RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite .45acp mold

Boolit Mold

Favorite .45acp mold

I just got a 1911 and now need a mold for it. I currently have two .40s&w molds both lee and swc bullets 6 and 2 cavity. I'm looking for a good and kinda like the round nose style but dunno what kind functions best in 1911s just heard rn molds were what the 1911 was designed for

Living another day
    To CRUSH another clay

Boolit Master
    I'm real happy with my Lyman 452374, its a pointy 225gr RN boolit for the .45 ACP. It has proven to be real accurate out of my Kimber aswell.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been using Lyman # 452460 with complete sucess . It feeds , is accurate and gets a few more boolits out of a pound of metal. I started out with a Lee 230 gr. round nose but found the Lyman semi-wadcutter more to my liking.

gary

Boolit Master

I have 3 45 molds, I like each one of them, a lee 6 cavity 200gr SWC (non TL), a 2 cav 230 TC (non TL), wish it were a 6 cav, and a 2 cavity Mihec 200gr HP mold.

The TC probably feeds the best in the most firearms. I have no trouble with any of the above molds in 4 1911's I load for.

I went for a cheaper bullet for target shooting, Lee 160gr RNFP. I also like shooting the same bullet it 200 grain.
    "The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed" — Ayn Rand

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by .5mv^2 View Post
    I went for a cheaper bullet for target shooting, Lee 160gr RNFP. I also like shooting the same bullet it 200 grain.
    Can you feel a difference in recoil?

Living another day
    To CRUSH another clay

Banned

You'll get the usually 30 or 40 recommendations that come up every time this question is asked, so you'll learn that many, many boolit designs work in most 1911s.

A better question to ask involves a description of what kind of shooting you intend to do.

I have over a dozen different designs in the 200-230-grain range and my favorites are the MP Molds H&G #68 copy and the Accurate 45-230L I designed for my Kimbers.

Gear

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    You'll get the usually 30 or 40 recommendations that come up every time this question is asked, so you'll learn that many, many boolit designs work in most 1911s.

A better question to ask involves a description of what kind of shooting you intend to do.

I have over a dozen different designs in the 200-230-grain range and my favorites are the MP Molds H&G #68 copy and the Accurate 45-230L I designed for my Kimbers.

Gear
    It'll be target shooting/plinking etc

Living another day
    To CRUSH another clay

So far yes, very light recoil, but I have not really pushed the velocity up. I am at 850 fps in a 1911 5". I am using Promo powder.

I consider that it is like shooting a pre-expanded, heavy 9mm bullet.
    "The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed" — Ayn Rand

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .5mv^2 View Post
    So far yes, very light recoil, but I have not really pushed the velocity up. I am at 850 fps in a 1911 5". I am using Promo powder.

I consider that it is like shooting a pre-expanded, heavy 9mm bullet.
    Interesting. I've never tried a boolit/bullet lighter than 185 grains in the 45 ACP.

Geargnasher said it--lots of good boolit designs out there that work well in the 1911A1-series pistols. My favorites are the #452374 for a classic 230 grain RN, the Lee 230 grain TC (non-TL), the Lyman #452460, and the Lee copy of the H&G #68 SWC (non-TL).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

This one is very good! I like it!

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/cat...products_id=64

and these.

Moderator Emeritus
    My Gold Cup used to love the Lyman 452630, best target boolit I put through it.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Super Moderator

I like the RCBS 201gr SWC.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any of the H&G 68 type boolits.

I have a 4 cavity MP that is great and feeds well in every 45 I've tried it in. My SIL has a Para p-12 that works better with my hand loads than it does with PMC hardball. Saeco, Lee, Lyman and RCBS all make similar designs. "Pays your money and you takes your choice."
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I'm using both LEE 200 swc in three different 1911's with good results.

Boolit Grand Master

H&G 68 clone, MP has a wonderful one. 452460 is a great second choice.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

My favorites- Saeco 62069 200 gr SWC and the Lyman 452374 225 grain. The Saeco is a classic wadcutter and the Lyman looks like John Browning's intended profile for the .45 ACP. It also makes a beautiful classic .45 lead round nose Colt load. A belt full looks perfect with an old .45 Colt or similar in the holster.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    My favorite 45 moulds are H&G. I modified an old style H&G 68 that had a .060 BB by removing .045 from the top of the mould and it drops 185 grains from my alloy. I modified a four and eight cavity.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master

Go down to the thread entitled "Saeco #058 215 gr 45ACP?". Read all the posts. Interesting observations. I have the SAECO 68, old mold. 200 gr SWC. That's what I use in a 1911 Commander and Glock 30. Feeds like a dream in either.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

THE one outstanding bullet in the .45 ACP is the old H&G #68 (a 200 gr SWC). It is designed with the same "strike" when feeding as the 230 gr Hard Ball military load. This promotes reliable feeding. It cuts clean holes in the targets and will give accuracy at the potential of the firearm firing it.

My favorite is Mihec's rendition. I have both the six cavity aluminum one and the four cavity brass one. Either is a superb mould for a superb bullet.

I have fired over 100,000 rounds through my 1911 and it will still shoot well under an inch at 25 yards.

FWIW
    Dale53

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast