MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Dutch Boy Wire Solder

Boolit Grand Master

Dutch Boy Wire Solder

Need some help identifying just what solder I have. I bought a twentyfive pound roll of solder with ~18 pounds left on it today for $34.00. I figured even if it was 40-60 it was cheap for tin.

The metal spool is marked- National Lead Co. Dutch Boy Wire Solder Grade 40 Size 11, and it also has a smudged 1102 at the bottom.

The black and yellow steel spool looks like it is from the 1950's or 60's. No address, so I can't date it from the zipcode or lack thereof.

My google-foo isn't working today, all I can find are links to bar solder.

Thanks for the info,

Robert

Boolit Master

if it dont have a small hole in center it is most likely 40-60

Boolit Grand Master
    No hole, it is solid wire solder. I am really thinking you are right that it is 40-60, due to the Grade 40 marked on the spool.

Of course it strikes me a little bit strange wondering the exact composition of solder that will be added to WW of unknown composition and lineage. I couldn't pass it up for the price though.

Robert

Boolit Master

I got two partial rolls like that from an old radiator repair shop. I paid $10 but that was a few years ago. Back then I just mixed it until I was happy with a pored boolit from the pot,dipped with an old Lyman dipper. Then poured into ingots for the big Saeco pot.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master
    Just did some soldering yesterday. Needed to repair a fuel tank on a Coleman gas stove.

And, the solder was, "Dutch Boy," 50/50 - PN 91155

Just this Ol'coots opinion, but if your temps are right and you have a good mold, use that tin allow very sparingly.

Meaning in almost all cases, just plain WW cast just fine. In fact, there have been millions of boolits cast from WW without the addition of any other alloy.

Use it if you must, it is your money not mine.

In fact, using a mold made by Bruce - Babore - and following his recomendations of a 50/50, WW/lead alloy for the 465gr 45/70 boolits, that alloy casts just fine.

So, considering that according to Lyman's old cast bullet book, the % of tin in WW is about .5%, I am way below that and doing just fine.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master
    Meaning in almost all cases, just plain WW cast just fine. In fact, there have been millions of boolits cast from WW without the addition of any other alloy.
    I agree, I just couldn't pass up the big roll for the price.

Most of my boolits have been cast with straight WW, but I occassionally get rounded bases on the 257420. I am going to try a small batch with added tin to see if the increase in price is worth it.

Robert