MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Picked up a new project .22

Boolit Mold

Picked up a new project .22

I have been wanting to get another Marlin 60 to modify and take out hunting and not worry about if it gets a scratch on it or something. My current 60 holds sentimental value and due to the work I have put into the stock I want to keep it as nice as possible. So after a year or so I just so happened to stop by the pawn shop my friend works at (same guy who helped me customize my shotgun to fit me better) and while I was there something caught my eye. At first I thought it may have been a stainless Marlin 60 but on closer evaluation it turned out to be an old Glenfield 60 that some one had stripped all the paint off of the aluminum action and trigger group so it appeared silver but it still had a blued barrel. It also at first looked like it had a synthetic stock, but turns out it was wood and they coated it with truck bed liner! LOL The thing I Liked about it though was the action cycled pretty well (even considering it needed a good cleaning) and it had the long tube magazine! That was something I REALLY wanted on my next Model 60! Since I planned on this being a project gun I wasnt to worried about the paintless action since it was aluminum and the stock is something I plan on replacing any ways. They were asking 159 for it, but I offered 90 for it and they accepted. I did mention I knew that some of the older 60s had ( I think) buffer issues and my friend told me if this one did he would help me fix it for only what the parts cost him IF it has any issues.

So I brought it home, stripped it down and busted out the can of brake cleaner and plastic brisle brush and gave it a much needed cleaning. After that the action feels pretty good, just about as smoothe as my much newer 60. The first two digets on the serial number are 22 and from what I read that indicates this gun was made in 1978 so its older then I am lol. Any way here are the pictures of it after it was cleaned.

Like I said, its not a pretty gun but the action feels real good. I plan on getting it out in the next few days and put some rounds through it and see how it shoots. My plan is to eventually over the next few months add these parts.

1. ATI Fiberforce Stock.
    2. Scope (most likely another bushnell like I have on my Marlin)
    3. DIP Charging handle
    4. DIP Target trigger

Im not sure if im going to put a rail on it or leave it dove tail. I am thinking about getting another Bushnell 3-9 power like I have on my marlin for it. With my Marlin 60 with that scope I can pick off soda cans standing free handed at 90 yards easy. Since I plan on using this gun mostly for plinking and hunting small game for simplicity sake I may just use another bushnell scope. I thought about taking the scope off my marlin but that gun is so darn accurate the way it is set up I dont want to mess with it lol. I will most likely end up painting the stock camo like I did my last ATI stock I use to have on my Marlin. Not sure what im going to do about the action and trigger guard. I may end up painting those so they arent so bright but im not sure just yet. Feels kinda odd having a silver action and trigger guard but a black barrel lol.

Might be kind of slow going on adding the parts on due to money, but I think this is a good start. Im excited, I didnt want to tamper with my marlin 60 to much to keep it original, but with this one I can modify it and take it out hunting and not worry every time I get into the bushes about scratching the stock or messing up my dads old gun.

Boolit Mold
    Wow, 86 views and not a single comment.

Well . . . I'll bite.

Who makes a target trigger for the Marlin 60? Who is DIP?

Just curious . . . Doug

And . . . BTW . . . there aint nuttin' wrong with "truck bed liner". I got a whole Jeep coated in the stuff. Top, bottom, inside and out. Works great.
    NRA Life Member

But the People, in their weeping, bare the iron hand.
    Beware the People weeping, when they bare the iron hand.
    . . . . "The Martyr", Herman Melville, 1865

Boolit Mold
    I just prefure to keep wood looking nice and use synthetic for something like bed liner I assume who ever owned it last wanted a synthetic "look" but didnt want to buy a new stock.

Here is DIP, they make most of the little there is for aftermarket parts for Marlin Model 60s. They also make a rail that fits onto the dove tail rail that allows you to mount weaver style mounts for scopes,red dots ect.

I know a lot of people are big fans of the 10/22 due to its aftermarket but I love the Model 60. From my experience stock for stock they are more accurate and I am supprised there isnt more of an aftermarket out there for them then there is.

Here is the ATI Fiberforce stock that I'm planning on using.

DIP
    has an assortment of colored trigger guards, creep adjustable triggers and other things for the Model 60. They also make some things for some of the other Marlin Semi-Autos like the 70 and 795. As for the stock, thats the only one I have found that is not your typical every day Wood or Synthetic stock.

Boolit Mold
    O and I forgot to mention, I found the scope that came on my shotgun Scope/slug barrel combo that I picked up years ago. I had to get new scope rings for it, but Its mounted on the gun and just needs to be sighted in.

Here it is, the other 60 is my Marlin. Thats the reason why I picked up this "new" one lol. That was my dads and after refinishing the stock I got a few dings in it and since it has so much sentimental value and the work I put into the stock I didnt want to ding it up hence the reason for my new project. Any way, here is the scope mounted. Now I just need to sight it in when i take it out to shoot it next.

So the scope issue is solved, next will be the stock to be replaced.

Longwood
    I worked for an old guy for a while that carried a 94 Winchester under the seat of his pickup.
    It lay on a piece of that rubber floor mat material they used before they started making "Girl" trucks.
    We were going way back up a rough dirt road in Oregon every day and the gun would slip and slide and bang around under there.
    I asked about it, one day, and he said.
    "There are workin guns and there are showin guns,,, that rifle is a workin gun".

You are now the proud owner of one of each.
    Way to go! I bet it will drive tacks.
    Last edited by Longwood; 08-06-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Thats the plan, one for fun and one for "work"

Boolit Master
    another idea, rotate the mag tube up to about 10 o clock, it makes it way easy, and faster to load. plus you dont have to turn the rifle upside down to load it.

its real simple, just drive out the tube retaining pin, pull the tube, file a groove 45ish deg from the current one, install tube and pin. takes less than 10 mins.

Boolit Mold
    I have always stood the gun up on its butt, then fed them in that way, but thats an idea I hadnt thought of.

Im not quite sure where you are talking about filing the groove, do you have any pictures?