RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee Loaders!!!

Boolit Bub

Lee Loaders!!!

this is just a post to show my love for the Lee Loader.

average price of $30-$35 each, very simple tool that has everything needed to load a single caliber with the exception of a rubber hammer or similar.

first, i got into reloading to save money. and it worked. ive been able to shoot more, have more ammo, and save money. GREAT!!!

starting out, the CHEAPEST was i could find was a Lee Loader and the stuff to load for one caliber to start out (powder, primer, bullets) everything together was around $100.

so im reloading!!!! well, everyone says presses are better. i got one. i use it for pistol reloading, but not for rifle. i prefer the lee loader. i can reload just as fast or faster with a Lee Loader than i can a single stage press. not only that, i find it "RELAXING" and fun to reload with these things. on a nice day its simple enough to take everything outside and load.

i now have one for almost everything, a couple of some just for a backup just in case. but never no problems.

i did get into bullet casting, great, i just cut costs even more, and i mean by ALOT.

now sure, you COULD spend alot of money and buy presses that can turn out hundreds or thousands of bullets really fast. BUT, as i originally say, i got into reloading to be CHEAP.

so i truly enjoy my Lee Loaders. ive never had a problem with them, i turn out some great rounds that are very accurate.

i have advanced a little....... i started using the Lee Dipper that came with the kit, it works great. but i did invest in a digital scale which was only like $12. just to make sure my loads were the same, dipper was very close, but scales makes the charges exact. i also bought a Lee Hand Primer. this thing is GREAT. especially for them small 9mm cases that you know your going to have to load alot to be able to shoot. i do load 9mm on a single stage press.

now for anyone new....i use my Lee Loaders on my rifles that are bolt action or single shot only and pistols that are revolver only. the reason i load my 9mm on a press is to full length resize. Lee Loaders only neck size the brass. if you have semi-auto firearms, im not sure how the Lee Loader will work as some semi-auto firearms need different brass prep to function properly.

with the Lee loader, i CAN turn out one round per minute. it normally takes longer than this because i take time to weigh each powder charge, and then inspect each bullet after loading. and also take time as to not get careless. you can get careless and pop a primer, no big deal but it'll make ya jump when your not expecting it.

so anyone thinking about the Lee Loaders, they are great, i prefer them. im not against the big presses, but if your wanting to be cheap or on a budget, you cant go wrong with these. they are also great as a backup, alot of people keep them for every caliber, i actually use mine, ALOT.

enjoy and be safe.
    Don't doubt my abilities and/or knowledge, or I may surprise you!!!

I gotta say one thing i love the de-priming tool that comes with the lee loader. I have a 30-30 loader that has been sitting around for years and never used. i hate decapping in my press with dirty cases so i sit down and wack them out with the lee tool. you can do severl hundred in no time and it gives me my first oppertunity to perform inspection number one on the fired cases before they go into the tumbler. just because its for 30-30 does not stop me from using it on evrything from 30-30 to 45-70.
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Boolit Grand Master

I love my Lee Loaders. I have had several single stage presses and now have three and one Lee Turret Press. Occationally, I'll take down a Lee Loader and load up a bunch, just 'cause I want to. I haven't used any 38 Special dies for a while because my Lee Loader is more fun and I get better ammo, in my opinion, with the loader. A lot of the time I'll use a small arbor press, especially for priming, and I can load up a box of fifty almost as fast as with my manually operated turret press. Unlike a bunch of reloaders, I think the Lee Loader is an excellent way to learn reloading; you must learn the "how" of each step. and why it's done.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I like a Lee Loader. I reloaded my .357 for 28 years with one. And as for a low-budget way to break into reloading, as well as get a good grasp on the basics of what is going on.... it's hard to beat. And can pay for itself the first weekend too.

ive got two a 308 and a 243 , i used the 308 for loading my long range match rounds with , while a bit slower than a press but just as good , the 243 win is used becaused i dont have any dies for that cartridge , works well for booits , i also have a simplex (aussie brand)in 22h also for boolits

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing wrong with the Lee handloaders, infact 48 years ago I started with one, 9 or 10 dollars back then, add a buck for lunch bag of powder and another 3 por 4 for primers and bullets, cheap accurate ammo.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Still have my first one, a 20g. Lots and lots of dove and quail in Ka. fell to loads produced on the kitchen table with that tool. Paid $8.95 for it!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee Classic Loader now for all my reloading. I haven't used my bolt down single stage press in 4 years or so because I can load them as quickly with the LCL as with the single stage press.

My favorite reloading tool.

Boolit Bub
    great posts yall...

glad to see i aint the only one who love's the Lee Loaders.

has anyone ever or know of anyone who has ever "worn out" a lee loader?
    Don't doubt my abilities and/or knowledge, or I may surprise you!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkallen83 View Post
    great posts yall...

glad to see i aint the only one who love's the Lee Loaders.

has anyone ever or know of anyone who has ever "worn out" a lee loader?
    One of the range officers at our local range claims to know several target shooters who are still using the same LCL that they bought in the fifties. They never wear out.

Doesn't matter how much you spend. What matters is that what you buy actually works and gives you good ammo. If it does that, then it's a good buy.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Master
    My grandfather had one for his .308 for years and I started off with a .45 Colt. I pick them up here and there, I still remember the one I had for my .257 Roberts, not too often seen. Now I pretty much do everything with my Lyman 310 but I would like to get a .38 Special one again.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    My 1st adventure in reloading was a home made press and my second was a Lee Loader in 38 S&W for my war finish Webely. I lost count years ago of how many times those 500 cases have been reloaded! I find it to be a more relaxed type of reloading.

At the moment, the .38 special Lee Loader is the only thing I have! That and a quality scale, and I've been producing top notch ammo for months now. It's painfully slow, but considering how little time I have to actually go shooting, it's doing fine.

I can load pretty fast for middle of the road loadings using the dipper (I know--not real precise--I ALWAYS weigh the top end loads).

One thing I learned that could have turned out very badly was when I was firing my revolver. One of the rounds made a light "pop". Sure enough--I didn't add powder. And the primer was just enough to send the boolit about 2 inches into the barrel.

I was VERY glad I was shooting and knew what happened. Another pull of the trigger would have been a really ugly situation. Now quality control is the key. I weigh them to make sure they have powder, and actually shake them next to my ear--and you can faintly hear that they are full. (no sound would mean no powder, or double the powder!)
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master
    I'm a fan of the Lee Loader too. From where I am sitting right now I can see seven of them. Even though I have several presses, some cartridges just deserve to have a LL AND a set of regular dies. In .22 Hornet I bought a new set of dies a couple of years ago and still haven't used them because my LL works so well. In .410 shotshell I actually have a MEC loader that I haven't used in the years I have had it. You guessed it: I have a Lee Loader for .410.
    My first ever Lee Loader (.45/70) is pretty beat-up and worn. It was like that when I bought it about 30 years ago. I think I gave something like two dollars for it. It hasn't gotten any worse, though. The previous owner probably used a ball pein hammer on it, or something.