear on this Savage and empty some more cases with it . After all the hustlers at the gun show aren't likely to shoot the rifle enough to apprieciate how nice it is . I case use a few more of those nice Boxer primed cases anyway .

Jack

Boolit Master

You're shootin' jacketed?! For shame!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

At least he gets brass to load real boolits in!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    You got that right Uncle Grinch !! That HXP brass is pretty good stuff too , the last batch I had was HXP75 and I must have got thirty loads out of them . And that was in a rifle that had a .318" groove in it

I bought a Redding bushing die to use with my cast bullet rifle and I bet it wll do just fine . Now to go fool with a couple different designs and see what feeds flawless and is accurate .

Jack

In Remembrance

I`m still shooting my Savage No. 4 mk 1 Enfield that I got way back when for $13 and thru the mail at that. All I`ve done to it is put a closer bolt head on for better head spacing, it`s still full mil. dressed.Robert