RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Lee 6 cavity .454 round ball mould drops at .451?

Boolit Buddy

Lee 6 cavity .454 round ball mould drops at .451?

Just got a new mould from Track of the Wolf, got a couple in fact. The .380 one drops rite at .380-.381, the .454 drops a .450-.451. .451 is a might too small for the cap and ball colts I had intended to use them in.

I'm using pure lead, and if I remember rite it shrinks a bit more than alloyed lead? Or do I need to get the mould hotter? The only other thing I can think of is too cast the balls and do the cutting compound trick of spinning the ball in place to open it up slightly. I've done this before with success for bullet moulds, would the ball still be pretty much round after doing it?

Thanks, I hate casting 2 balls at a time, don't mind it for the flint lock, but cap and ball revolvers can eat a lot of lead quickly.

Send it back.

Boolit Buddy
    I've thought of it, it was a close out special, I wonder if Lee would honor it?

Boolit Grand Master

Try casting with the lead hotter and the mould hotter. Get the alloy into the cavity as quick as possible and pour a generous sprue.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I'll give it a shot, the lead was rite at 800 deg. Maybe the mould could have been hotter.

Boolit Grand Master

You might try adding a little tin to make it a 40-1 alloy, still plenty soft for the revolvers.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    IME hot lead and hot mould gives a bigger dia.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by will52100 View Post

I'm using pure lead, and if I remember rite it shrinks a bit more than alloyed lead? Or do I need to get the mold hotter? The only other thing I can think of is too cast the balls and do the cutting compound trick of spinning the ball in place to open it up slightly. I've done this before with success for bullet molds, would the ball still be pretty much round after doing it.
    I have the same issue with a steel bag mold from track of the wolf. I ordered a .710 and received a .690 and I called them about it. They said I could return it but I opted to keep it to use in another application. I then reordered another .710 and it was closer this time, but still not .710. I decided to keep this one and thought maybe a thicker patch. I cast up some round balls (running the mold and alloy plenty hot) and they measure .697.

I too am wondering if this round ball mold can be enlarged?

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Boolit Buddy
    I pretty much decided to leave it along, at least the other moulds I got from them are the rite size. BigLube is supposed to be coming out with a 6 cavity round ball mould, if Dick ever does it'll be rite at least.

With shadowCaster, if its an issue to return, sell it on here to a person w a smaller throated C&B or patch heavy.

Boolit Buddy
    If anybody wants it I'll sell it to them. Make an offer.